Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-02-2017, 04:18 AM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkf View Post
Usually most DP have 100 gal tanks and you can go about 900 to 1000 miles and there is always diesel in that range
Not sure I agree with the above statement. Most DP's get in the 7 to7.5 range if the owner's want to be honest, and I am looking for fuel WAY before I am running on fumes, so if I figure refueling before I hit my "reserve" at 1/4 tank, my "range" is really 75 gallons at my 7 mpg (I use the lower end figure) planning figure, my "range" is no more than 525 miles, and that is if I KNOW that I can get fuel when I hit the 1/4 tank mark.

In reality, and since my generator will no longer draw from the main tank when it goes below 1/4 tank, I am thinking about fuel pretty hard when I reach the 400 mile mark, which is less than half the figure you are quoting, but that's just me! And, yes, we have a 100 gallon diesel tank. I am looking at adding another 50 gallon tank.
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-02-2017, 08:05 AM   #58

Tiffin Owners Club
We never go to "camp" with less than 3/4 of a tank of fuel. This way I am never concerned the next morning we are going to travel about finding a place to gas up till later in the day.

momdoc
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 09:52 AM   #59

Monaco Owners Club
I'll grant you - acceptable fueling stations (i.e., ones large enough to accommodate a large diesel pusher) are NOT quite as common as stations that can serve up regular gas. However, I can't help but feel citing this as a reason to avoid a DP is a bit of a stretch.

With folks citing ranges from 525 to 1,000 miles per tank - it seems like a bit of a stretch to think that fuel availability is much of a limitation. Semi trucks can be found making pickups and deliveries anywhere and everywhere there are roads in North America.

Sure, when you're in the more remote areas - you need to be a little more diligent about fueling before you get too deep into your tank - but let's honest about the practical scope of this concern. In the big scheme of things - the availability of diesel fuel is NOT a real problem.
Old 03-02-2017, 04:59 PM   #60

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hit_the_Rhod View Post
Not sure I agree with the above statement. Most DP's get in the 7 to7.5 range if the owner's want to be honest,
well now that you have called loads of us liars, we have over 100K miles of records and we average 8.76 mpg. Of course we aren't lead foots, drive in the 62 mph range, we fill when we get to about 1/2 a tank. That is usually after 2 days of driving (we only do about 4 hrs/day) and we usually fuel in the afternoon before stopping for the night.

Quote:
and I am looking for fuel WAY before I am running on fumes, so if I figure refueling before I hit my "reserve" at 1/4 tank, my "range" is really 75 gallons at my 7 mpg (I use the lower end figure) planning figure, my "range" is no more than 525 miles, and that is if I KNOW that I can get fuel when I hit the 1/4 tank mark.

In reality, and since my generator will no longer draw from the main tank when it goes below 1/4 tank, I am thinking about fuel pretty hard when I reach the 400 mile mark, which is less than half the figure you are quoting, but that's just me! And, yes, we have a 100 gallon diesel tank. I am looking at adding another 50 gallon tank.
Where are you going in the US that you think you can not find diesel fuel? Seriously, ever farm town in the US has diesel - yes, you might have to unhook your toad, but it really isn't a problem and since you have a wide cushion, it is unfathomable that you can't figure out how to easily get fuel. BTW, similar size gas motorhomes are no easier to fuel - in fact, they can be harder as most truck stops don't have gas available in the truck lanes.
Blog
Barbaraok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 05:26 PM   #61

I can't see finding diesel to be an issue. I don't have any trouble finding it wherever I might be. Gas buddy app is great
gtsum2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 07:23 AM   #62

[QUOTE=Hit_the_Rhod;3482243]Not sure I agree with the above statement. Most DP's get in the 7 to7.5 range if the owner's want to be honest,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbaraok View Post
well now that you have called loads of us liars, we have over 100K miles of records and we average 8.76 mpg. Of course we aren't lead foots, drive in the 62 mph range, we fill when we get to about 1/2 a tank. That is usually after 2 days of driving (we only do about 4 hrs/day) and we usually fuel in the afternoon before stopping for the night.

Don't recall saying that ANYONE was a liar. Perhaps you need to re-read my post and this time look at the work "Most". Google has some great definitions of what the word means if you're interested!

and I am looking for fuel WAY before I am running on fumes, so if I figure refueling before I hit my "reserve" at 1/4 tank, my "range" is really 75 gallons at my 7 mpg (I use the lower end figure) planning figure, my "range" is no more than 525 miles, and that is if I KNOW that I can get fuel when I hit the 1/4 tank mark.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbaraok View Post
Where are you going in the US that you think you can not find diesel fuel? Seriously, ever farm town in the US has diesel - yes, you might have to unhook your toad, but it really isn't a problem and since you have a wide cushion, it is unfathomable that you can't figure out how to easily get fuel. BTW, similar size gas motorhomes are no easier to fuel - in fact, they can be harder as most truck stops don't have gas available in the truck lanes.
I'm a little confused as to why you attribute a remark about not being able to find diesel fuel to ME?!? Please re-read the posts and figure out who actually said what. People perusing this and similar forums get the most out of INFORMED contributors!

I, like many people out there prefer not to do stupid or potentially dangerous things like run out of fuel, so yes, I do think about that. I also think about things like health of the engine and related systems, tire pressures, etc. Perhaps it comes from thousands of hours flying fixed wing and rotary wing aircraft when "running out of fuel" is a little more serious than pulling over to the side of the road. That does not mean I have trouble FINDING fuel.

Have a great day and get out and enjoy whatever rig you have!
Old 03-03-2017, 01:15 PM   #63

During our travels we stayed off interstates. We never had a problem finding diesel on secondary highways, including Canada and Alaska. Don't overthink this. Wherever you travel there will be people living in remote areas who drive diesel trucks. However, in those kinds of areas you don't drive until you're nearing 1/4 tank and you don't keep driving to find the best price.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 07:59 PM   #64

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Wow.... leave for a few days and things get testy

My only problem finding fuel off the beaten path is finding a pump that gives you more than a $100 at a time.
bfam2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 06:05 AM   #65

true, but the reason is mostly due to the control from the credit card or debit card company limits: they 'ping' your card for a positive balance to allow you to start pumping, but they limit the amount because they don't want you to be able to pump 'more' than you may actually have available : /

I run into this all of the time when I pump diesel into my 90 gallon tank at normal gas stations - some stop at $75, $100, or $125, you just never know...
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 07:59 AM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterT View Post
true, but the reason is mostly due to the control from the credit card or debit card company limits: they 'ping' your card for a positive balance to allow you to start pumping, but they limit the amount because they don't want you to be able to pump 'more' than you may actually have available : /

I run into this all of the time when I pump diesel into my 90 gallon tank at normal gas stations - some stop at $75, $100, or $125, you just never know...
MisterT,

Actually I'm pretty sure that it isn't my credit card company that is putting the restriction on the amount you can pump. Not only have I called them and put that question to them, but if it was the credit card company doing the limits, it would be stop at the same limit $$ amount regardless of what filling station you are using. You post reinforced that fact. In reality, I'm pretty sure it is the individual filling stations that are setting the limit.
Old 03-06-2017, 09:56 AM   #67

You are correct. The filling stations impose limits.
markandkim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 10:24 AM   #68
rkf

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtsum2 View Post
I can't see finding diesel to be an issue. I don't have any trouble finding it wherever I might be. Gas buddy app is great

I'm in agreement with you about finding fuel. If you do as any Captain of his ship keep an eye out on all functions of the engine fuel water level and temperature transmission. Maybe we should just put idiot lights and make them come on when you have a real problem.
rkf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 11:52 AM   #69

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfam2008 View Post
Wow.... leave for a few days and things get testy

My only problem finding fuel off the beaten path is finding a pump that gives you more than a $100 at a time.

I have found that we can always swipe twice on a given card. One reason we have a Pilot/Flying J RV card is that we swipe it and can pump as much as we need. Or just walk over to the fuel desk and have them swipe and pump what you need.
Blog
Barbaraok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 02:00 PM   #70

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Me too... Flying J is easy-peasy. It's the small chain stop'n'rob that don't generally get a big MH in. Anymore I just go inside and tell them its going to be so much.... which is what I calculate from the price per gallon, my silverleafs gallons remaining, plus about $50. That works most of the time
bfam2008 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice