Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-20-2012, 11:22 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Question about Snowbirding

My hubby is considering going from our normal full-timing (moving every 2-3 weeks) to only moving seasonally. He is worried about letting the MH sit for extended periods of time without "exercise", tho. Does it hurt the engine (400 Cummins diesel) to sit for 3 months at a time? Are there things that should be done to keep it in good shape? Thanks for any info.
llmrealestat is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-20-2012, 01:16 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by llmrealestat
My hubby is considering going from our normal full-timing (moving every 2-3 weeks) to only moving seasonally. He is worried about letting the MH sit for extended periods of time without "exercise", tho. Does it hurt the engine (400 Cummins diesel) to sit for 3 months at a time? Are there things that should be done to keep it in good shape? Thanks for any info.
As future full timers I have pondered this myself. Will be interested in responses you get. I had considered making a few two or three day trips in a period of "sitting". Partly because I like to drive it and partly to give it exercise. Had thought of maybe boondocking to save on double paying for sites but then long term is at a discount and a few nights out here and there should average in ok on the expense. Other than following the long term maintenance schedule I think you / we would be fine. But let's see what experience has to say. Thanks for bringing this up. Can't wait to join in the fun.
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 02:05 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

I think you'll be fine. Lots of folks do just as you're pondering.

What you should not do, is start the diesel just to let it warm up... thinking you're helping keep it "fresh". Wait until you move so you can get a few hours of driving on it every few months.

Best of luck.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 02:13 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Leaving it sit won't hurt it. It's better to leave it sit for 3 month, than start it 2-3 times @ month and let it idle. You either let them sit, or drive them until everything reaches operating temperature. We just arrived in Fl and I will not be starting mine until April.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 02:18 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I am planning on letting ours sit for 3-4 months. I just worry about algea, fuel problems, and lubrication problems
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 03:39 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
We've let it sit for 1-2 months at a time. The only thing we do is make sure our diesel tank is full and use a good additive to prevent degredation/algae. We usually fill up a few miles before our destination and add the additive at that time so that it has the chance to run thro' the engine.

Other than that the only thing we exercise regularly is the generator. Once a month fire-up and load for ~1 hour or so.
Old 11-20-2012, 03:55 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelingIt View Post
We've let it sit for 1-2 months at a time. The only thing we do is make sure our diesel tank is full and use a good additive to prevent degredation/algae. We usually fill up a few miles before our destination and add the additive at that time so that it has the chance to run thro' the engine.

Other than that the only thing we exercise regularly is the generator. Once a month fire-up and load for ~1 hour or so.
That's what we do with the exception that we occasionally have left it for much longer. One turn of the key when we arrive to start driving and it fires up without a problem.

danes-on-tour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 08:23 PM   #8

I believe (in my opinion--don't take this to the bank--this advise is worth what you paid for it) that the idea of having to start an engine periodically started back in the days of natural rubber seals. They would dry out if not oiled. The new neoprene and other more modern materials do not dry. Starting an engine and letting it idle will cause condensation in the oil pan--not a good thing.
halfwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 06:33 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
I am concerned about mine sitting also, What kind of diesel additive is recomended? I currently use an anti-gel agent as I am in cold weather. Also an additive called Meaner Power Kleaner. Haven't experienced any problems. I do use fuel when sitting, as my diesel burner for Hydro-hot cycles. I do not start mine until we are ready to travel. Thanks, all info here is very usefull.

Karl and Janet 2006 Zephyr 44QDZ
kewag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 08:25 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
This is what we use - STA-BIL Diesel Fuel Stabilizer, 32 oz: Automotive : Walmart.com . I couldn't say wether it works better than other products but it seems to be doing the job (i think).

danes-on-tour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 08:36 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks, everyone. I appreciate the info.
llmrealestat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 09:29 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
We've used Stabil too.There was another thread on this recently where XDP Diesel Power Plus (buy online)or Biobor JF biocide (I gather West Marine sells it) also came highly recommended. If you're in an area w/ high moisture you definitely want something that contains a biocide (anti-algae).
Old 11-22-2012, 11:57 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
But do start the Gen monthly,not for the motor, but for the generator itself. 50% load for at least 1/2 hour. This warms the generator and dries it out.

LEN
Old 11-22-2012, 12:10 PM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by OLYLEN
But do start the Gen monthly,not for the motor, but for the generator itself. 50% load for at least 1/2 hour. This warms the generator and dries it out.

LEN
And after all, isn't warm and dry what snowbirding is all about.
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote