Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-17-2017, 10:19 AM   #1

Pay someone to move 5th wheel?

Is there anyone here living in a 5th wheel that pays a delivery service to relocate their 5er instead of doing it yourself? To date I have a truck that I use to move myself but I have no other use for it. I am trying to decide if it might be worthwhile paying someone to do it so that I can sell the truck.

I am more interested in the reliability/safety of hiring a company to do the moving as compared to doing myself. From the economics point of view, I figure I can pay for many moves with the money I can sell my truck for. As to how often I move, lets 2 times a year.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-17-2017, 10:29 AM   #2

Not sure where you are, but for peace of mind I would want my own tow vehicle. You never know when something can come up that requires you to move when you didn't plan to. Weather, fires and floods come to mind where relying on others to move you out of danger would not be feasible.

Old 10-18-2017, 01:36 PM   #3

This type of question has come up before and the most common answer I have seen is to contact one of the larger RV dealers and ask if they can refer you to one of the professional drivers/companies that deliver their units from the factory. Or maybe call a factory to ask the same question.

Good luck.
Old 10-18-2017, 11:19 PM   #4

We have a 40' 5th wheel and we don't have a truck. We think like you since the most we would move would be a couple of times a year, it would be cheaper to pay someone else to move us and we have done that one time. We had a 33' moved from Lake Havasu City, AZ to Bullhead City, AZ which I think is about 65 miles for $120 (about $2.00/mi). Someone else told me the usual rate is $3.00/mi. I would like to know what the going per mile rate is. I do understand we are giving up spontaneous and emergency moves. But it is so much cheaper.
Old 10-19-2017, 06:02 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Dealers know independant contractors who will move for you. I found an excellent guy advertising his services on Craigslist last year to move a trailer for me.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 09:09 AM   #6

There are National RV hauling companies that you can contact. They will have standard prices for your move and since they haul from RV manufactures to dealers all over US and Canada, they are always looking for additional profit for their returning empty trucks. A lot of hauling companies are located in the Northern Indiana area, Star and Horizon are some of them. I believe the latest haul rate was $1.60 for the driver, companies will then add their O/H cost.
Old 10-25-2017, 07:31 PM   #7

although it may cost a little more any decent sized towing company should be able to do it.. we charge $75 hookup and 2.50 a mile one way
Old 10-26-2017, 10:49 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbpower View Post
although it may cost a little more any decent sized towing company should be able to do it.. we charge $75 hookup and 2.50 a mile one way
What does the hookup entail?
Old 10-26-2017, 07:21 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanharville View Post
What does the hookup entail?

its the base fee for the tow.. you should have slides in and power and sewer disconected. ready to move.
Old 10-26-2017, 07:41 PM   #10

You move your unit 2 times a year? Get rid of the truck because between insurance, depreciation, maintenance and storage you will be way ahead. But do your own math!
Old 10-27-2017, 09:12 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coarsegold View Post
You move your unit 2 times a year? Get rid of the truck because between insurance, depreciation, maintenance and storage you will be way ahead. But do your own math!

This is the reason I am thinking about getting rid of it. I can pay for a lot of moves for the price of the truck. I just really need to decide can get buy with one vehicle for tow of us with one working.
Old 10-28-2017, 08:48 AM   #12

You could still own 2 cars and a fifth wheel camper (no truck)
Old 10-28-2017, 04:06 PM   #13

A few years ago I had a 5th wheel but no tow vehicle. I paid a guy at the park I was going to live at to pull my trailer. It was about 30 miles, paid him $50 and a six pack. I have pulled a friends trailer up to Elk camp for a six pack and pizza. I guess it will matter how far the tow is if you can find some one willing to help.

It make sense not to add the cost of a tow vehicle if you just need it moved twice a year. If the move is Florida to Washington, the cost might be more than you save. If it is a day drive or just a few hours I am sure you can find some one local. There always seems to be plenty of us helpful guys around that just like to be friendly and if you toss in gas, pizza and beer, that is frosting on the cake.

Best of luck.
ktn1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 05:21 PM   #14
tcg

Last winter we stayed in a private park in Florida for a few weeks and got to know some of the other residents.

There were a couple widows who did not want to give up the lifestyle when their husbands passed.

They paid someone to move their rig to their site for the winter and then when they went back home in the spring they paid someone to put the rig into storage until next winter.

They were basically using the trailer as their winter home.

They said no point in owning a truck when they had no interest in moving anything themselves.

Tags
5th wheel