Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-03-2015, 01:44 PM   #1

Retirement plans to RV Full-Time

My husband and I are planning to retire, sell house, buy new unity w/murphy bed. Would like to be able to boondock for up to a week at a time. Planning on composting toilet, solar panels.
I don't know if this is possible. Has anyone done this ,and if so specs and suggestions. Lack of storage is a selling point! Cant wait to purge!
BOBO999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-03-2015, 02:01 PM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I would encourage you to check out the following:
Gone With the Wynns
they have a lot of info on boondocking, composting toilets and solar set ups. They give a great perspective from a user perspective not a sales perspective and have good blogs about it. You can search their web site for just about everything you are asking about.
Dennis Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 02:56 PM   #3
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined us!

Sorry I can't help with your questions!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 03:25 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner

Can't help with suggestions, but have moved the Thread to improve traffic.
Feel free to go back to the New Member Forum and introduce yourselves.

Best luck and safe travels.
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 08:33 AM   #5

I would think the Murphy bed routine would get old quick.
Filthy-Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 08:40 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBO999 View Post
My husband and I are planning to retire, sell house, buy new unity w/murphy bed. Would like to be able to boondock for up to a week at a time. Planning on composting toilet, solar panels.
I don't know if this is possible. Has anyone done this ,and if so specs and suggestions. Lack of storage is a selling point! Cant wait to purge!
It sounds like you want to go very small. Are you looking into motorhomes (Class A, C or other), travel trailers or 5th wheels?

Keep in mind that small floor plans be small amounts of storage so part of your search will entail lots of thinking about just how much storage you will need to carry you, husband and all the stuff you will need to live full time in your home. Some folks can live in a very small space and love it. Others will go crazy rubbing elbows all the time.

You have a lot of home work to do but you came to one of the best sources right here.

Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 09:00 AM   #7

Welcome to the forum!!

A composting toilet would not be needed unless you have very small holding tanks--30 gallons or less for just a week and two people. I have been told they are costly and worse than a black tank as far as maintenance.

As for the solar power, my wife and I can go indefinitely with 560 watts of panel power and 500 amp/hours of storage. We can use the TV and satellite box, laptops, coffee maker, and the microwave for reheats. We have stayed off grid for two weeks, came into town, dumped and refilled our water tanks and gone out again without running a generator.

We have been full time for 4 years in a 2007 Montana Mountaineer we bought used in 2011. I have had more fun in those 4 years than the 66 prior. I plan on quitting when they start shoveling dirt in my face.
halfwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 09:48 AM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
[QUOTE=Dennis Dean;2769482]I would encourage you to check out the following:
Gone With the Wynns
they have a lot of info on boondocking, composting toilets and solar set ups. They give a great perspective from a user perspective not a sales perspective and have good blogs about it. You can search their web site for just about everything you are asking about.[/QUOTE

I agree this is a very good site.
Old 10-04-2015, 05:16 PM   #9

I've never seen a Murphy Bed which folds down from the wall but some small units have a bed that comes down from the ceiling. Personally, we could never have one because we're not on the same sleep time.

A small unit will have very little storage space so think it out carefully. We had no problems boondocking or using forest service or national park campgrounds with our 40' motorhome and had tons of storage space.

Solar we had and it's wonderful.

Compost toilet? No reason. We could stay 12 days or so without having to move. At that time we'd go dump and refill with water.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 05:28 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Newmar had a coach around 2008 that had a Murphy bed in the bedroom, not sure which model it was but it tilted up into the wall.
Luv2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 02:06 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Good luck.
US Navy Vet.
Bruce C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 12:36 PM   #12

Can you fit in a Unity ... that's up to you! I don't see why not though.

You can find PLENTY of people living in van, small trailers (RV Sue in 17' Casita trailer), etc.

I like the Unity, but take a look at Eagle Cap 1165 truck camper. Its' 3 slides and has MORE room than Class B mercedes, by far. You need a gas one ton dually or larger to have have the payload to carry this beast. If you have plenty of $$ people get 5500 series trucks with custom beds and have tons of storage for extra water, grey, batteries, tools, etc.

The water and waste tanks on the large campers are 2X that of class B (and equal to <30' class A). Most truck campers advertise 4-season weather capability, R-19 roofs, etc.

You can leave the camper in camp and still have a <huge> truck for day travel.

Happy Trails!
Old 10-21-2015, 02:26 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBO999 View Post
Howdy and welcome!

Anything is possible. Whether or not you are comfortable living that way with that rig is another thing.

If I conserve water just a wee bit, I can dry camp for a month with my rig. The solar provides plenty of juice. I know people that cannot make the big water tanks on a big class A last more than a week (they must shower six times a day or something).

I don't have many keepsakes but between them and my "needs" (tools, spares, hobbies, etc.), I completely filled the basement of my Dutch Star. I suspect every person is different in this regard.
Old 10-21-2015, 03:42 PM   #14

Can it work, sure. Adding solar will extend your stays and you usually run out of water before power. The nice thing about swapping toilets is you will double your gray water capacity as you can use the black tank for extra great water. Watch the Wynn videos! Storage will be a challenge in the Unity and for us that would be a problem. We suck at downsizing...

Bill & Christine
40 ft Revolution LE Diesel Pusher & Honda Fit Sport
Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Chiefly1 is offline   Reply With Quote