Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-09-2017, 08:07 AM   #1

Reasons for leaving the full-time lifestyle.

My wife and I still work and like to travel in our RV. We are in our 40's. We think we would like to full-time. We are considering selling our house and purchasing a deeded RV site. We talk to a lot of people who love it and have no regrets. We would like to hear from people who either had issues or just couldn't get used to the lifestyle. I realize our choices will be ours and only we can affect the outcome. Thanks to every one who replies or reads our topics.
jmuir26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-09-2017, 08:17 AM   #2

Not full timing and doubt we ever will. For the folks I have known who did it most left over health issues. The act of getting rid of everything and selling the house is usually enough to sort out the folks who think it would be nice but don't really want the life style.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 08:22 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
My wife and I travelled for a year one time. The first six months we felt we could go on for ever! But by the time 10 months had passed, we were ready to go home. It's not for everyone, but some seem to relish in it. I would suggest you take a year to try it out, but do not get out of the housing market. RV's depreciate at an amazingly fast rate and when you are done with travelling, you will have nothing to fall back on. The best of luck to you whatever you decide.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 08:26 AM   #4

Rexhall Owners Group
One consideration is privacy. Your walls are only 1"-2" thick. And your neighbors in an RV park are only a few feet away.

" Don't come a knockin' when this RV is rockin' ".
RolandRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 08:34 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We are fulltiming and do intend (so far) to go to part-time in 5-10 years.

Health is the first reason we might have to quit FT. Finances, of course, could also cause this to become too much of a struggle.

I think that aggravation might be the thing that eventually gets us to quit FT, though. The process of finding places to stay; campers who are obnoxious (loud, rude, smoky, dog-poop-droppers, etc); bad roads...

For now, the good parts over-ride the bad :-). It's all I can hope for, for RVing and for life in general :-)
Stripe34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 11:40 AM   #6

Thanks everyone. We appreciate the input keep them coming.
jmuir26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 04:04 PM   #7

We lived fulltime on our 35 ft cruising boat for 5 years. We cruised the East coast from the Canadian border down to the Florida Keys.

Once our adult daughter moved out, we stored the boat in Florida, and went to NJ and sold the house.

Once sold, we and picked up the MH and split time between highways and waterways for 2 years.

RVed a bunch of places, East of the Mississippi and decided we enjoy 6 MPH over 60 MPH.

Last spring, we bought a summer house, with a dock, on the NY Erie Canal and a second smaller cruising boat. For now the MH is used for visiting family and snow birding.

We may take the MH and head West one day, but boating is still in our blood.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 12:45 AM   #8

Since you're still working, where will you be living in winter? RVs are very difficult and expensive to keep warm in cold temps. Are RV parks open in winter where you'll be staying? Since you're working, how much time do you have for traveling? Just something to think about.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 04:17 AM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
We enjoy the peace and quiet of the home in the country. I am retired she has 6 years left. Her, being a school teacher, allows us to travel for two and a half months out of the year. We both enjoy traveling and seeing different parts of the country. Then we both, look forward to the peace and quiet of the S&B.

One reason that keeps us from considering full time is the health insurance issues.

second reason: Thank goodness she has a long arm sewing machine she can't live without.
Old 01-14-2017, 08:15 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Health would be the only reason I would quit RVing.
And then into a old folks home or apartment.
Home ownership has too many chores and expenses.
Old 01-14-2017, 11:43 AM   #11
tcg

We would love to full time but my health is stopping us.

I have coronary artery disease, I've had a heart attack, stroke and a few stents.

Everything is well managed but I will have another heart attack, stroke, or blockage.

I don't want to be very far from my cardiologist who's keeping me upright and will do any intervention as it comes up.

Sure, if I have a heart attack I can get to an ER but if I'm in some little hick town and they have to transport me I lose very valuable time.

Make sure you have a plan and if you're on medicare and have supplemental policy make sure you know where you can go to get covered.
tcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 12:29 PM   #12

I retired at 50 in 2003
GF retired 4 yrs later
We sold the house and everything ....bought new truck & 5th wheel then hit the road to travel and explore.
For 7 yrs we went all over the USA......border to border/West to East---North to South using secondary/back-roads and rarely using same hwys twice.

Then life threw a curve and we decided to come of the road.
Not traveling weekly/bi-monthly we saw no need to live parked somewhere in 280 square foot living space.
Great for traveling/adventuring but not JUST parked.

Bought a small home, 1/4 acre lot with great neighbors/neighborhood and lifes curve ball is just that...a different phase in life

Do miss the traveling as we really enjoyed it and had great FUN
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 03:39 PM   #13

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcg View Post
We would love to full time but my health is stopping us.

I have coronary artery disease, I've had a heart attack, stroke and a few stents.

Everything is well managed but I will have another heart attack, stroke, or blockage.

I don't want to be very far from my cardiologist who's keeping me upright and will do any intervention as it comes up.

Sure, if I have a heart attack I can get to an ER but if I'm in some little hick town and they have to transport me I lose very valuable time.

Make sure you have a plan and if you're on medicare and have supplemental policy make sure you know where you can go to get covered.
Dave had a stroke in 2000, went back to work 6 weeks later. In 2006, he retired and one week later had 3 stents in his coronary artery - the longest 2 1/2 inches to take care of 3 blockages. Family history of cardiovascular disease. He developed Type 2 diabetes, and now has some diminished kidney function. Yes, he could have a coronary when we are traveling - but someone without a family history could also have problems. We've slowed down and now spend 6 months in Mesa, then 6 months traveling. Yes, we have to make some changes, but we never thought of not going. In fact, after the stents he was told to "go have fun" - you never know how long you have, so don't let fear deter you from trying. I survived ovarian cancer - refuse to worry about the fact that one day I will die.
Blog
Barbaraok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 06:10 AM   #14

Hey, everyone dies at some point, you only get one life. Get out and do something that makes you happy. I've stayed around home most of my life, because of my job (self employed). It's time to see some country. Been on the road two and a half months so far, loving it. Can't believe we are actually doing it.

2009 Safari Cheetah 40'
350 HP Cat
2014 Ford Focus
Air Force One
G Schulz is offline   Reply With Quote