Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-15-2014, 05:34 PM   #15

I figured having a new puppy along would be enough stress. The DW and I have been married for 40 years plus we worked together for 20+ years. If we have not killed each other during all that time I think we will be OK.

Unless the new puppy factor kicks in.
reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-15-2014, 06:28 PM   #16

About the only time we make reservations are over the holidays.
Memorial ,the 4 th, laborday. Other than that we usually call the day of
while we are on the road and figure out where we will land for the eve
And the next few days.
Remember the 3-3-3 rule. Less than 300 Mi, arrive before 3:00pm.
and stay at least 3 days. See signiture.
John and Susan. New 2018 Chevrolet 2500 2 WHD . 6.6 Duramax 3.73 rearend. .4 door ,Short, Bed W/Topper. 2017 Grand Design 297 RSTS. Our rescue dog Annie. Still ,Full timing since 07-01-2011. No sticks and bricks.
poppopc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 06:31 PM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Good luck on the test! My only advice would be that 12 stops in 30 days is a lot...in full timing terms. I know fulltimers that do it, but most folks get wiped out by that kind of pace. We typically stay a minimum of 4 nights in each spot...more likely a week or more. It was one of the key things we learned in our first year on the road...to slow down.

Enjoy the journey!!
Old 02-15-2014, 06:47 PM   #18

The issue with staying 4 nights or longer at each stop is we still have a S&B to take care of. One of our neighbors will be checking the mail, but there is still grass cutting, etc. to take care of. I was a little shocked when I added up the total days. The DW just grinned from ear to ear thinking of all the fun we will be having.

We have already been talking about a longer trip next year to the Grand Canyon area. That one will most likely be several months long.
Old 02-15-2014, 06:49 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog Folks View Post
The best test is for both you to have a bad cold and a week of rain, a blocked black tank valve, and running out of propane, all at the same time.

If you can mange with a good attitude, you pass.
Icould not have said it any better. Traveling in confined quarters is easy, try staying in the same place for a month or two in bad weather. The way you have your "test" set up is a great traveling vacation, not in reality unless you have extremely deep pockets. The "camper" must change from being a camper to a home, this doesn't happen overnight. Try thinking of the way you live now, recliners, TV location, monthly paperwork and so on. These are things that won't be eliminated but definately will be changed forever. I'm not saying don't do the fulltime thing but just be realistic. Live in your driveway for a month without going in the stix n brix! This a more real test, this is what we did.
Old 02-15-2014, 07:07 PM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Agree with what many are saying here. A short trip with many stops is not a good picture of the Full Timing lifestyle. A better test would be "Lets go to Palm Springs and see what all the fuss is about" and head there without any plans or deadlines. Then you stay there till you get tired of it and want to go somewhere else. Of course by then, you've had a great taste of what the area has to offer.

This is the way we live. We never know where our next stop will be until we decide to go there. Its a magical lifestyle, and one full of novelty and wonders.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
tricotec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 07:17 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by reubenray View Post
The issue with staying 4 nights or longer at each stop is we still have a S&B to take care of. One of our neighbors will be checking the mail, but there is still grass cutting, etc. to take care of. I was a little shocked when I added up the total days. The DW just grinned from ear to ear thinking of all the fun we will be having.

We have already been talking about a longer trip next year to the Grand Canyon area. That one will most likely be several months long.
Why wouldn't you stop your mail?
Kurtsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 08:37 PM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
I'm confused. If you are keeping the s&b and just taking long trips, that is not full timing. Those of us replying to your post don't h ave a s&b anymore. We actually live in our motorhomes 365 days a year. Are you testing yourselves before selling your home?
bsirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 05:02 AM   #23

When we first got our motorhome we was going to do a five year test to see if going full-time is in our future. We have been into it a year now and all of our trips have only been about two weeks long. I figured longer trips was the way to test it further. This trip it will be for a month and I am already working on one for the East coast that could be longer. Except for this winter we have been taking trips about every 6 weeks.

Next year will be a longer trip out West. We know our current motorhome will not be the one we would use if we actually did sell the S&B and go full time. I figured if we can handle the space in this one we could surely handle the space in a bigger (more slides and longer) one.
Old 02-16-2014, 07:39 AM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
We started ft in a 31' Class C. We were okay for a little while, but moved up to a 38' Class A and were pretty comfortable for a couple years. Now we are looking for just a little bigger and with bath and a half and washer/dryer. Everyone has their own way of getting to where they want to be. We didn't want to waste time on the road, so we just did it, and never looked back. Enjoy your trip and hope to see you on the road some day.
bsirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 07:56 AM   #25

I noticed that you will be going to 12 campsites in 30 days. This is one of the major differences to full-timing. If you use it for a vacation, you have a limited time to do what you want. You have to be at A then go to B then eventually have to return to get back to work. Full-timing is totally different, no rush, if you see a small shop that normally you pass when on a vacation, you stop. If you want to stay somewhere for an extra day, a weeek, a month you can. Full-timing is about slowing down the pace of your life. It is about avoiding the highways and taking the secondary roads and going the speed limit or less and enjoying the ride. It is about only driving 3-5 hours a day even though you are going across the county. It is about finding small festivals and towns. It is about relaxing and having no stess. It is a lifestyle change that is very difficult, if not impossible to duplicate when you are on vacation, have a timetable, and have to go back to work. Btw, have a wonderful trip and hope you eventually get to experience full-timing!
Serengeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 04:49 AM   #26

We have extended our trip by staying a few more days at select stops. Of course all of this can change when I actually start reserving sites due to availability.
Old 02-17-2014, 05:46 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by reubenray View Post
We have extended our trip by staying a few more days at select stops. Of course all of this can change when I actually start reserving sites due to availability.
We would rather wing it, we don't like not being able to site see or stop somewhere afraid we might not make it to our reserved spot.
Kurtsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 05:53 PM   #28

I agree with those that say 12 stops in 30 days is a lot. On the one night stops, why not boondock or overnight at a WalMart instead of setting up in a campground and paying for it. Even if you don't take the time to hook-up for an overnight in a campground, you've paid for hook-ups.
Koop is offline   Reply With Quote