Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-08-2019, 05:55 PM   #1

Most effective insulation option(s)?

We are currently in eastern Washington and our Arctic Fox 29-5k fifth wheel is doing pretty well. However, the bedroom floor is pretty cold. Its over the pin box and the front un-insulated storage compartment (generator compartment but we don't have a generator). What are the best insulation options for keeping this warmer?

We are going to get a space heater but also looking into additional options. We are wondering if a 5th wheel skit works or if we should look at adding insulation to the storage compartments. The furnace vent goes about 2 feet into the bedroom and ends there. Thanks!
roadcamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-08-2019, 06:19 PM   #2

There are a lot of options to keep a camper warm in cold weather. We use reflectix cutouts to cover our windows when the temps get into the 30's and we will immediately notice the difference. Reflectix can also be used for the back of cabinets and closet wall using double sticky tape. If your major concern is the upstairs floor, look at adding a thick shag type carpet and if you want to think outside of the box, use a electric blanket for a carpet pad.
I have a small heating pad under my desk carpet to keep my feet warm and it works great.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	reflectix-radiant-barrier-bp48025-64_1000.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	234505  
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 10:07 AM   #3

If its mainly just the floor in that one room, sounds to me like you probably have hardwood or laminate flooring there. Which I like BTW. But in any case, I wouldn't make this difficult. This weather will pass soon enough.

I'd just throw down a couple of nice area rugs, wear some slippers or something, and a nice space heater will work very well. We have two space heaters. A smaller counter top model that we keep in the bedroom and a larger, tall floor model. The floor model one keeps our entire living space very toasty.
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 10:15 AM   #4

Remove the overhang/pin box cover and INSULATE that area.
You will find it has very little insulation

Basement compartment......
Is furnace in that area?
If so....add a vent with closable vent cover so it blows warm air into basement compartment

-19*F snow/ice and we stayed roasty toasty
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 10:35 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadcamping View Post
We are currently in eastern Washington and our Arctic Fox 29-5k fifth wheel is doing pretty well. However, the bedroom floor is pretty cold. Its over the pin box and the front un-insulated storage compartment (generator compartment but we don't have a generator). What are the best insulation options for keeping this warmer?

We are going to get a space heater but also looking into additional options. We are wondering if a 5th wheel skit works or if we should look at adding insulation to the storage compartments. The furnace vent goes about 2 feet into the bedroom and ends there. Thanks!
Why is the Floor Cold? - Because the Air under it is COLD!

IMHO two options - Insulate the Floor with Rigid Foam - https://www.homedepot.com/p/Thermash...-100573703-_-N - this has reflective foam and 2" of insulation for the highest level of insulation - to keep the cold out - think of it like a cooler - R-13 in 2"'s is really Good.

Second option is to Heat the Space - Electric heater and insulate the outside walls with say 1" of the sheets above - this will allow the warm air to keep the floor warm making you feel Better.

Insulation can be attached with spray foam and screws and fender washers - cut and seal to make it very effective.

JMHO,
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 11:07 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Busskipper View Post
Why is the Floor Cold? - Because the Air under it is COLD!

IMHO two options - Insulate the Floor with Rigid Foam - https://www.homedepot.com/p/Thermash...-100573703-_-N - this has reflective foam and 2" of insulation for the highest level of insulation - to keep the cold out - think of it like a cooler - R-13 in 2"'s is really Good.

Second option is to Heat the Space - Electric heater and insulate the outside walls with say 1" of the sheets above - this will allow the warm air to keep the floor warm making you feel Better.

Insulation can be attached with spray foam and screws and fender washers - cut and seal to make it very effective.

JMHO,

I like the rigid foam board too. I lined all my outside walls ( in hidden areas) inside closets, behind drawers, behind cabinets etc with it. Why not to the subfloor in the area below your floor?

Simply cut it to fit, apply Liquid Nail, duct tape seams in large areas. IMHO it will hold up longer than bubble foil. Bubble foil is great for windows, if you aren’t claustrophobic
Old 10-01-2019, 03:08 PM   #7

We just bought these: (Click here) and LOVE IT! Stops the cold immediately and has the added bonus of being somewhat soft so when I'm standing doing dishes I feel a bit more comfortable.

DANG! I wish I had seen these first tho..(see below)..they look like WOOD! And of course they don't have any in stock, we'd have to order them and we wouldn't see them for 10 or 15 days...ugh. Guess we'll just stay with the gray ones. Hope someone here tries them and reports back as to how they look.

I will say they are easy to install and cut and you will notice almost instantly it stops the cold from pouring in. Our legs were always cold under the kitchen table and now they're not. Don't even need the blankets draped over them any longer. It also 'seems' like it's quieter inside now. Or maybe we just both stopped complaining out loud! LOL!

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Achim-Wa...3-06/303101998
1997 RexAir 32' Ford F53 Chassis, Banks system.
TriMoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 07:35 AM   #8

I cleared an area in the basement and used a small box electric heater. Not only did it keep the floor warm it seemed to warm the air also. I could feel warm air coming from the heating vents from the electric heater heating the duct work. I used a metal basket tuned upside down and place the electric heater on top of it.

It felt nice to walk on a warmed floor.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 03:31 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
I cleared an area in the basement and used a small box electric heater.
I sure wouldn't be comfortable using a heater unattended in the basement.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 12:51 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
I use a vinyl skirting I had custom made for mine. it's great I take it off in the spring wash it up and put in my bags and store it. The Amish do it up here and it's not bad priced I have a 40 Toy now and with the extra foot and D rings it was 2200.00. the plus is if it does get cool you can put a nice little electric under it and run it.
Old 10-07-2019, 12:19 PM   #11

RMable: Dang...at first glance I thought the price was $220 and I almost PM'd you to get the info to order this! But $2200...yikes..that's a different story. Yeah..I'll probably just use the Rmax Thermasheath. But of course, you can't store it easily.
1997 RexAir 32' Ford F53 Chassis, Banks system.
TriMoot is offline   Reply With Quote