Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-18-2011, 06:43 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
New to Fulltiming

We sold our sticks and bricks home last Nov.15/10 and started our fulltiming in a new to us 2008 Winnebago Tour (WD) we still have not really woke up to the fact that we are truly fulltiming as we have spent the winters in Florida for the last 4 years and this winter seems the same except for the new coach. We are Canadian (Ontario residents) and in 2011 we are planning a dream trip across Canada starting in August 2011 and returning to Ontario April 2012 we will go first to the west coast of Canada and then work our way through Washington-Oregon-California-Nevada-Arizona- Texas-Louisiana-Alabama and then back into Florida for the winter and then work our way back to Ontario in April 2012. My question is re Ontario Health insurance I have heard that we cannot be out of Ontario/Canada for more than 6 months how could we get around this if possible? anyone done a similar trip or been out of Ontario/Canada for more than 6 months, we both are over 65, appreciate any input
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-18-2011, 08:01 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
How would they know you are out of Canada?

My health insurance company doesn't have a clue where I am located at any given time.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 08:51 PM   #3

hi bgsc,
as residents of BC, we're running into the same questions. I know if you have a military pension that you would lose it if you stayed over 6 mo in the US, by reason of residency, and you'd have to do US taxes. I'll have to check to see what our medical coversage is. So our plan is to travel Canada for 6 and a bit, then be able to go south for the remainder. We only decided to become fulltimers last Oct too, but we didn't get off the starting block. We put our property up for sale, and sales are only starting to pick up now. Perhaps an idea would be for you to really enjoy the trip from Ont to BC and don't head down south until late Oct, and just before your 6 mo's is up head for the border. perhaps we'll meet up some day LP
LPryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 08:52 AM   #4

Angry Out of Province Canadians

My husband and I are also new to fulltiming it. We are both over 65. We left our home in Saskatchewan last August 15th and travelled East to the Atlantic Provinces and then south to Florida. We returned to Canada via the West Coast. We stayed in the USA for the 180 days and are now sitting in British Columbia. Due to weather and snow we do not intend to return to Saskatchewan until after May 15th. We have truly had the trip of a lifetime and enjoyed every second of it. But, now we have a huge concern! One that is not making us very happy.

Our problem is that we are only now becoming aware that we may be in contravention of the rules re Healthcare in Canada. IF we are reading the rules correctly we cannot leave Saskatchewan for more than 180 days or the Province could revoke our right to Provincial Healthcare Coverage. We also carry extra Insurance for travel outside the Province through GMS (Group Medical Services) and we wonder how they would react should something happen to either of us at this moment? Would they immediately jump through the loophole (out of the Province for longer than six months) and refuse to cover? Even though they have accepted our Premium(hefty premium) knowing full well that we intended to stay away for almost a year.

I would appreciate any input from anyone on this matter. It seems rather despotic that the Province can tell us now, in retirement, how and when we can leave a Province where we have paid taxes and resided fulltime for most of our lives. In fact, it makes me very very angry. We might only have a few years left in which we will be healthy enough to travel and they would like to constrain us. Highly unfair IMO. My husband and I downsized our assets in Saskatchewan to make this journey but are still taxpayers in that Province.

This explains the problem we have as fulltimers and Canadians:

How Long Can A Canadian Snowbird Stay Out of the Country? | Travel Insurance File
Hawley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 09:00 AM   #5

They know. Every time you cross the border between Canada and the USA it is documented and easily checked. IF you cannot prove you were NOT out of the Province for more than six months you are liable to run into this problem. The onus (apparently) is on YOU to prove you have remained in the Province for at least six months per year. This can be easily checked through Credit Card receipts, etc. Trust me, if they don't know, they can easily find out.
Hawley is offline   Reply With Quote