Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-18-2013, 10:47 PM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Send a message via Yahoo to FOSJ
One Year Anniversary!!!

3/19/13 marks our first year of fulltime rving. I can't believe how quickly the time has passed! We have seen and done so much. It hasn't all been a bed of roses. In Oklahoma we had a break down and our home was towed in for repairs. One mile from our destination in Oregon we had a flat tire on our trailer. And worst of all, we had a mouse in our house! That almost ended it for me!

We will be in Colorado for the summer then returning to Lake Mead Recreation Area in the fall.

Steve and I feel very blessed to be living this life. It may not be for everyone, but if it is your dream, go for it!
FOSJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-19-2013, 12:06 AM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Had my coach for over 5 years now and never had any friends of Mickey or Minnie visit, and I have a toy hauler with an easy access ramp. Long ago I placed friendly boxes of Decon on the floor under the cabinets, behind vent openings and near rubber and plastic hose connections where my dog can't reach. I always make time to do my primary maintenance, checks and services (PMCS) and maintain a record of maintenance done and when special services are required due to milage, hours or age. Been fortunate, never a breakdown.
Doggy Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 06:23 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Happy Anniversary. We are still about 20 months away. Have fun.
smack2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 10:32 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Congratulations! A milestone. We are trying to get there. Maybe by next year. Still working full time but about to cut back.
Irene
Trekkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 06:58 AM   #5

Cool - where are you guys now? Only a few issues in a years time. Not bad at all.

Do you think in general your life is better, worse, or about the same as before You went full-time?
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 03:08 PM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Send a message via Yahoo to FOSJ
One Year Anniversary

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
Cool - where are you guys now? Only a few issues in a years time. Not bad at all.

Do you think in general your life is better, worse, or about the same as before You went full-time?
Can't say life is better now since we had such a great life before. Life is definitely different. So many friends and family members have experienced illnesses or deaths that have changed their future plans. We don't know how long we'll be able to continue this life but at least we'll be able to say we did it!

If I had to choose between then and now, I'd definitely pick now!
FOSJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 06:29 AM   #7

Solo Rvers Club
Forest River Owners Club
Congratulations! My one year anniversary will be 8/14/13. So far I love this lifestyle too. Spent the winter in Florida and loved it. Back in Oklahoma now to workamp for 6 mos to a year. Only hard part has been adjusting the colder temps here in OK after 80's in FL.
2012 Coachmen Encounter towing 2010 Honda FIT
Dawn309 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 06:34 AM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Congrats!
Old 03-23-2013, 02:06 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Congrats on surviving year one! Our first anniversary as fulltimers is coming up next week on the 28th. The year has really gone by quickly, we've seen a lot of things and best of all have made some really great new friends. We've had a couple of mishaps - an awning blown out in a wind storm, a TV antenna ripped off by a tree branch, nothing we would classify as major. All in all we have no regrets at all about not having a sticks & bricks to go "home" to and can't wait to start Year Two!
RVJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 02:41 PM   #10

What are the hardest parts of going full time? My DW and I are thinking about it since the house ties us down too much. Our initial plan is to try it with a 5er and diesel truck. I hope this works.

I think the hardest part will be finding nice new places to stay. I think we will end up in not so nice places sometimes. Just because we need a place to stay.

How often do you stay in not so nice RV Park?
Old 03-23-2013, 07:46 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
What are the hardest parts of going full time? My DW and I are thinking about it since the house ties us down too much. Our initial plan is to try it with a 5er and diesel truck. I hope this works.

I think the hardest part will be finding nice new places to stay. I think we will end up in not so nice places sometimes. Just because we need a place to stay.

How often do you stay in not so nice RV Park?
I'd say the hardest part of going full time RV life is getting rid of all of the "stuff" you've accumulated over the years. As for the type of rig, I'd say it's about 50/50 motorhome-tow car vs. 5er and truck. There are advantages & disadvantages to both. Honestly we have had no problem finding nice places to stay anywhere we go. Just do your homework and read the reviews before you go.
RVJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 08:53 PM   #12

Can you please give me some idea how much it cost for your 1st year? I don't need a breakdown but a total would be helpful.

Also how many different places did you stay.

Thanks for any insight.
Old 03-23-2013, 09:20 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
You can live on as little as $800 or less a month to as much as $3000 a month. I've seen budgets in a very wide range. It all depends on what you want.
You can stay in parks from $20 a night to $200 a night. Then you could stay in a different park every night or stay in one for a month at a time. If you stay monthly then your bills go down a lot. I know I've seen prices for monthlies from anywhere from $300 FHU w/electric added to $1500 a month where you are metered for electric.
You can spend a few hundred on food for the month and cook in your rig every night or you can eat out every day and night and spend over $100 a day.
Then there is fuel. It all depends on how much you want to drive. If you stay monthly your fuel will be down for the RV but then you would need a tow vehicle of some sort or the truck if you do the 5er and then there is the fuel for that. It's all dependent on what you are wanting.

See lots of variables involved.
Old 03-24-2013, 09:41 AM   #14

Thanks - that is the range I had. Some months we will spend $800 total. Other months might be $1,500 or down in the keys $3,000.

What RV park charges $200 /day? I gotta check them on the internet. Lol - maybe I will spend 5 hrs. there.