Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-27-2018, 04:54 AM   #1
KC

Question on Full time it

Hello all, My wife and I are considering going full time down the road in a few years. We would like to see the county. What kind of monthly cost can we expect, we will be using a Class A motor home. We are just starting research.

Thanks

KC
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-27-2018, 05:10 AM   #2

My wife and I are in the same mode as you. Will be on a reasonably tight budget while doing it. Depending how many miles you do and what Class RV you are considering I see fuel gas/diesel being the largest expense. We are looking at doing a considerable amount of boondocking as crowded CG's is a huge negative for us.
We are looking at new Class C Coaches
We don't eat fancy so it will be close to how it is at our current life style.
I want to do a good solar system to save on fuel for a gen.
Must include cost of propane for heat/cooking/fridge. Funds for normal maintenance (tires, oil changes)
Want to have a "emergency fund" for any unexpected problems (RV repair, medical) issues)
Ret.LEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 05:27 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Lifestyle tracking

Since you are a few years away rom going full time, what I would suggest is to start tracking how you spend your money now. You will be surprised as to where the money actually is spent. Make categories as general or as specific as you want, but keeping this record will allow you to project what you will spend on the road. Rent and fuel and food are our major expenses.
Good luck in your endevour.
JRS950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 05:40 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
A lot will depend on the type of travel you plan. ARe you going to stay put in one place for months at a time or travel every couple of days/weeks? How are you going to camp (you plan on boondocking but what about other places).
Biggest costs will be: fuel, camp fees, insurance (MH and health), food, RV repairs, just to name a few things.
How much does it cost you to "camp" now on your trips. This may give you an idea.
You can spend $2000 a month or $6000 a month it all depends.
Good luck
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 06:03 AM   #5

costs range widely on HOW you are going to rv the country and if you are even going to include Alaska trip into your mix. More gas means more money out of your pocket. You could settle into more low cost rv campgrounds or you could want the $159 per night resort type travel campground.

You must know yourself. What do you expect out of this adventure.
Some can do very well on 2K per month and live it up to their standards or some need 5K to make it work for their lifestyle.

JRS is right. Track how you live now and what you do expect in your life and set your money goals in those areas on how you want to live while traveling.

best of luck!
Whirrlly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 06:08 AM   #6

In the short time I've been here on the forums I've read a couple of threads about full time expenses. All the comments above are spot on.

The "average" including a small maintenance fund seems to be about $3000/mo on the bottom end. As said above this depends on the nature of repairs and upgrades you want to do as well as your daily living expenses, CG/park space rent, and how much you drive.
Old 09-27-2018, 09:54 AM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
We've seen people fulltiming on $1500/ month all the way up to $10K/month. Just depends upon what you have, what you like to do, etc. You are not going to change overnight - if you like eating out, you are still going to want to eat out and try new restaurants in new ares.

We put together some things to think about for budgets for fulltiming on our blog that might help: http://www.barbanddave.net/thoughts-on-rving/budget-considerations.html. The one thing that we don't include on our budget is health care insurance discussion since we are on Medicare.
Blog
Barbaraok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 11:44 AM   #8

Exactly^^^^

What are your current living expenses?

Are you in debt or will be debt free before going FT?

Source/amount of income.......
How about Medical Insurance?

WE FTd for 7 yrs
truck/5th wheel paid for and we had no outstanding debt
Ins/registrations/medical/food/fuel/sites fees/maintenance/emergency fund/AND FUN
Roughly 2500/month and we didn't lack for anything

We traveled weekly/bi-monthly

But we did have a 'membership' that we purchased via RESALE. And when we stayed at an affiliate CG we only paid $10/15 night for FHU
We also used: City parks, State/National CGs, COE, Fairgrounds, Boondocked etc
Just depended on where we were and what was available

Again........all depends on YOUR living expenses/needs

Cost of FTng is not a lot different then S&B living unless changes are made in the way you live.
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 11:55 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
It seems to me to me alot more then people think it is.What good is it to travel to a destination if you don't have any money once you get there to do anything.I think all your bills should be paid off also.
I think a lot of people may try it, only to see its way beyond their means.
We are guessing at least 3500-4000 just to be comfortable to be able to do things when we get to our destination.To Stay in nice parks,and yes to boondock also and we are just 2 people
jarata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 06:31 PM   #10

We've been full-timing for 28 years now and our monthly expenses are now about $4,800. We almost always stay in campgrounds and now only travel the east coast from Maine to Florida. This number includes everything except the cost of the new motorhomes that we have purchased over the years. We are on our 5th Class A motorhome, all gas. It's been a great experience for us.
grumpypapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 07:53 AM   #11
KC

Thank you for all the good info. Im just looking for cost of gas staying at a average campground. Not the fancy Resort. I have my insurance cost and health care covered all ready. As we get closer Ill have a better idea on Cell/internet/TV costs.

Thanks everyone
Old 09-29-2018, 10:01 AM   #12

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC View Post
Thank you for all the good info. Im just looking for cost of gas staying at a average campground. Not the fancy Resort. I have my insurance cost and health care covered all ready. As we get closer Ill have a better idea on Cell/internet/TV costs.

Thanks everyone
I don't understand what you mean by the price of gas staying at an average campground? Did you perhaps mean site cost?

What fulltimers quickly figure out is that weekly stays (7 nights) cost about what 6 highly stays (1 night free sort of things) and monthly stays are usually about 2 1/2 times the cost of a weekly stay. Our budget saver is membership parks. Only way we can keep the costs under $20/night.
Blog
Barbaraok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 02:42 AM   #13

Be sure to check out this blog...the author covers FT financial info in depth...

http://www.rv-dreams.com
TJFogelberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 11:13 AM   #14
KC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbaraok View Post
I don't understand what you mean by the price of gas staying at an average campground? Did you perhaps mean site cost?

What fulltimers quickly figure out is that weekly stays (7 nights) cost about what 6 highly stays (1 night free sort of things) and monthly stays are usually about 2 1/2 times the cost of a weekly stay. Our budget saver is membership parks. Only way we can keep the costs under $20/night.
Cost of staying at a average campground, what do you spend on fuel (either gas or DP).

KC

Tags
full time