Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-21-2013, 09:07 AM   #29

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_Boss View Post
When you say "transfer in" are you saying that I already have BCBS somewhere else? I will definitely look very closely at this issue.
Unless you have a BCBS policy as a pension benefit BCBS will not issue you a policy unless you have an actual address where you physically reside for more than six months each year.

When we moved to SD we had a private NH BCBS policy that we bought when I retired. It was a continuation of coverage I had at the company I worked for but was a private policy we paid for. BCBS SD would not sell us a policy because we did not meet the residency requirements listed above.

In NH we had fudged and used my daughter's address after we sold our house.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-21-2013, 09:13 AM   #30

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay L View Post
Unless you have a BCBS policy as a pension benefit BCBS will not issue you a policy unless you have an actual address where you physically reside for more than six months each year....
Mine would FEHB as a retired federal pension.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:25 AM   #31

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_Boss View Post

When you say "transfer in" are you saying that I already have BCBS somewhere else? I will definitely look very closely at this issue.
Basically correct. You need to have the ability to transfer it in somehow or have it as part of a pension that gets around the BCBS residency requirements in SD. Or, you need to physically own property in SD. The mailing addresses will not be accepted.

You can open other high deductable policies in SD with your mail forwarding address, but not BCBS.
Old 02-23-2013, 07:32 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelingIt View Post
Unless you can transfer in from somewhere else under BCBS you won't be able to get BCBS in SD. They don't accept mail forwarding addresses for their insurance and require 6-month stay in SD. Unfortunately we ran into this when we domiciled there and that's the reason we're currently on a high deductible plan with Coventry. So if BCBS is critical for you, I would look into this thoroughly.

Texas is different. Escapees have established (in court) their address as legal domicile, so BCBS will accept you there without any transfer.
He has a federal group plan so the rules are not the same. BCBS is just the administrator. See Kayjulia's post.

Sue
Old 02-23-2013, 03:36 PM   #33

Winnebago Owners Club
If you are not committed to the north and or west, you might consider Tennessee as domicile. There is another thread of discussion on irv2 about that.
One site that evaluated different states, listed it as one of the top 4 to consider. I will try to find that link. The other three were of course, South Dakota, Texas and Forida. There are some issues discussed on the other thread which one should consider the pros and cons, so it might not be ideal for everyone.
Just saying.
Trekkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 04:03 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekkers View Post
If you are not committed to the north and or west, you might consider Tennessee as domicile. There is another thread of discussion on irv2 about that.
One site that evaluated different states, listed it as one of the top 4 to consider. I will try to find that link. The other three were of course, South Dakota, Texas and Forida. There are some issues discussed on the other thread which one should consider the pros and cons, so it might not be ideal for everyone.
Just saying.
Unless you have investment income. TN taxes investment income and SD, TX and FL do not.

Sue
Old 03-01-2013, 03:10 PM   #35

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
We became Florida residents when we went Full Time. We use St. Brendan's Island mail service. They provided all the documents necessary to declare Florida as our state of Domicile. They provide an address that Florida accepts for car registration, Drivers License and Voting. It took us one visit to Florida to get our drivers license everything else has been done via email, snail mail or internet. There is no income tax on anything. Vehicle registration is $87.00 per year regardless of vehicle type. There is no vehicle inspection like TX or the need for a special license for driving an RV. After 7 years we are very happy with being Florida residents.
itdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 04:14 PM   #36

Freightliner Owners Club
Howevver, Fla has a much higher auto insurance, then the other location.
gatorcq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 05:00 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyJC View Post
Which is precisely why I carry a copy of TTC Section 521 in the console of my truck. This isn't the only thing that gets fouled up between the governing law and the Drivers License Handbook.
It's admittedly very confusing the way the law is worded and some official publications being wrong doesn't help either, but I researched this as well and Rusty is correct, in Texas a non-commercial Class A is required for a towed trailer only if the truck's GCWR (gross combination weight rating) is over 26,000 lbs AND the towed load (5th wheel) is over 10,000 lbs.

I doubt very much whether a DPS trooper would ever hassle you over this anyway, the only time it might come up is if you were in an accident and wanted to be sure that you were legally licensed. But regardless, the law is as described above.
smiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 05:28 PM   #38

I am learning more and more, thanks to turtle for bringing this up. But here's a question, if you do a SD domicile and then say you buy a lot in Florida.......then what do you do? We are fulltime now and we are really trying to figure all of this out the first time around.
Old 03-03-2013, 05:40 PM   #39

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 336muffin
I am learning more and more, thanks to turtle for bringing this up. But here's a question, if you do a SD domicile and then say you buy a lot in Florida.......then what do you do? We are fulltime now and we are really trying to figure all of this out the first time around.
You can own property on the moon and be domiciled anywhere on earth. Property ownership is not contingent on where you call home for voting, vehicle registration, etc. Don't sweat the small stuff. Oh and BTW, it's all small stuff. Call around - Americas Mailbox or another is SD, Escapees in Tx etc. They are there to answer your questions. We're leaning SD. I think they make it easier to accomplish but YMMV.
Steve
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 10:21 PM   #40

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Spartan Chassis
FWIW, cost of annual safety inspection here in Texas for my 42 foot DP is $14.50.

Sales tax on motor home is 6.25%

Annual registration is $342

No personal property tax or anything like that.

No state income tax.

And you get to have TX plates, wear a big hat, and brag a lot!
2017 Dutch Star 4018 - Sold - Towing Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
deaton is offline   Reply With Quote