Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-30-2015, 11:03 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by chief02 View Post
Why is a MH easier to set up? My fiver has all automatic stuff. I pull one handle to disconnect. My sewer hose is always attached in a swing out storage tube. My water hose and 50 amp cord is the same as a MH. Automatic satellite. Appliances are the same as a MH. My fiver has a minus 10 degree freeze guarantee. My preference is a fiver for these reasons as well as better mileage, less maintenance and repair cost, easier to heat and cool, less cost per square foot of living space. But I have in some very elegant MoHo's.
X2
markandkim is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-30-2015, 01:46 PM   #16

X3, I don't think un-hitching is as hard, or as much of a hassle as it is to un- hiching your toad somewhere before or after you park tour MH, and then doing it again before you leave. In fact I know a 5er is easier. It's more or less a personal preference. Some would also argue that a small toad is cheaper on gas once you get settled, but our Ram gets 21-22 mpg on the hwy, and 16 in town. That's not killing me in fuel costs. Just my $0.02.
RVM #104
Dasmoeturhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 05:57 PM   #17

we looked at and considered both before pulling the trigger .... the 2 things that directed our decision was ... we wanted to most room for living we could get ... after all this is where we live .... secondly, we spend 1/4 of our year in the SanFran Bay area ... and the thought of getting around San Fran in a big truck didn;t seem like a good idea ...

But was our basis .... yours could be a bit different .........

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
hal1phx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 04:24 PM   #18

Yeah, I can understand that. It seems California's parking spots are now painted for Smart Cars.
RVM #104
Old 02-02-2015, 12:01 PM   #19
Elf

Tiffin Owners Club
One consideration for us is the view while traveling. We love the huge windshield and the higher view point in our motorhome. There are a lot of things we see that we would have missed sitting a bit lower to the ground.
Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 04:45 PM   #20
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by chief02 View Post
Why is a MH easier to set up? My fiver has all automatic stuff. I pull one handle to disconnect. My sewer hose is always attached in a swing out storage tube. My water hose and 50 amp cord is the same as a MH. Automatic satellite. Appliances are the same as a MH. My fiver has a minus 10 degree freeze guarantee. My preference is a fiver for these reasons as well as better mileage, less maintenance and repair cost, easier to heat and cool, less cost per square foot of living space. But I have in some very elegant MoHo's.

Bill, I get almost exactly the same mileage in the MH pulling a toad as I got pulling a 36' 5er with a Ford F250 PSD.
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 06:11 PM   #21

So I get 11 mpg towing a 17.5 K 5th wheel, and your getting that with a MH?
RVM #104
Old 02-04-2015, 06:21 PM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jammer3025 View Post

So I get 11 mpg towing a 17.5 K 5th wheel, and your getting that with a MH?
To properly compare apples to apples it would have helped to include WHAT you are towing the 17.5 K 5th wheel with.

Just sayn'

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 06:45 PM   #23

Motorhome or 5th Wheel to Full Time?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Field Trip View Post
We are preparing for my retirement, selling our home & full timing. And can't wait!

We are considering a new motorhome (DP) and recently are considering a 5th Wheel.

We currently have an 05 DSDP that has all of the stuff, but are deposing something newer. We are the original owners of the DSDP.

We had planned on purchasing a new truck for our adventures so moving up to one to tow a 5 is not that big of an issue.

Looking for opinions on either.

Ideas of a high quality 5th wheel? We know nothing about these products.

Field Trip, I don't think the MH or 5er difference is enough to matter anymore. The technology on hitches and leveling have come a long way. Folks go one way or another, some do both as they go, and all of that is just fine!
I consider a 5er a great choice for when I slow down a bit. If that happens, a Mobil Suites and an F350 is possible. Both are high quality. Depends on the weight of the 5er. It might need an F550.
Best wishes and happy trails!

RVM1
AKA: Captain Forehead
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 06:54 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
To properly compare apples to apples it would have helped to include WHAT you are towing the 17.5 K 5th wheel with.

Just sayn'

Dr4Film ----- Richard
I pull with a Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins Diesel. It would also be nice to know the particulars of the MH that is getting the same MPG as a TV with a 5th wheel.

Most of the folks I talk with that own Motor homes get around 8 mpg. Not knowing for sure myself I'm curious when someone says the MH gets as good as milage as a 5th wheel rig.
RVM #104
Old 02-14-2015, 07:07 PM   #25

The age old question, if you are staying put for long periods then 5th wheel. Moving a lot then MH.
go4dsnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 09:00 PM   #26

Newmar Owners Club
Well things moved faster than we thought, but all good. Actually, we are blessed to have this level of fortune.
Sold the house in 2 days for full ask & $25k over appraisal. Children pilfered most of our stuff, then off to Salvation Army & Good Will with the balance of our stuff.
Moved into the DSDP until we figured out what next. Put the DSDP up on RV Trader & sold it in 1 day for $3k less than ask.
Decided to go to the 5th wheel as if feels like a home.
Ordered our F-450 & DRV Elite Suite 5th wheel. Waiting on both to arrive.
Fulltiming here we are!
Old 05-15-2015, 08:05 AM   #27

Great story ... blessed indeed ....
Congrats ... and we look forward to hearing about your continued adventures ....

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
hal1phx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 09:22 AM   #28
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Everything else being equal, I would go with the MH. We pulled a 5er for 12 years before getting the MH. The 5er was great for weekend trips with occasional longer trips, but for retirement we wanted the convenience of the MH! JMHO
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel, full time, motorhome