Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-23-2013, 10:15 AM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
We were told by one private campground in Texas that the year before Good Sam had come to them to join. In order to join GS wanted them to up their prices from $20 to $25 and then offer the 10% discount to GS members. They declined and are still only charging $20 to everyone.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-23-2013, 10:00 PM   #16

Excel Owners Club
We have just finished 6 years of FTing, and as I've told others, if I could only have one campground membership it would be PA. We used it enough our first two years out that we purchased a lifetime membership, which has long ago paid for itself. Of course, if your living on the road, and moving around a lot, it doesn't take long at all.

Everyone else has commented on the various restrictions and such. The good thing with even those is that its not hidden away somewhere, but is normally right up front in the description ie: number of nights honored, days or seasons not honored etc.

They also have incredible customer service, and just announced a free new smart phone app. While they already have one that works well, the new one apparently also has "PA parks near you" capability using the phone GPS.
bigmichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 10:30 PM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Love PA but only use it when traveling from one place to another. Some of the parks are off the beaten path - which for us we love. Verify your park and call ahead.

Something else for full timing is Corp of Engineer parks. If you have Golden age or Access pass, they are 50% to. We also try to stay longer. Prices are better either weekly rates or monthly rates.

Good luck on the full timing. You will enjoy the life style.
Army Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 02:29 PM   #18

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
Brian,

Take a look at Passport America Campgrounds website and look at the typical areas that you intend on traveling to. If it looks like you can use PA for 3 nights, sometimes 2 nights, then you will have a 100 % return on your $44 investment. I have found that the further North I go, the less availability for discounts because of the very seasonal camping, but they are out there. As for the Southern area I find more that use the PA, and yes there will be restrictions and most of the time I can work around them.

PA is a good bang for the buck if you ask me. Hey, if you do decide to join, you can use my membership number as a referral, 477540.
Hey Wayne;
Thanks for the info. We have been looking into Passport America,

Semper Fi
"Semper Fi"
w6pea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 02:40 PM   #19

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We've used Passport America for 4 or 5 years now. It's a very good service. Campgrounds that accept it vary widely. Some are resort quality, and some you wouldn't want to visit. We always look for reviews on the Internet before going to any campground, so our experience has been between good and great. In most cases, the length of time you can stay at a particular campground for the PPA rate is limited, but the limits vary. (There's information on such things for each campground at the PPA website.) In general, campgrounds in high demand areas or at high demand times don't offer PPA discounts. For example, Labor Day weekend is generally blacked out for that rate. If you want to spend months in one place, you might look into a program like Workkamper where you can get free or steeply discounted camping in exchange for working at the campground. If you want to stay on the move, PPA can help. We generally try to plan our stops at PPA campgrounds if they're available.
Charlie- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 02:55 PM   #20

We just finished our meandering, Fall Snowbird trip South and stayed at 9 campgrounds. 5 of the 9 were PA and we saved $153. We pick different routes and different PA campgrounds whenever we can. All 5 on this trip were more than adequate up to downright enjoyable. PA is usually a win/win for camper and campground owner but we have spoken with CG owners who have opted out of the program because some campers do not read the instructions and get very rude and demanding if they have misread the rules. We choose PA campgrounds along the route we want to take and then check the reviews on Reviews of RV Parks and Campgrounds - RV Park Reviews. Weed out the "sour grape" reviews and usually a good idea of what to expect will evolve. You'll enjoy a PA membership.
AdirondackJa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 11:08 PM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by w6pea View Post
Hey Wayne;
Thanks for the info. We have been looking into Passport America,

Semper Fi

Even if they don't take PA, ask for a military/veteran discount at every business you go to. There are quite a few that offer at least a 10% if not more off.
Old 10-27-2013, 11:31 PM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
PA is great and well worth the money. If you are moving often, check out Fairgrounds also, many have RV spaces available at very reasonable prices. Are you an Elk or a Moose? Many of them have RV spaces, some with little restrictions on length of stay.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 11:42 PM   #23

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO Pilot View Post
PA is great and well worth the money. If you are moving often, check out Fairgrounds also, many have RV spaces available at very reasonable prices. Are you an Elk or a Moose? Many of them have RV spaces, some with little restrictions on length of stay.
I belong to both.....Elk's and Moose.
"Semper Fi"
w6pea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 06:21 AM   #24

We have used PA since our fulltiming journey started this June. It paid for itself within the first 2 weeks.

The trip mapping on website is great to use as well.

Once we find the campground we are considering we google for feedback. Many will leave feedback on websites like trip advisor.

We also use google earth to assist in making decisions.

PA is well worth the membership.
BIJ6165 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 07:08 AM   #25

We will use it again this winter trip, saves lots of money re camp fees. One stop we will make again is Branson Mo. cash only there for PA discount, not sure if it is cash only when using PA at other parks?
rebel
rebelcarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 08:40 AM   #26

Alpine Owners Club
Best reviews for rv parks are found at RV Park Reviews. Use that site all of the time, plus I regularly post our reviews there.

Barb
Blog
Barbaraok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 08:54 AM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbaraok View Post
Best reviews for rv parks are found at RV Park Reviews. Use that site all of the time, plus I regularly post our reviews there.

Barb
I am sorry to say but that site censors the reviews that get put up. I put in a review about a CG that had electric problems. Several people lost items due to the electric being too low or spiking too high. They have a problem with people getting broken into, even now to putting signs on the bathrooms and whatnot to warn campers. The manager had (not sure if he got them paid off by now) warrants out for him. He ran and hide when the cops come by to check on the park. We have that same manager on tape telling us that he watches people to see who they visit, how long they stay and who they talk to and takes notes about most everyone in the park. RV park reviews decided to not post the review saying it was just our personal exp and not being done to anyone else .....
No we did not stay long there after we found out about what was going on.
Old 10-28-2013, 10:08 AM   #28

Workhorse Chassis Owner
How many PA members belong to Thousand trails and how do they compare?