Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-07-2018, 06:49 AM   #1

Propane or electric

Right now I am workcamping so I get my site and hookup for free but when I go to Florida this winter I have to pay for my site and the electric is metered. I have my heat, stove, water and frig are all either electric or propane. My question is which is cheaper way to run these?

goinfulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-07-2018, 08:23 AM   #2

Yes.

Depends on the price of propane and the price of electric.

Fulltimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 08:44 AM   #3

as i remember, the cost per kwh times 27 is the equivalant to the propane price. so if electricity is .10 per kwh and propane is 2.70 a gallon its about a push.
DanKathyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 11:49 AM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanKathyC View Post
as i remember, the cost per kwh times 27 is the equivalant to the propane price. so if electricity is .10 per kwh and propane is 2.70 a gallon its about a push.

Except that electric is ~100% efficient, while propane appliances are 60-80% efficient. Then you have to determine how convenient is it to give refills. For instance, in Mesa AZ motorhomes can not be filled while parked in an RV park, which means unhooking and driving to get refilled, or setting up extend-a-stay hose, external tank. We always just went with electric and only used propane for furnace on cold nights.
Blog
Barbaraok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 12:30 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbaraok View Post
Except that electric is ~100% efficient, while propane appliances are 60-80% efficient. Then you have to determine how convenient is it to give refills. For instance, in Mesa AZ motorhomes can not be filled while parked in an RV park, which means unhooking and driving to get refilled, or setting up extend-a-stay hose, external tank. We always just went with electric and only used propane for furnace on cold nights.
My thoughts exactly.
sdennislee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 12:49 PM   #6

Seeing as OP has a 5th wheel with Two 30# propane cylinders then OP can take cylinder to get refilled w/o having to mess with trailer

So it comes down to WHAT the KW/H cost vs Propane per/gal cost and time/effort to refill
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 09:41 PM   #7

The difference in cost isn't that great comparing elec to propane. You will get more savings by sealing your RV up during the cold nights, like Reflex for the windows, skylight pillows, seal stove exhaust vent, even refrig outside vents, also consider LED lights. We try not to use the RV furnace which heats the storage compartments and instead rely on elec space heaters and a propane Mr Heater. The storage compartments don't need heat unless it gets in the low 20's and then a light bulb works good.
We stayed in Gulf Shores, AL last Jan and using elec only, our cost was $66/month for a 34' Fifth Wheel.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 07:08 AM   #8

quote>>>as i remember, the cost per kwh times 27 is the equivalent to the propane price. so if electricity is .10 per kwh and propane is 2.70 a gallon its about a push.<<<quote

Using the formula above; here are some real numbers for us to kick around. In both examples below, the electric rates are the rates charged to the park by the local utilities. Re-selling electricity is illegal in both of our situations. It is legal is some places so check carefully do be sure you don't get ripped off. Retail propane cost is relatively the same in many places. At least where we stay most of the time.

In Florida (Tampa area) our metered electric is $.146/kwh ($3.94/gal propane equivalent)
Propane for a 30# tank this past winter was $24.22 ($24.22/7.5 gal $3.23/gal)
30# tank refill on average 45-55 days.

In northern NY our metered electric is $.2697/kwh ($7.29/gal propane equivalent)
Propane for a 30# tank, refilled yesterday, was $25.56 ($25.56/7.5 gal $3.41/gal).

That's a considerable difference for electric vs gas when it comes to hot water, heating, and cooking.
Your appliances will be another factor. We have gas fired on demand hot water and a residential refrigerator so we don't use nearly as much electric compared to some others.
Heating in the early spring and fall in NY is another matter. Between hot water, cooking indoors and using our furnace instead of heat pumps we will use a 30# propane tank about every 20 to 30 days. As summer progresses. our gas consumption drops considerably to 40-45 days. Also air conditioning in northern NY is hardly ever needed so we save there as well. (To paraphrase Sarah Palin, "I can see Canada from my RV!")
Bottom line IMHO, get your costs together and adjust your consumption as best as possible based on the situation where you are.
8824rv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 09:05 AM   #9

Thank you for your response, the 27x formula will give me a guideline for determining which way I use my appliances.
goinfulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 09:45 AM   #10

Nothing is 100% efficient either.
markandkim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 12:17 PM   #11

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by markandkim View Post
Nothing is 100% efficient either.

Electric is close enough for back of the envelope calculations in this context.
Blog
Barbaraok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 01:13 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbaraok View Post
<snip> For instance, in Mesa AZ motorhomes can not be filled while parked in an RV park, <snip>.

That must be a Mesa city ordinance I guess.

We winter in Casa Grande and the propane truck comes around every Tuesday. They charge about $1.25/gal more that taking the tank to be locally filled.
AudiDudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 05:52 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudiDudi View Post
That must be a Mesa city ordinance I guess.

We winter in Casa Grande and the propane truck comes around every Tuesday. They charge about $1.25/gal more that taking the tank to be locally filled.

It's probably a RV park restriction. Why would a city care about filling propane tanks. I worked for a Propane Company in Texas and some RV parks would allow us to fill MH's on site and others would not. It was a PITA selling 10 gallons for each site stop.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 07:17 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by grindstone01 View Post
<snip>It was a PITA selling 10 gallons for each site stop.

I can agree. Stopping for 10-15 minutes to sell a small amount is not cost effective.

AudiDudi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric, propane