RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-10-2014, 11:38 AM   #1

Forest River Owners Club
Recommended Mod to MH to make Full-timing Easier

I'd love to hear any and all mods you folks have done to your MH's to make your full-timing lifestyle easier... Interior mods?? Storage mods?? Just anything you might suggest to someone about to jump into this lifestyle....

ernest917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-10-2014, 01:04 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
We have added a long list of add-ons and upgrades.
One that we did that we think was great but don't see done very often is add a second medicine cabinet. Have a his and hers now.

A couple of others.
A fabric shoe holder on a side wall of the closet. She made it out of denim. Holds 15 pairs or so.

On the back of one of the closet doors attached a 1/8 inch plywood piece probably 12 by 18 inches or so with u-shaped plastic clips on it that her spice bottles fit into. Must be 25 or more clips and bottles.

Added an oak strip with plastic covered hooks behind the stove top and below the vent hood to hang kitchen utensils like spatulas, big spoons, and so forth.

She covered a plastic file container with the same Ultra Leather we used to reupholster all of our furniture with. There is foam under the material on the top. This acts as both a file cabinet and a hammock.

Old 08-10-2014, 01:57 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
We've taken the TV down from above the driver's seat. We then also taken out the j couch, still have the pull out couch. Then we put an entertainment center where the j couch was across from the pull out. Then hung the new LED TV under the cabinet over the entertainment center. All the other things like the printer and PS3 are held down on the entertainment center with this stuff - Collectors Hold Museum Putty - - Amazon.com - Keeps things where we want them but we could move them if needed. Thom also rewired some stuff to have the outlet in a better place for all the electronics now moved to there.

We took out the washer/dryer combo. It was not big enough for Thom and I to use effectively since Thom still works and we accumulate 5 to 8 loads of laundry a week. We put in some pull out shelve things for storage.

We took out the Dometic fridge and replaced it with a Frigidaire. Works much better, is bigger to hold more and it uses less electric than the Dometic did even when it was on propane.

We've also replaced just about every light with LEDs. There is now much less electric used and heat generated with the lights.

Oh yea we also replaced the old 1500 watt modified sine wave inverter with a 3000 watt pure sine one.
Old 08-10-2014, 02:13 PM   #4

Forest River Owners Club
Silly....

Would love to see pics of the entertainment area..... Sounds like a great idea...
Old 08-10-2014, 04:06 PM   #5
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
We've made a few changes since we bought our MH. We're not fulltimers yet, but planning to try it for a year soon. Below is the mod that has made the most difference for us. We also upgraded the surround sound system.

The head-banger is finally GONE!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 04:12 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
The residential fridge was the BIG mod for us. Love it and would never go back! \ken
Old 08-10-2014, 04:47 PM   #7

Here's a few
removed one sofa for 2 Lazy Boys with small table with lamp
removed original tv over windshield, custom cabinet with adjustable shelves behind doors
new credenza twice as deep as original with hidden filing drawer, printer, and office supplies.
grey valve electrically operated from inside the coach (nice option if ft)
LED lights
5th level sleepnumber bed kingsize (bad back)
MCD shades throughout including windshield
Ceramic tinted windows 30% for heat
replaced old laptops with tablets (space and conveinance)
insulated every cabinet, closet, behind drawers more
insulated water heater more (faster recovery time)
insulated headliner above windshield (much better)
these changes may seem not to have anything to do with fulltime but all of them makes everyday life a little more comfortable in temp, quiter and conveinant. There are several more I'm sure I have forgotten to add. Fulltiming is not camping, it's a lifestyle you acheive with a RV.
Old 08-10-2014, 05:35 PM   #8

Forest River Owners Club
336muffin....

How did you actually insulate your all your cabinets, etc???
Old 08-10-2014, 06:37 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I'd like to know about the insulating too!
beamisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 07:37 PM   #10

In respect of the OP, ernest. I hope it's Ok. I grew tired of when we opened a cabinet or closet it would be much hotter inside. I aquired some of that bubble wrap aluminum insulation for a trial. I lined the outside and top inside of a cabinet, all one peice. This stutt is only about 3/8in thick if that. The next afternoon I opened the door and shot it with a temp gun and to my surprise there was 11degrees difference from a cabinet with no insulation! This is in a slideout on the hot sunny of the coach. Couldn't wait to aquire enough to do the whole thing.....and I mean EVERY thing on a outside wall!
Noticed a immediate difference in AC run time which is great so it's a little quiter. It has been two years with no moisture or mold, actually some cabinets with bath towels and such would sweat in really cold weather (single digits) but this has stopped since the insulation! For the cost and ease of install it's a great mod. We did not do the walls that you see, just behind every drawer stack, vanity, overhead and so on. Get busy!
Old 08-10-2014, 07:42 PM   #11

Forest River Owners Club
Where did you find the bubble wrap insulation ??? I'm assuming it has a sticky side ???
Old 08-10-2014, 08:02 PM   #12

Sorry, Lowes. 48in X 25ft roll was about $55.00. No it does not have a sticky side, cut 1/2in big in both directions. Thumb tacks if it droops, I probably used less than 25 tacks total coach. Start with closets and work down in cabinet size. This also works better than the pillows you buy at CW for the roof vents (fantastic fans) just to layers. Much easier to store when not needed!
Old 08-10-2014, 08:14 PM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
This is a long awaited list of mods done recently to our Bus!
Member Galleries - iRV2.com RV Photo Gallery
journey15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 08:19 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
I have completed a huge list of personal mods to my coach but the only one that stands above all others and has improved our RV Full-Time lifestyle by 1000% was the installation of the Samsung RF197 residential fridge.

There is no other that has improved our ability to buy, store and use food and beverages without throwing a lot of spoiled food away, having soupy ice cream and mediocre cool beverages.

Dr4Film ----- Richard

Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote