Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-23-2013, 02:29 PM   #1

Recommendations for dehumidifier?

We are full timers traveling the country for work and we are currently in Oklahoma. With the drop in temps to freezing at night, when it warms up in the morning I have a lot of condensation inside. I have noticed it is causing some mold/mildew to grow in some corners of the windows.
I know I need to get a dehumidifier...
What are your recommendations for one for a 36' TT?
I have heard a few people talk about a Eva-Dry Edv-2200 Mid-Size Dehumidifier, but I would like to know what everyone elses experience with ones they have purchased.

Thanks!
IrieByTheSea is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-28-2013, 01:52 AM   #2

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I considered getting a dehumidifier when I was parked near Houston. Everything mildews down there. I like to shop using Amazon.com's reviews. They seem to be the most honest and complete. I have been saved from throwing away $ on bad products many, many times. I chose what to buy based on their reviews, but still check other sites for the best price.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 03:41 AM   #3

iRV2 No Limits Club
In our bricks a sticks home I am running two humidifiers to keep our inside humidity at 30%, less than that is very uncomfortable. However on the windows that are not double pane there is condensation and freezing. The solution is to use the shrink plastic window kit to form an additional barrier and use a fan to keep the inside air moving.
Yes there are dehumidifiers and yes they work and a good one for small spaces is the Eva Dry.
Shadowcatche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 08:38 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
dehumidifiers; to dry or not to dry....

I have tried the Eva-dry units and find they don't remove near enough water. They do not use a refrigerant/compressor system and therefore don't remove high volumes of H2O from the air. I use a Soleus 45 pint unit (SC-DEH-45-2) that has an actual compressor and it removes a tremendous amount of water when inside-coach humidity is high. I'm sure the smaller 30 pint unit would also do the job. The compressor type units do produce some noise and heated air output, but modern design has keep it to an acceptable level. Our unit is in the main living area by the dinette and acceptable on both counts. One thing to look at before purchasing is the air intake and exhaust placement on the unit. Some exhaust to the top, some to the rear and some to the side. Depending on where you will place it in your coach may dictate the unit design; you don't want to obstruct air flow. My Soleus intakes air from the top-rear and exhausts from the top-right side. As a side note, I believe full-timing does lend to creating higher humidity inside the coach as a result of extended daily routines. Happy and 'dry' RVing....
workbgone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 09:12 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Just adding myself to the list. We'll I need a dehumidifier this summer for a trip to Oregon. I've heard about the Eva dehumidifiers but worried they would not take enough water out of the air.
Old 01-31-2013, 09:08 AM   #6

Thank you all for the responses.
I usually use Amazon for majority of my purchases, but most of the reviews for these dehumidifiers I am looking at typically are in houses, or have some ridiculous complaints that bring the score down and make a product seem like garbage that isn't. Wanted to see others experience in RV's.
I really only have an issue with the living room area having a lot of moisture at this time of year because it is so open (two large slides on either side) and has large windows everywhere. I thought about using the plastic, I had seen it at home depot, but the way the "curtains" and shades are on the window almost makes it impossible to seal the top in. The rear where the bedroom and bathroom is has no issues because it is the warmest part of our RV so it stays dry unless you take a shower which then we just open the top vent in the bathroom.
I think I could probably get away with a small unit for the main area and then place something like a damp rid in my row of cabinets rather than having them open all the time as I have seen some suggest in other threads.
I have seen that in the reviews for the Eva-Dry mid size that the power adapter gets very hot and many people are uncomfortable leaving it running unattended. Personally, I don't think I would be comfortable leaving it running while I sleep... either way I don't want to risk burning my home/rv down!
I am seeing some good things about Frigidaire... I will continue to hear out other RVers
IrieByTheSea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 05:40 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
We purchased the small Eva-dry unit awhile back, and it didn't do such a good job, too small. But then I checked their web site and they also made a bigger model so we bought two of those. They do a much better job and will pull a good amount of water considering there simplicity. I put one in the front of our motorhome and one back by the bathroom/bedroom area. There reasonably priced and you could always buy a couple more giving four of them to do a better job yet.
Bob (WA0MQE) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 07:38 PM   #8

I know this thread is old, but if I'm shopping for an RV dehumidifier, I suspect others may read here too.

Was tempted to get the Soleus SC-DEH-45-2 until I read about recalls for starting a number of fires. So you may wish to research. Be careful out there!

"Gree Reannounces Dehumidifier Recall Following 450 Fires and $19 Million in Property Damage; Brand Names Include Frigidaire, Soleus Air, Kenmore and Others. This recall involves 20, 25, 30, 40, 45, 50, 65 and 70-pint dehumidifiers with brand names Danby, De’Longhi, Fedders, Fellini, Frigidaire, GE, Gree, Kenmore, Norpole, Premiere, Seabreeze, SoleusAir and SuperClima."
marvhein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 09:45 PM   #9

Eva-Dry does almost nothing, we went with a 50-pint one

We have those Eva-Dry things and while they really are pretty quiet, they don't remove much water. We needed something more.

After reading The Best Dehumidifier | The Sweethome I purchased a Frigidaire 50-pint dehumidifier http://amzn.to/2rhNcue and we've been happy with it.

50 pint dehumidifier in an RV is a lot, but I felt like we needed it when we lived in a rainy climate. The 30-pint variants are almost as big, almost the same amount of money, and much harder to find.
dogisdriving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 03:11 PM   #10

I just bought a 35 pint Hisense at Lowe's for about $169. It pulls in from the sides and exhausts out the top, so it can be placed flush with a wall. Seems to be doing a fine job, and not too large/heavy.
Deep Water D is offline   Reply With Quote