Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-21-2014, 05:39 PM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
What the others said, basically. Unless TX (hopefully pushed by Escapees) manages to somehow amend the law that goes into effect next year you will be forced back into state each year to renew your inspection. This will be a major deal for many fulltime RVers. Your choices are to register in another RV-friendly state (e.g. SD or FL, neither of which require inspections) or simply go back each year.

We've been considering TX for residency (we're currently based in SD) because of health care insurance options (which are much, much better in TX for pre-Medicare folks), but this new law has put a wrench in things. We're watching the Escapees links closely to see if they find a resolution.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-30-2014, 10:42 AM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Texas Registered Vehicle currently in another state:

If your Texas registered vehicle is out of state when the inspection certificate expires
  1. Ensure that your Texas Vehicle Registration is current
  2. Follow the laws of the state you are in.

If the state has a vehicle inspection program
  • Generally, states honor the laws of other states, and there are even reciprocal agreements, where this state honors other states laws as their own. For example, if a vehicle is registered in Texas and is in another state that requires vehicles to be inspected, then that other state will honor your inspection certificate.
  • You may obtain an inspection certificate by presenting your vehicle for inspection at a local inspection station.
    Remember: Depending on the state you are in, your vehicle may have to be registered in that state to get inspected.
  • Upon returning to Texas, have your vehicle inspected within 3 days, unless you have an inspection certificate from one of the states with which we have reciprocity.
Old 04-30-2014, 11:11 AM   #17

Alpine Owners Club
Except that under the new law, which takes effect 3-1-15, there is no mechanism to get out-of-state inspections into the registration system within the 90 days prior to when the registration expires nor is there currently a mechanism to get the registration is you are in a state that HAS NO INSPECTION system. The new law went into effect without the authors of the law understanding that there were people who are out-of-state (students, military, truckers, oil field workers, etc.) for LONG periods of time and can't make trips back to get and inspection done within the time frame allowed. Hopefully the lobbying groups can get some change made or a lot of people, us included, will be 'moving' to another state.

Barb
Blog
Barbaraok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 11:21 AM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Question for Texas Based FT's

Indeed, it's the NEW law that is going into effect next year which is the issue here.

For those who missed my posting last month on this you can follow the thread on how Escapees is handling this situation here:
http://www.rvnetwork.com/index.php?s...=108937&page=2
This thread is 15 pages long now. Obviously it's a major concern for all TX-based fulltimers.

And for those who want a link to the specific bill, it is here:
http://legiscan.com/TX/text/HB2305/2013
Old 05-01-2014, 12:55 AM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We became Texas residents just this past January. I am told by some friends who are real native Texans that the State Legislature has a long and distinguished history of pushing matters through and THEN thinking of all the ramifications. Not all that uncommon with state legislatures, actually.

Escapees appears to be taking point on the issue. It's clear that something will be done, because doing nothing harms too many different constituencies in an election year. The trick will be to give the legislators a way to either amend the law or defer implementation and look good in the process.
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 06:43 PM   #20

Since my DW and I vendor at 40+ shows (horse, dog, rodeo, etc) each year, we are "on the road" for many months at a time. But we are never out of Texas for longer than 12 months.

I'll have the MH (and toad and Goldwing) inspected before we leave. I don't care if they're not due for 6 months, I will get them inspected. Then I don't have to worry about it for another 12 months. I know I will be back (in Texas) for a couple of shows in November so I will get them inspected again.

It's worth the extra cash....

Stay safe,
Lew
Texas Vet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 07:36 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Vet View Post
Since my DW and I vendor at 40+ shows (horse, dog, rodeo, etc) each year, we are "on the road" for many months at a time. But we are never out of Texas for longer than 12 months.
One problem with the new law is that you have to be in Texas not only at least once every twelve months to get your vehicle inspected, but you have to be there on specific days. The law states:

(1) a vehicle owner may obtain an inspection not earlier than 90 days before the date of expiration of the vehicle's registration.

If someone has a motorhome registration in June and a toad registration in October, it will require two trips to Texas--one in April May or June (for the motorhome), and one in August September or October (for the toad).

If your planned inspection date is within 90 days of the expiration of the registration for all three of your vehicles, it'll work fine. But I think you'll be the exception rather than the rule.

oatmeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 10:29 PM   #22

As noted above, the Escapees RV Club is working with government officials regarding the new upcoming law.

This would affect not only full-time RVers but also over the road haulers and out of state workers. We are confident that some positive changes are in store.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 01:29 AM   #23

In the thread linked to above, Escapees said they're setting up a Florida residency option. This means that their existence doesn't depend on finding a solution to the problems presented in the new Texas law, which I worry will affect their level of commitment to finding a solution.

I think they'd still like Texas to remain an option for fulltimers, but if it doesn't, well, they'll survive anyway.

But it means fulltimers who can't work with the new restrictions in Texas will have to change their address and get new driver's licenses and vehicle registrations, presumably in Florida. Or, fulltimers who need health insurance, anyway.

People on Medicare will also be able to use South Dakota, as always.
Old 05-06-2014, 09:41 AM   #24

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Vet View Post

I'll have the MH (and toad and Goldwing) inspected before we leave. I don't care if they're not due for 6 months, I will get them inspected. Then I don't have to worry about it for another 12 months. I know I will be back (in Texas) for a couple of shows in November so I will get them inspected again.

It's worth the extra cash....

Stay safe,
Lew
This won't work under the new law. You will have a 90 window before the registration is due to get it inspected.

Barb
Blog
Barbaraok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 09:53 AM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
Question for Texas Based FT's

Quote:
Originally Posted by oatmeal View Post
In the thread linked to above, Escapees said they're setting up a Florida residency option. This means that their existence doesn't depend on finding a solution to the problems presented in the new Texas law, which I worry will affect their level of commitment to finding a solution.

I think they'd still like Texas to remain an option for fulltimers, but if it doesn't, well, they'll survive anyway.

But it means fulltimers who can't work with the new restrictions in Texas will have to change their address and get new driver's licenses and vehicle registrations, presumably in Florida. Or, fulltimers who need health insurance, anyway.

People on Medicare will also be able to use South Dakota, as always.

Indeed. I think it's a very smart decision on Escapees side to set-up an alternative domicile option in Florida. If things don't work out in Texas, for whatever reason, then at least there's the fallback option of folks switching to FL. A lot more mail forwarders in FL, so a lot more competition there, but I'm sure Escapees will manage to be competitive. I still hope they managed to find a better solution in TX.
Old 05-06-2014, 10:31 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbaraok View Post
This won't work under the new law. You will have a 90 window before the registration is due to get it inspected.
As I said above, it might work for him, depending on when he goes to Texas and if the registration dates on all his vehicles line up appropriately. But if it does, I think he'll be the exception rather than the rule.

Tags
texas