Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-23-2017, 11:38 AM   #1

New Registration In TX...In Person?

We are/were planning to travel to TX to take care of our domicile stuff in Mid October, about two month before our MH ships from Newmar. We were planning on registering our MH in December...online. That doesn't appear to be an option nor does paying a third party to do so. It looks like that must be done in person, though the vehicle doesn't need to be present.

Is this correct? New registrations must be done in person?

Also, I'd think as long as we had a VIN we could register the MH. Anyone have experience with that? We can push the trip back a few weeks to wait for the VIN if that's possible.

If not, we may have to travel back to TX to register the MH.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-23-2017, 12:04 PM   #2

You will need a current inspection and proof of insurance to get it registered.

Old 09-23-2017, 12:34 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Thor Owners Club
we registered in Florida and they had to inspect the coach and I had to be there....
Old 09-23-2017, 06:08 PM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
County Tax Assessor-Collector
416 N. Washington
Livingston, TX 77351

Phone: 936-327-6801
Fax: 936-327-6885

You have to have your residence already in place - is that what you are going to do in October? If so, then just swing by the tax office, explain that you are buying the motorhome on such-and-such a date and they will let you know what you will need to send them to register it out-of-state. They are very helpful - they deal with this sort of thing all of the time.
Blog
Barbaraok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 08:06 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbaraok View Post
County Tax Assessor-Collector
416 N. Washington
Livingston, TX 77351

Phone: 936-327-6801
Fax: 936-327-6885

You have to have your residence already in place - is that what you are going to do in October? If so, then just swing by the tax office, explain that you are buying the motorhome on such-and-such a date and they will let you know what you will need to send them to register it out-of-state. They are very helpful - they deal with this sort of thing all of the time.
Thanks! We'll call on Monday but it's Saturday and we were hoping someone would know.

You're correct. We were going in October to set up and address, register our Jeep and get drivers licenses.
Old 09-24-2017, 03:34 AM   #6

in person

You do not need to be there in person. You also can write them a letter explaining you are out of state and will get inspection sticker when you return. Been doing that for five years as we spend winters in AZ when plates are do.
Old 09-24-2017, 04:04 AM   #7

It sounds like you havwn't established a TX address yet. That is #1 on your list and you can do that via the internet.

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y
Sue46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 04:42 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenkerb View Post
we registered in Florida and they had to inspect the coach and I had to be there....

I your case ... maybe. The inspection is just a VIN check. For Florida, it depends on whether the vehicle is sold by a dealer or private party. In the case of a dealer, a letter stating the vehicle has been inspected and the VIN matches the Title is all that is required.
Old 09-24-2017, 08:23 AM   #9

The reason I selected SD over TX was not only the requirement to have a Class B Non-CDL license in TX, but the sales taxes are almost twice as high. On a brand new Newmar, that will be signicant.
Old 09-24-2017, 10:08 AM   #10

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan McMartin View Post
Thanks! We'll call on Monday but it's Saturday and we were hoping someone would know.

You're correct. We were going in October to set up and address, register our Jeep and get drivers licenses.
Dan, I just told you how it works. Thouands of Escapees purchase vehicles out of state - Polk County knows this and knows how to work with us. Really, for questions of this kind, you should be posting on the Escapees forum (rvnetwork.com) as there are people who have just done it this year.
Blog
Old 09-25-2017, 06:31 AM   #11
Ex Millwright / Army Vet

Quote:
Dan, I just told you how it works. Thouands of Escapees purchase vehicles out of state - Polk County knows this and knows how to work with us. Really, for questions of this kind, you should be posting on the Escapees forum (rvnetwork.com) as there are people who have just done it this year.
Exactly.

You're also going to need a mail forwarding service anyway I'm sure, still want to vote and so on, so just call Escapees, join them and take all the headache out of this equation. They'll help explain in plain terms what to do. The address Barbaraok gave you is where all the MH paper work is done with the state. To register the MH, you will need a permanent domicile address (Escapees), recent inspection & tags, TX Drivers License, proof of Insurance, etc., etc., etc.

I can tell you're like me. You're trying to get ahead of the game and have everything wrapped up so you can pull out upon delivery. Trust me, these things take time, have to be thought out correctly and Escapees are the go to folks to help you figure out all these little details and the order in which they need to be done. We just went through all this about 2 months ago and we are Texas residents and planned well and we still ran into a couple of hiccups. You have a few more steps to do than we did.
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 11:58 AM   #12

We called Polk Co. and they verified the answers above. They told us it wouldn't be a problem and they would actually give us a packet of information to help get the MH registered out-of-state. We also asked a few other questions and they let us know that our plan was sound.

They told us what I already figured. There is no mention of out-of-state registration in the literature because full-timers are the exception and not the rule. When I mentioned the inspection issue and self-certifying the vehicle is out of state wasn't mentioned for new registrations either, they said the same thing. It's not common so it's not really addressed in the literature.

Looks like we're good to go. It's all a bit terrifying. We don't want to fly down and screw things up. We won't but the nagging fear is there
Old 09-26-2017, 05:36 PM   #13

Alpine Owners Club
Dan,

You need to go get a drink or something. You are overthinking this, causing yourself worry when none is needed. We gave you the correct info, Polk Cty confirmed it, so relax - go eat some salted Carmel ice cream (or your favorite) and find something else to worry about.
Blog
Old 09-27-2017, 11:20 AM   #14

Quote:
Dan,

You need to go get a drink or something. You are overthinking this, causing yourself worry when none is needed. We gave you the correct info, Polk Cty confirmed it, so relax - go eat some salted Carmel ice cream (or your favorite) and find something else to worry about.
I'm fine, I promise I do appreciate all your help, on this thread and others. From getting the kids off on their own, to selling our house, to buying a motorhome, to swapping domicile, we've been in a state of flux for a while. But we can see the finish line. There's just a lot to do between now and December. But when I get too frazzled, I'll try drinking and ice cream