Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-05-2015, 11:08 AM   #1

New laws on narcotics

I had the air sucked out of me by my doctor yesterday. I need to know how others are handling it.

I was set to go full time at the end of this month. I had previously spoken to my doctor about my plans. As it is now I see him every six months and take 6 medications.
I've sold my house, it's contents and my car.

Because of the new drug laws from last Oct. I was told I needed to schedule a urine test for the next 3 months and will need to schedule a urine test every 3 months after that.
I am on disability. So I don't make a whole lot to begin with. This new drug testing is going to ruin me. I begged my doctor to make an exception with me. I've taken the same meds for nearly 25 yrs. He said he couldn't.

Without the pain meds I'm lucky to get out of bed. I don't expect my quality of life to get any better because my health is now only 50% what it was 6 yrs ago.

Anyone else have this problem and if so, how are you and your doctor handling it?

I didn't know which forum to ask this in so I'll understand if it gets moved.
Inthervlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-05-2015, 11:11 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Do you actually need to go to your doctor, or can you have the test done wherever you are and have the results sent to him?

What specifically are they testing for? "Urine test" is pretty generic.
Old 03-05-2015, 11:27 AM   #3

Relax! Just as FlyingDiver explain u can get a "urine test" just about anywhere. When you pass have them send the test results electronically to your Doc. The Feds are testing to make sure the patients are not taking any "illegal" drugs in addition to what your Doc. Has prescribed. Just a suggestion: start having your scripts filled at a national chain pharmacy. This way you can get your refills anywhere in the "Good ol' USA. Enjoy your trip it will work out. Respectfully, Fireman Dave
pdidonato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 11:35 AM   #4

That is not part of the change that occured in october. What did occur is hydrocodone was changed from a class 3 to a class 2 controled substance. the ua tests are cya for your doctor. The government is breathing hard on doctors threatening legal actions/prosecution for over perscribing.The new regulations have actually caused an increase in perscriptions.In the past for minor procedures(that I felt the pt may or may not need pain med) I would tell my patients to call me if they needed pain med and I would call it in. Now because it can not be called in I write an rx when in doubt.
fla tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 11:36 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I haven't heard that one (urine test). According to my Doc, 1 month supply only, new Rx required every time (no refills), and you must be seen by the Doc every 3 to 6 months.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 11:38 AM   #6

except, you have to have a written script from the doctor, and have to carry it to the pharmacy, that is my problem traveling for months at a time, I take Vicodin, and it has to be written every month they cannot call it in,,,
hammer55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 11:41 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdidonato View Post
Relax! Just as FlyingDiver explain u can get a "urine test" just about anywhere. When you pass have them send the test results electronically to your Doc. The Feds are testing to make sure the patients are not taking any "illegal" drugs in addition to what your Doc. Has prescribed. Just a suggestion: start having your scripts filled at a national chain pharmacy. This way you can get your refills anywhere in the "Good ol' USA. Enjoy your trip it will work out. Respectfully, Fireman Dave
The idea is to test to make sure the patient is taking the meds and not selling them. No class 2 meds can be refilled an rx for class 2 meds can not be phoned/faxed in ,each Rx must be writen each time it is filled. All common narcotic pain meds are now class 2 (exept codine)
Old 03-05-2015, 11:41 AM   #8

Country Coach Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdidonato View Post
The Feds are testing to make sure the patients are not taking any "illegal" drugs in addition to what your Doc. Has prescribed.
Actually it's to make sure you are taking them not selling them.
1992 Country Coach Magna #4926 "Maggie" 25' Stacker "The Toy Box"
Facebook | IRV2[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old Car Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 11:46 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO Pilot View Post
I haven't heard that one (urine test). According to my Doc, 1 month supply only, new Rx required every time (no refills), and you must be seen by the Doc every 3 to 6 months.
Correct but frequency of being seen is 1 year. A doctor san give multiple Rx at the same time. They must be dated the day they are writen but do not fill before date can be added in the instructions.
Old 03-05-2015, 11:47 AM   #10

X3 - the new drug laws are designed to stop people from seeing multiple physicians to get multiple scripts for pain meds (this has been a HUGE problem and getting worse for years)

You can go to any Doc In The Box nationwide to get the urinalysis.

Visit your physician again and discuss this strategy:

Have your MD draft a letter & standing script for a urinalysis Q_90D (every 3 months). In the letter, have Her/Him explain you are under their care for [insert disease/disorder here] and taking [Insert Med(s) here] to control [insert treatment plan here].

You are a full time RVer with no current permanent address but claiming [insert City & State your MD is in here]. (Your name) is traveling throughout the United States and requires a urinalysis every 90 days for [insert reason here]. Please forward the results of this urinalysis to [insert Physician's address] to the attention of [Physician's name].

Since (your name) is a full time RVer, request you evaluate my patient and if you feel medically appropriate, please rescript the following medications:
[Meds list with dosage and amount info]

I think (but am not sure) this will cover you and I am hopeful (but not positive) that the standing RX would be honored by the Doc in the Box for your insurance/medicare/medicaid.

Again, discuss with your physician.

Another resource for you is to post on the RV.Net & Escapees forums. These are forums specifically for Full Timers -- I'll bet there are folks on these forums that are in the same situation you are in!

Good luck and I hope this helps!
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 12:43 PM   #11

You can still get 90 day supply of hydrocodone in some states. I know you can in NC and MS. My mail order pharmacy does require a written rx mailed in, but does give the three month supply. Some states like FL won't allow 90 day supplies.
Old 03-05-2015, 02:56 PM   #12

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
When doctors tell you that there is a new law that requires this, that, or the other thing (NOTE: I am not specifically addressing any test or product). It is a very good idea to ask to see the law.

here is why: My wife's Eye doctor insisted that Medicare required a specific 80 dollar test,, Now back then 80 bucks was big change for us.. (Things have improved starting 4 days before she died, but, Well, that's another issue).

I researched and found out that not only did Medicare not REQUIRE the test,, they actually advised against it and would not pay for it.

Now, I have no motive to research the law in this case.. But you do, Have fun, and find out. You may find your doctor was, as they used to say, "Speaking through his hat". and basically blowing hot air, NOT facts.

OR, you may find he is giving it straight.. I do not know. BUT RESEARCH!!!!
Old 03-05-2015, 06:58 PM   #13

The urine test is supposed to tell the doctor if I am taking my medication or selling them. I think it's completely stupid.
It's like the police putting an ad in the paper to warn drivers they will be doing a DUI check on a particular road.
I MUST see my doctor for 3 months in a row and have a urine test each time. Then every 3 months have another urine test.

We had previously talked about him giving me 6 copies of each medication so I could fill them wherever I happened to be.
When I see him again on the 1st I'm going to ask him if he will allow me to do the winter urine test at a hospital in Fresno. If he says no then I will need to decide what my next move will be.

Those who break the law have once again made it difficult for those of us who abide by the law. It's no wonder there's such a huge black market for pain pills.
The government already has access to my medical records and can see what is wrong with me and how long I've been taking each medication. I see him every 6 months and apparently it will now be every 3 months.
I'm going to see if the pharmacy will mail the meds to me or have a friend pick them up and mail them to me.

I'm starting to think the government is trying to do everything in their power to knock off people like me. We put in our time and when we get older and start costing the government money, POOF! lol

And thank you all so much for helping me work through this!
Inthervlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 07:25 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I just spent a lot of time researching this issue. It appears that in addition to the FDA rules, many States have adopted even stricter rules. I found that Washington State does in fact require random urine tests.

I just assumed the FDA made the rules and the individual States had no additional regulations.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote