Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-20-2015, 10:35 AM   #1

Thumbs up New RV'er needing Feedback

Hey y'all! I just registered on this site because I heard there are lots of knowledgeable folks and I could use some advice.
I just bought my first used RV, it is a 34 foot Fleetwood Bounder, it takes gas and it is a 1993. At the moment she sitting in 3 feet of snow with a huge tarp over her.. I live in CT.

I am a crazy outdoors lover/adventurer and I have dreamed of having an RV for a very long time!! I love camping and just being outside and "roughing it". However, this is a BIG responsibility and I want to know what I am doing.

So, I have some questions as I prepare for summer. I am looking to live in it over the summer, I have a place to park already(so that is taken care of) However, there is a LOT more I need to know (I am sure y'all already knew that though.)

My first question is: When the snow melts, what is the cheapest first step to take as far as inspecting it and finding out what needs fixin' (I already had all the under the hood stuff checked out, I just need to get all the actual inside/living space checked out...for example, the fridge, the lights, the outlets, the water pumps... Our plan was to have it professionally inspected by a place called Gustavo's in East Hampton..thoughts? Cheaper methods??

My second question is : Rubber roofers out there, I hear liquid rubber is a life saver, and we were thinking of redoing our roof with that ourselves. We need to order new ventcaps first, but then we should be good to go when it gets warm enough. Thoughts?

Third question: Any solar/composting toilet RV folks out there? We got a quote for installation and it is insane, we have the money technically....but we would prefer not to spend it.

Fourth: Our heating/cooling ceiling device on the ceiling is broken, but we dont care to fix it, we just don't want water to leak through it. Advice?

I will have more questions for a future thread but I just want to focus on getting the thing ready to live in for a couple of months, then I'll worry about how to use it!
WanderinJen is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-20-2015, 12:18 PM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
In regards to the DIY roof coating, I recommend EPDM. EPDM Coatings - Liquid EPDM Rubber Roof Coatings For Roof Leaks
http://www.epdmcoatings.com/document...iquid-roof.pdf

In regards to interior damage, was the water system it winterized.?

In regards to heating and cooling; use a small portable electric heater and electric blankets. For cooling, a portable electric box fan works nice to circulate the air and stores under the table.

You did not mention your tires. Check the "Born Dates" and for side wall cracking. RV tires age out before they wear out. http://www.ridewithg.com/2008/07/tir...hy-it-matters/
Doggy Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 12:25 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Welcome Jen, both here and to the wonderful world of RVing! I can read your excitement! There are good check lists available by searching here and on Google. Take it one item at a time and have fun. Good luck!
Bigdsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 12:41 PM   #4

@doggydaddy :
The tires were just replaced by the owner a year ago, and the water system was winterized, I heard epdm being really good as well!
Thank you for the heat/cool suggestions..do you know anything about catalytic heaters? I heard good things about them online.

@bigdsl:
Thank you! do you mean checklists for initial inspecting or checklists for general maintenance? Also, do you think it would be a rip off to get the interior inspected professionally or should I just do it myself with these checklists?
WanderinJen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 12:46 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Welcome... This link will get you started on the composting toilet information and some of the other Wynn videos may help with other questions. Good luck. https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...86475890,d.cWc
LarrytheBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 01:55 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Try this one Jen...
www.rv.org/enc6969.pdf
As far as a "professional" inspection, that can be a loaded question. You'd have to find someone local with verifiable experience in the field and without financial interest in doing the repair for a totally unbiased inspection. May be hard to do.

Remember IRV2 and Google are your friends.
Old 02-20-2015, 01:57 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
This one has a bunch of helpful checklists. Need An RV Checklist?... Here Are All The Best Checklists For RVers | The Fun Times Guide to RVing
Enjoy!
Old 02-20-2015, 02:18 PM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
You say you have a place to park it. You also asked about a composting toilet. That makes me think it is a private lot - not an RV park. If that is accurate have you checked to make sure there are no restrictions or zoning problems with living in an RV where you want to park it?
Old 02-21-2015, 07:42 PM   #9

Check out these three sites in their entirety. It will answer a lot of your present and future questions.

Wheeling It | Living the Fulltime RV Dream with 12 Paws, 40 Feet and the Open Road

Technomadia | Adventures in Nomadic Serendipity

Gone With the Wynns
cavedvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 12:50 PM   #10

hope you enjoy your new adventure !!!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
hal1phx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 07:07 AM   #11

Check out this video for a low-cost, low-tech composting toilet install in an RV:
LG61820 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 07:18 AM   #12

We are glad yall Joined us
Thornhammer is offline   Reply With Quote