Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-22-2014, 12:13 PM   #43

MyRVdream - just so you'll know, there are some smaller travel trailers and even a fifth wheel, that your truck can tow quite safely. They are mostly fiberglass. Scamp is one brand, there are others.

Good luck in your journeys.

G L Arnold
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-22-2014, 12:32 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuntingHawk View Post
Your RN license is only good for the state its issued. Only exception I know of is working for the VA.

With a TT the size of your tow vehicle limits the weight of what you can tow. And the gas hog becomes your daily driver.
But with a motorhome you can have an economy daily driver & tow it behind the motorhome.
Not trying to talk you out of a TT but give you something to think about.
I wish I had started at the VA actually, before the age of 30, could have retired by 50 with full benefits! Oh well, maybe in my next life. I will look into traveling opportunities with the VA though, hadn't though about that.
myrvdream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 12:36 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by glarnold View Post
MyRVdream - just so you'll know, there are some smaller travel trailers and even a fifth wheel, that your truck can tow quite safely. They are mostly fiberglass. Scamp is one brand, there are others.

Good luck in your journeys.

G L Arnold
If I could tow a fifth wheel I would be thrilled! I get mixed information on the safety of this idea though. I know that there are some ultra lights coming out that may work. I love my truck but when I bought it I was thinking strictly interns of a tt for camping not in terms of full timing, that idea (obsession) evolved later on. The fiberglass models I have looked at are super cute but too small.
Old 05-22-2014, 12:47 PM   #46

Did you check out the Scamp 19 ft fifth wheel? About 2400 pounds.
Old 05-22-2014, 01:17 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by glarnold View Post
Did you check out the Scamp 19 ft fifth wheel? About 2400 pounds.
This unit definitely has benefits, lite weight, no risk of leaking, half ton towable fiver. Would be fun for camping…and is cute as heck! If I could find a good deal on one one I might consider it…but not for full timing…I know I'll want a slide out or two for that. I think I have seen some bigger units that are touted as half ton towable. My f150 ecoboost can tow 11,000 lbs, it is payload I am concerned about. This wouldn't be an issue with the scamp though, you are right! Oh forgot to mention that my truck also has the "max tow" package. I need to see how that affects it's payload capacity.
Old 05-22-2014, 02:23 PM   #48

What you really need to be looking at is tow capacity & tongue weight versus payload.
When you increase weight in the truck you decrease tow capacity.
HuntingHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 02:52 PM   #49

Quote:
What you really need to be looking at is tow capacity & tongue weight versus payload.
When you increase weight in the truck you decrease tow capacity.
I see it helps to be able to do some quick math when buying an rv. Is there an app for that??? I get confused by that stuff and usually just ask the sales person even though I know they can not always be trusted to be knowledgeable enough or maybe just want to sell.
Old 05-22-2014, 02:57 PM   #50

What I'm hearing from myrvdream is it is about the journey. Going small is not enjoying the journey in comfort. You could probably do it in a popup but would probably be miserable.
Old 05-22-2014, 03:16 PM   #51

Basic rule of thumb is for each pound added on the truck its two pounds less that can be towed. If you go with a 5th wheel you will also have to figure the cost & weight of the rig added to the bed.
But with a 5th wheel it handles alot better then a TT because the pivot point is moved forward rather then on the rear bumper.

If you want info on what your truck can handle, contact a Ford service center rather then RV salesman.
Old 05-22-2014, 03:21 PM   #52

One more thing to consider is posted weight of a TT. That is empty weight. Add propane, water, food, camping gear, etc & you might be adding another 2,000lbs to the TT weight.
Old 05-22-2014, 03:49 PM   #53

Quote:
Basic rule of thumb is for each pound added on the truck its two pounds less that can be towed. If you go with a 5th wheel you will also have to figure the cost & weight of the rig added to the bed.
But with a 5th wheel it handles alot better then a TT because the pivot point is moved forward rather then on the rear bumper.

If you want info on what your truck can handle, contact a Ford service center rather then RV salesman.

That's the part I like about the fifth wheel, the maneuverability seems better. And, the entire length of the rig is shorter, without sacrificing space in the trailer. Good rule of thumb, seems pretty easy to figure that way. I don't know about my truck though, it has a short bed. I don't know if there's anything that I could do to make that work.
Old 05-22-2014, 04:11 PM   #54

The whole idea behind a 5er is getting the pivot point forward of the rear axle & should be able to do that. Even if the pivot point is at the rear axle that is still better then several feet to the rear like with a TT.

If you go the 5th wheel route have the bed attachment professionally installed. Proper alignment means the 5er will track better.

A decent RV dealer will have a truck & 5er you can use to test if its right for you. They have to have a truck to move those 5ers around on the lot.
Old 05-22-2014, 04:31 PM   #55

Pretty sure I have that wandering gene! 😜 Maybe it's why I graduated High School in June, left for the Navy in July. Like a 3 week vacation. I've been to Hawaii, Japan, S. Korea, Taiwan, Australia, Philippines, oh yeah and the North Pole (that was fun &#128540
UncleBilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 04:41 PM   #56

20 years USN cured me of that wondering gene.