RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-21-2014, 06:21 AM   #1

Opinion on motor home or travel trailer for full timing

hello everybody hope you're having a great Friday my husband and I are planning on being full time on the road soon and we're having trouble deciding between a Motorhome or a travel trailer now we do have 3 dogs a cat and a cockAto that will come with usmy question is in your experience what is more economical and which one would you prefer a Motorhome or a mid-size travel trailerin advance thank you for any of your answers anything you want to let us know would be greatly appreciated:

lost024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-21-2014, 06:30 AM   #2

I have some basic ideas about a motor home over a trailer. First I like a motor home because I have the high ground, in case I find myself surrounded by bandits! Also I like the idea I can simply jump in the drivers seat and drive off, if again bandits..

Where in a trailer I have to step out and use my hand to hand skills, come out of my trailer firing on both barrels to make my way to my truck.. And on a lighter note the wife can keep me in coffee as we drive along in a motor home.

homeless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 06:34 AM   #3

It depends. What kind of vehicle do you have or plan on getting. Will you be staying in one place for long periods of time. With a motorhome you will need another vehicle to get around. With a TT or 5th wheel, you will have the truck to get around. You can get more TT or 5th wheel for the money, but you will need a truck. What kind of budget? If we had to go full time and will be staying in one place then I'd probably go for a fully loaded 5th wheel. If full time and will be traveling the country, then definitely a motorhome with a toad.
al2ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 07:03 AM   #4

Count me wrong, but posting this question on a MH thread board is like preaching to the choir. That said , you must be leaning toward a MH as what you want. The question always comes up how do you justify the higher cost, not only the purchase, but operating cost. When I tell outsiders I get 7-8 mpg with the coach, they look at me as if a burn 20.00 bills going down the road, which it guess I do. At today's fuel prices the difference of fuel operating cost by just a few numbers in mpg can be enough to pay for that travel trailer many times over, should you want to get a new one every year........So , above all else paying the premium to ride/drive in a motor coach over a travel trailer tow behind is about the same as debating if you should take Greyhound on your next vacation, be it full time , or just around the block. There is little doubt the lifestyle choices have more to do with the going and not the getting there.
darstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 07:10 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
Count me wrong, but posting this question on a MH thread board is like preaching to the choir. That said , you must be leaning toward a MH as what you want.
It didn't come up on the MH thread on my end.

iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
al2ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 07:17 AM   #6
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Generally speaking, MHs have much more storage space than TTs, an important consideration for fulltimers.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 07:49 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
This is a Ford/Chev type of question. There are too many variables to give any real answers. You also asked about what is more economical. This puts economy vs features and comfort at odds with each other. A travel trailer will be the cheapest - especially if you have a suitable tow vehicle already. The mileage will generally be better too. The motorhome solution will be more convenient when parking because of the automatic levelers. You would most likely have higher grade furnishings with the motorhome. Then you also can consider used vehicles. Some used motorhomes are cheaper than new trailers. Diesels are more expensive than gas and their mileage, or cost per mile, is not that much higher than gas either. I had trailers for years and got tires of the hitch up process and the leveling process. I moved up to a gas motorhome and would not go back. It is easier to drive with less sway. I am up high where I can be above the rain spray and can see farther down the road. Parking and leveling is a snap. I have a car that I tow so that I have an economical vehicle for touring around in and for going to the grocery store, etc. Of course that added more money for a hitch and auxiliary brake system. RVs are not cost effective but they give a great deal of pleasure. You need to make the decision on what is best for you and then have fun. Compared to renting hotel/motel rooms, flying around the country and paying high golf fees RVing is worthwhile.
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
Doug Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 10:03 AM   #8

Wel l thank you for that valuable information But my husband thinks he's a pirate so I'm pretty sure we can take them
lost024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 02:35 PM   #9

Country Coach Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Have you ever tried backing an articulated vehicle (TT with truck)? It is not easy. My DW and I used to sit and enjoy watching the week end users try to back their TT or 5er into their site. It got comical at times. The MH people always seemed to get it in short order.

Bad storm coming in, I can get my MH ready to move in about 1/2 hour, both inside and outside, then just drive away. After getting everything stowed inside and out in a TT, you still have to connect the truck.

How much storage space do you need to carry your stuff. I've never seen a TT with that much storage.
FMCA #F431170, GS #822128658, Escapees SKP #112655
2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Class B
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Medico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 04:22 PM   #10

When we first decided to FT, I was trying to decide between all options (MH, TT, or 5th wheel), I searched the web asking which is the best. There are some excellent websites (including this forum, of course), that had fantastic info and opinions. Mh, TT and 5ers all have unique pros and cons and the bottom line is, what works best for you, but you have to understand the pros and cons to come to an informed desicion. For us, we traded in our car for a truck and our 5er will be delivered in mid-March. Wish you the best in whatever you decide on.
Serengeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 04:43 PM   #11

Have you considered that with a TT your cats, dog, and bird will have to travel in the towing vehicle with you?

G L Arnold
Old 02-21-2014, 04:44 PM   #12

Research - and a LOT of it. Look at several MH, 5er, & TT.

For us, a 5er is the right one for full-timing. We think there is more floor space, and storage is close to the same as a MH. Since we will love in the 5er many hours longer than driving it, the livability is more important than the passenger being able to walk back to the toilet or fridge. And I think you will discover that a TT doesn't have nearly as much storage as a MH or 5er.

A good full-time 5er will also have auto hydraulic leveling. You do have to unhitch and hitch, but for us it takes about the same amount of time as hooking/unhooking a toad.

Since we don't like to drive more than 2 hours at a time, it isn't important that we can access the rig while in motion. And we believe a truck cab is safer than a MH if in an accident.

If u can't learn to back up a 5er or TT, then maybe a MH would be best - or only using drive-through sites.

Take hot time, look at a LOT of rigs, and have fun.

Jim
Old 02-21-2014, 10:57 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by al2ride View Post
It didn't come up on the MH thread on my end.

iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Sorry about that, guess I stand corrected. Sometimes we can't see the Forest for the trees or Something like that.
darstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 11:23 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by lost024 View Post
hello everybody hope you're having a great Friday my husband and I are planning on being full time on the road soon and we're having trouble deciding between a Motorhome or a travel trailer now we do have 3 dogs a cat and a cockAto that will come with usmy question is in your experience what is more economical and which one would you prefer a Motorhome or a mid-size travel trailerin
OMG, you sound like me, and my wife, and we have the same circumstances, and trouble with the same decisions.
By the time we start, we will have 3 dogs and a cockatoo. Right now we have 5, but two are geriatric, and do not have much longer.
We are having trouble deciding between a TT, 5th wheel, or motorhome.
I will be watching this thread

IamJerryP is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
travel trailer, travel