Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-06-2015, 07:00 AM   #15

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks UFO, as I said I was not interested in doing the research on this one....

And I agree with the comment "Stupid Law" someone mentioned..

Sadly most of our politicians now days represent the 51st and 52nd states, Denial and Confusion.
(And for the record,, it does not matter which side of the isle they sit on). I do from time to time see evidence that some of 'em have a clue, but far too many, on every side, are in Denial or Confusion.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-06-2015, 07:45 AM   #16

in cali you cannot, and I have to see my doctor every month, and I asked him if he could write me advanced scripts and he said no, probably because of the money he would lose

Quote:
Originally Posted by qchair62 View Post
You can still get 90 day supply of hydrocodone in some states. I know you can in NC and MS. My mail order pharmacy does require a written rx mailed in, but does give the three month supply. Some states like FL won't allow 90 day supplies.
hammer55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 07:56 AM   #17

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
My last urine test I got a bill from the lab for 2,300.00.

It was knocked down to like 60.00 after all the deductions, but the idea that any lab rates could charge that much for a drug screen is unbelievable.

The law is a headache but even before it started, my Dr. group always wanted me in there before a 90 day period, so I am used to going every 90 days for the appointment anyway. I had two procedures in late last year, October and December, one was the burning of the facet nerves (seems to be good so far) and the prior procedure other was a block on the left side facet joints of the nerves..this is all in the lumbar area.

I have the typical stuff, stenosis, arthritis, and what I have to treat for, a bone spur on the nerve root at L-4, L-5. Nothing can be done with that but surgery, which I refuse at this point in my life.

I don't know what or how to help you in this, OP, I can't imagine how difficult it would be to be on the road with these rules they have all drafted up.

If I were on the road, I guess I'd have to look ahead to another pain management group and have my records (hopefully electronic) sent to them for the test and so on....what a mess. I feel for you.
Old 03-06-2015, 11:18 AM   #18

Regarding the urine test, all lab work can easily be done at local labs such as LabCorp or SonoranQuest or even the local hospital labs. We've done it many times.

The problem you need to solve is the new Class of drug prescriptions. It is going to be a problem for full-timers and going to a chain pharmacy is not the answer as someone stated. This is completely different from regular prescriptions.

As HSBAMABob stated above, talk to your doctor about predating the monthly prescriptions. Perhaps that will work. One thing, you DO need a new hand-written prescription each time you fill it. Even your doctor faxing it isn't going to work.

If you plan to stay in one area for 4 months or so, such as in the winter, I would surely set up a new doctor in that area so you can return to him each winter. We did that for winter because we found a place that we liked. I guess the same could go for summer but having to stay in one place for the season would be a real bummer unless that's what you like.

Good luck!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 11:47 AM   #19

Excel Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
It's the other 8-9 months a year that full-timers are on the move that has become the issue.
chief02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 12:49 PM   #20

Legalize marijuana then screw the seniors. Been happening most of our lives!
loisjop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 01:07 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
When doctors tell you that there is a new law that requires this, that, or the other thing (NOTE: I am not specifically addressing any test or product). It is a very good idea to ask to see the law.

OR, you may find he is giving it straight.. I do not know. BUT RESEARCH!!!!
As a licensed dentist and prescriber I will vouch that hydrocodeine can no longer be called into the pharmacy. I HATE this because my patients who have legit requests over the weekend now have to wait.

Once again the few who abuse ruin it for the rest

If you explain your situation to your PCP they may know someone in the area where you are going so that you can visit them when you are out of pain meds.

Unfortunately I see at least 1 person a week who reports vague symptoms and all they are seeking is a script for pain pills - some because of their addiction but others in order to sell them.

I can honestly tell you that lawmakers never even considered full time RVers when this law was passed!
Old 03-07-2015, 12:15 AM   #22

Norco is my problem. The government is my problem.

I understand that some people abuse Norco/Hydro. I've been taking it for many years. If I don't hurt I don't take it. Likewise if I'm having a really bad pain day, I take as many as I need. I say if folks want to abuse it, let 'em kill themselves.
So I have two problems I need a solution to: getting my Dr. to let me take a urine test during the winter where I happen to be at AND finding someone who is willing to pickup hard copies from my Dr. and having that same person toss all my meds in a box to overnight to me.

The reason this whole thing is tricky is because most of the meds I take are paid for by Worker's Comp who also pays for the doctor visits. I am one of the last people who was able to settle the claim with "open medical" before the law changed to no longer being able to do that and capped your medical to three yrs.
If I stopped taking any medication, like to try something new, it's almost impossible to get WC to start paying for it again. I don't think they are going to be pleased about paying a $270 doctor visit every 3 months when up til now I only went twice a yr. AND they will be billed for 3 office visits in 3 months and 3 urinalysis test in 3 months.

The only lucky part about any of this is my other health problem is also taken care of with these meds.
I do have medicare but I refuse to pay for any of this. UGH!
Inthervlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 12:53 AM   #23

My wife has a swan neck deformation, degenerative disc disease and a surgical fusion of C4, 5 and 6.

For years after the surgery she functioned fine taking Darvocet at the lowest dose available. Then Darvocet was removed from the market with the FDA declaring them unsafe. Her Dr. said "after 63 years of use it's suddenly unsafe?"

Consequently she now takes hydrocodone and has since Darvocet was no longer available.

Hydrocodone regulations have been changing for several years now. 5 years ago we took a trip to Maui and were going to be there for over a month. Her Dr wouldn't prescribe enough but did give her a written script to fill in Hawaii. When the time came we went to national chain (Walgreens). The pharmacist handed the prescription back and informed us that drugs such as hydrocodone the state required a prescription from a Hawaii licensed physician.

There was a minute clinic across the street. We saw the Dr there, showed him her surgical scar, and her prescription bottle and the written prescription from her Dr he wrote the prescription right away. Downside was the $165.00 charge for the office call.

90 days is the maximum number of days under federal law. States and practitioners can have more restrictive policies. Our Dr works for group that has established a policy of 60 max. They typically will not write for more than 30 days but he knows our situation. We are not full timers but we do go out for 30 to 60 days at a time and he is accommodating.

Urinalysis is to determine the patient has the appropriate level of the drug in their system for what is being prescribed. A big part of the law is driven by overdose deaths of patients with prescriptions and accidental overdose. Our Dr requires it between 4 and 6 months.

Another part of this is insurance prescription coverage. Our insurance coverage will only pay for a 26 day supply of any prescription and certainly not for month than one month. I can't figure that one out other than decreasing their cost while trying to claim affordable coverage and deductibles. It is the same result as if they just charged a higher premium.

Medical insurance and costs are absolutely ridiculous. For those of us with these pain med issues it is a nightmare to manage and afford.
stoners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 09:00 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammer55 View Post
in cali you cannot, and I have to see my doctor every month, and I asked him if he could write me advanced scripts and he said no, probably because of the money he would lose
Unfortunately the no 90 day policy is a state thing. The DEA took the advice of physicians and allowed the 90 day supply because many doctors said they just didn't need to see folks every month, and that it was an undue financial burden on patients. Some states have added to 30 day limit, like FL and CA as you say. I understand the theory behind the law trying to curb abuse and the pill mills, but I have been paralyzed for 26 years. I don't need to see my doctor every 30 days. I go when I need to and that is usually around twice a year for my GP. Urology....different story....ugh.
Old 03-10-2015, 08:01 AM   #25

this is why I am waiting to get off of workmans comp. I have been reading about the controversial medical marijuana, I don't mean the california i%^&ts and all the other states legalizing it for i$%^s who want to stay stoned, but with them being able to separated the Cannabinoids, and now being close to getting the getting high component separate and just using the pain relief component, then this will be my pain med, and the use for the medical doctor will only be needed to renew a cannabis card every two years,,,

changed a few words as to not offend the offendable
hammer55 is offline   Reply With Quote