Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-24-2014, 09:45 AM   #169

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelingIt View Post
Totally agree. Health care worries are probably the #1 issue holding many fulltime RVers back. They can either break or make your fulltime RV dreams, and the ACA has changed everything. For some folks it has enabled them to get on the road, for others it might be exactly the opposite. And it's not easy to navigate the system. That's why I started the thread. It's always helpful when so many chime in, including guys/gals working in/around the healthcare insurance industry.

Cheers for the compliment
Amen, thank you for posting. We are in our 40's and have been fulltime for 8+years now. Having our National Coverage plan thru United Healthcare Golden Rule has been great, but now that they are pulling out of the state (SD), we are left scrambling. So far Assurant Health looks like our only option (off exchange) that has National Network Coverage, no address issues, and offers HSA qualified plans (possibly Welmark BCBS too?). However at about 3X what we have been paying and much higher deductibles, very disappointing. Not all can afford that. I know some keep mentioning to change domicile but that isn't an option for us right now (not mentioning the hassle). Hopefully things will get straightened out but in the mean time I will continuing to pressure our legislators/commissioner as we have been happy 'South Dakotans' otherwise.
RobertShelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-24-2014, 09:57 AM   #170

Monaco Owners Club
No options left for pre-Medicare health insurance in SD for fulltime RVers

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertShelly View Post
Amen, thank you for posting. We are in our 40's and have been fulltime for 8+years now. Having our National Coverage plan thru United Healthcare Golden Rule has been great, but now that they are pulling out of the state (SD), we are left scrambling. So far Assurant Health looks like our only option (off exchange) that has National Network Coverage, no address issues, and offers HSA qualified plans (possibly Welmark BCBS too?). However at about 3X what we have been paying and much higher deductibles, very disappointing. Not all can afford that. I know some keep mentioning to change domicile but that isn't an option for us right now (not mentioning the hassle). Hopefully things will get straightened out but in the mean time I will continuing to pressure our legislators/commissioner as we have been happy 'South Dakotans' otherwise.

BCBS in SD is iffy. Their corporate policy is they require 6-month in state residency proof. Some RVers slip into the system, but they risk being dropped anytime if their residency is checked.

If you are unable to switch residency this year, and have no pre-existing conditions have a look at short-term insurance. You can get a 6-month or 364-day plan with solid nationwide coverage for very reasonable prices. These plans are not ACA compliant, so you will need to pay the ACA penalty, but for the first year it is minimal. The costs are attractive. For the two of us combined on the 364-day plan we're pricing at $280/mo for $5000 deductible ($10000 max out of pocket). We are seriously considering this option ourselves to delay our domicile switch.

Here's a link:
http://rverhealthinsurance.com/short-term-medical/
Old 11-25-2014, 12:42 AM   #171

Quote:
Totally agree. Health care worries are probably the #1 issue holding many fulltime RVers back. They can either break or make your fulltime RV dreams, and the ACA has changed everything. For some folks it has enabled them to get on the road, for others it might be exactly the opposite. And it's not easy to navigate the system. That's why I started the thread. It's always helpful when so many chime in, including guys/gals working in/around the healthcare insurance industry.

Cheers for the compliment

I love the phone call that I get from somebody who worked extra years in order to keep their health insurance and now are free to pursue their dreams. One side effect that critics have yet to notice is that when somebody is able to retire, another is usually hired to take their place. That's good for the country and economy.

Greg
Greg Schoenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 12:44 AM   #172

Quote:
BCBS in SD is iffy. Their corporate policy is they require 6-month in state residency proof. Some RVers slip into the system, but they risk being dropped anytime if their residency is checked.

If you are unable to switch residency this year, and have no pre-existing conditions have a look at short-term insurance. You can get a 6-month or 364-day plan with solid nationwide coverage for very reasonable prices. These plans are not ACA compliant, so you will need to pay the ACA penalty, but for the first year it is minimal. The costs are attractive. For the two of us combined on the 364-day plan we're pricing at $280/mo for $5000 deductible ($10000 max out of pocket). We are seriously considering this option ourselves to delay our domicile switch.

Here's a link:

One of my Oregon companies is now asking that six-month residency question on their application. Fortunately, Oregon is not a preferred resident among full timers.

Greg
Old 11-26-2014, 09:59 AM   #173

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Schoenberg View Post
One of my Oregon companies is now asking that six-month residency question on their application. Fortunately, Oregon is not a preferred resident among full timers.

Greg

Interesting. I have a few fulltime RV friends who've maintained OR residency (by getting the "continuous traveller" designation), but it's certainly not a state new RVers would chose. Too complicated to establish domicile there. Wonder if the residency issue will become mandatory for other insurers?
Old 12-02-2014, 10:34 AM   #174

Quote:

Here's a link:
Thank you, I also commented on your website but thought I would share here too...
One insurance broker in SD told us yesterday:
Wellmark BCBS has never come out directly stating they welcome RVers with open arms, but since this new law went into effect they have not declined, or cancelled anyone with a mail forwarding address, could that change, yes, do I expect it to, no. I would love to tell you there will never be an issue with BCBS, but as this law continues to evolve I don’t think anyone could make that statement.”
He also said “Assurant/Time Ins, would love to have more clients and welcomes all RVers with open arms, but their rates are more expensive.
Old 12-03-2014, 11:37 AM   #175

For SD domicile RVers, we have just started using Americas Mailbox which will fwd all mail for you and give you a permanent street address! Has been great for us, also have dept. to help with many other issues...check them out
barbhldsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 11:30 PM   #176

Thumbs down

Quote:
Thank you, I also commented on your website but thought I would share here too...
Wellmark BCBS has never come out directly stating they welcome RVers with open arms, but since this new law went into effect they have not declined, or cancelled anyone with a mail forwarding address, could that change, yes, do I expect it to, no. I would love to tell you there will never be an issue with BCBS, but as this law continues to evolve I don’t think anyone could make that statement.”
He also said “Assurant/Time Ins, would love to have more clients and welcomes all RVers with open arms, but their rates are more expensive.
This information about Wellmark BCBS is incorrect. Look at my earlier posts in this thread and you will see that they refused to write medicare coverage for my wife. I contacted the SD Attorney General's office and filed a complaint resulting in an official investigation. Result: Wellmark is a private company and can legally exclude people that don't physically reside in the state for more than 6 months a year.
OB-One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 07:50 AM   #177

The broker didn't say Wellmark has never denied folks and in fact that they have never stated that they would accept RVers. He was just saying he himself hasn't had any of his clients be declined/cancelled recently but could happen. Things could change with all that's going on. Just sharing information.
Old 12-06-2014, 01:10 PM   #178

Quote:

This insurance broker refuses to represent Time/Assurant. Too many horror stories of them playing games of claims. That's the last thing anybody needs when dealing with a serious medical condition.

Greg
Old 12-06-2014, 01:48 PM   #179

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Schoenberg View Post
This insurance broker refuses to represent Time/Assurant. Too many horror stories of them playing games of claims. That's the last thing anybody needs when dealing with a serious medical condition.

Greg

Interesting. I've not heard the horror stories, but granted I'm not an agent and don't see nearly the volume you do. Do you think it's systematic to Assurant nationwide? I mean, do you think it's state-based, or they are difficult to deal with everywhere?
Old 12-06-2014, 06:45 PM   #180

Quote:
Interesting. I've not heard the horror stories, but granted I'm not an agent and don't see nearly the volume you do. Do you think it's systematic to Assurant nationwide? I mean, do you think it's state-based, or they are difficult to deal with everywhere?

Could be limited to my experience in Oregon and Washington. I just don't trust them. I prefer to do business with domiciled insurance carriers, i.e. those which are based in Oregon and Washington. The insurance commissioner has more power with them and consequently, it's rare I receive a call regarding a claims problem.

YMMV. 😊
Old 12-11-2014, 11:15 AM   #181

Monaco Owners Club
No options left for pre-Medicare health insurance in SD for fulltime RVers

So, just to update everyone on our personal decision. We decided to signup for a short-term insurance plan in SD and will switch domicile sometime in the next year.

I need to stress that this decision is not for everyone!! In fact I expect we'll be in the vast minority doing this. But for those of you stuck in SD and curious about this avenue, here's some info:

- short term plans are meant for the short term only. They are available up to 394 days (which is what we signed). Usually you can renew once, but then you are out for good.

- the plan we chose has a strong nationwide network with $5000 deductible and $10000 max out of pocket. The out of pocket applies to non network too, so you are covered if you manage to end up in an out of network situation.

- Out of pocket adds onto deductible. So, if something bad happens our max is $5000+$10000 = $15000. This is per person.

- these plans do NOT cover pre-existing conditions and are NOT ACA compatible, so you end up paying the ACA penalty for 2015 ($325/person or 2% of income, whichever is larger)
https://www.healthcare.gov/fees-exem...being-covered/

- if you switch domicile during the year you can cancel the plan with no penalty. If you switch within the first 3 months of the year you avoid the ACA penalty too.
https://www.healthcare.gov/fees-exem...-from-the-fee/

- the plans are inexpensive. Our final price was $265/mo for both of us combined. Equivalent plans on the ACA without subsidy are $500-$600/mo. We bought our plan here:
If you are browsing for yourself make sure you chose the Secure STM *not* the Lite. Only the STM is nationwide.

So, that's it. If you are stuck in SD and/or not able to switch domicile right away and don't have any pre-existing conditions this may be a solution for you. It's definitely not for everyone, but may help some folks, especially in the short term.

We applied yesterday and got our approval letter today. We still plan to switch domicile since this is NOT a long-term solution, but we now have more flexibility in our timing to do so.
Old 12-12-2014, 09:02 AM   #182

Thanks for the wrap up, and IMO a realistic decision. This fits yours and Paul's desire to 'pay as you go' for normal medical thru the year, with a 'safety cushion' for just in case. Buys you time to see if a SD Health Insurance Company steps up to wanting Full Timers with an assortment of plan options, or, make the final Domicile shift to either Florida (Now the leading state in our research.) or Texas (Like Texas, but just a few negatives over Florida.)

My wife and I have a East Coast trip in the planning stages for 2015 (Do the Maine to Key West route to catch the East Coast change of seasons.) We'll decide before we go, if we'll shift Domicile to Florida or Texas, and plan the time and budget to do so.

But who knows, we could win the Lotto, or ACA rules and costs could change for Pre 65, and again SD Health Insurance Companies could change their business models...

Best to you, Paul, and all,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fulltime, insurance