Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-23-2014, 11:41 AM   #1

Excel Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Retired fire service full-timers

Are there any retired fire service full-timers out there that may be interested in starting a "group" here on irv2? If so please reply with a short bio and what you travel in. I'm Bill, retired deputy fire chief. I retired in 1997 then went into oil and gas drilling, production and transportation safety and emergency response training until 8/2013. My wife and I are at Buckhorn Lake RV resort in Kerrville Tx then down to Mission Tx for the winter. We travel in a Excel Limited 5er. If interested in starting a group please reply and we will see what happens. Bill
chief02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-23-2014, 12:26 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hello, Bill! We retired about 4 years ago, sold the house and hit the road for only about 6 months. My wife broke her wrist, and while letting that heal we found a very small house on 5-acres near Salida, Colorado. I see you are from Farmington, I worked with a guy that left that department and joined the CSFD. We will have to PM that name. We plan on taking 6-month trips next year and trying to decide if our current Dolphin is going to keep us sane, or if we will need something larger. If that counts, we are in with your plan. If not, no hard feelings until we figure out the FT'ing.

My background with the fire service started in 1977 as a Crash-Rescue firefighter with the USAF. After my 4-year duty was up, I joined the Dallas FD and worked in the downtown area until 1986, when our camper broke down in Colorado Springs and we met a District Chief that took us in like we were family! 6-months later, I joined the ranks of the CSFD and stayed there until retiring. I promoted to Paramedic, then Lieutenant, working at the busier stations until accepting a position as PIO and Paramedic Lieutenant, which is the position I retired from.

My wife was an emergency room RN during my career, and we love the outdoors. Rockhounding is her favorite, anything BUT washing anything red is good with me. We like your idea, and have already been in touch with several other folks from the fire service and nursing worlds on this site.

Good luck with your idea,

Bruce and Judy
Firebug5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 12:50 PM   #3

Excel Owners Club
Hey Bruce, no real rules for this group we can just make it all FS retirees. I think your talking about Scott D? He spent a few years with us when I was a young LT. Good kid lol. Full-timing is awesome! We are in Colorado pretty often. Our son and his family live in Northglenn. I will get the details about setting up a group. Bill & Char.
Old 10-23-2014, 01:05 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by chief02 View Post
Hey Bruce, no real rules for this group we can just make it all FS retirees. I think your talking about Scott D? He spent a few years with us when I was a young LT. Good kid lol. Full-timing is awesome! We are in Colorado pretty often. Our son and his family live in Northglenn. I will get the details about setting up a group. Bill & Char.
Scott was the guy, we worked at 8's together when the bad guys were shooting at the firefighters. I will save those stories for a campfire.

Thanks for the effort to get a group together, let me know if I can help in anyway!

Bruce
Firebug5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 02:55 PM   #5

Excel Owners Club
Will do..sending a pm with my email
Old 10-24-2014, 07:40 AM   #6

I started with the California Division of Forestry (now CalFire) chasing wildfires in 1976. Made the transition to municipal FD shortly there after. Did all the regimens; EMT, Paramedic, Haz-Mat Tech, fire investigator, Department training officer, Public Safety Diver (Joint Agency Dive Team Coordinator), and finally retired as a shift Battalion Chief in July of 2012. In summary; The GREATEST job in the world.

I would love to see a group of us on IRV2.

Greg & Lynn (Full-timers)
2011 42QBH Tiffin Phaeton
2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland

Greg & Lynn (Full-Timing)
2011 Phaeton 42 QBH / Spartan Chassis
2003 Jeep GC Overland in Tow
FDchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 12:27 PM   #7

Excel Owners Club
Thanks for your reply chief Greg. Interest is growing. Stay tuned pass the word. Bill
Old 10-25-2014, 06:18 AM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
Glad to see there are other retired firefighters on here. I retired from the Anne Arundel County FD in MD just south of Baltimore City. Been retired since 07 just started full timing when we bought our first motorhome in July.
ravens2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 08:32 AM   #9

Excel Owners Club
Join us in "Retired Fire Service RVer's". Welcome!
Old 10-26-2014, 09:24 AM   #10

Excel Owners Club
As it turns out, having a "social group" is mearly a designation that the members have something in common. The group has no communication functionality between its members. So, we are going to start a continually running thread in the "General Discussion" forum. It will be titled " Retired Fire Service RVer's". Come join the conversation. Great idea FireBug5!