Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-26-2016, 08:31 AM   #1

RV Contents Insurance

My husband and I are new "full-timers" and are wanting to get insurance that will cover our contents as well as our RV. I have been doing a little research, but would like to hear from people who have actually had experience with filing claims for some type of catastrophic loss or even a theft. I read some reviews of Good Sams that weren't very inspiring, even though they seem to have good rates. Can anyone give me some guidance?

Thanks,
Kerry
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-26-2016, 10:52 AM   #2

Good question to ask your insurance agent. Every policy and every company is different. We lost our first coach to a fire, but it was in our yard, and the homeowners policy covered the contents and damage to the barn, and driveway.

Also check the amount of coverage. When we lost our coach, the contents coverage came to a shade over $22,000!!!! You would be surprised how much small stuff cost and how much small stuff you have. Playing cards, flower vases, pictures, cameras, pencils, paper, rugs, flashlights, batteries etc. etc.etc.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 11:58 AM   #3

National Interstate Insurance Company

THEY specialize in FULL TIMERS Ins. coverage/policies
Just like S&B Homeowners. ------Slip/fall, medical, personal property, custom equipment, hotel if rig in for repairs, replacement value, etc etc.

We had them for 7 yrs that we FTd.........homeowners on 5th wheel plus companion auto on truck. ~$1500/year for both

Had 2 claims during that 7 yrs....1 minor ($800) and 1 major ($6000+)
Both were handled quickly, efficiently, no hassles, major had hidden damage that was found during initial repairs and was not an issue.
Premiums slightly increased during the 7 yrs but that was due to 'change of address'

Highly recommend them for FT's Coverage.
You invested in your 'home' now cover it with a real FT Policy

National Interstate Insurance - RV
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 07:50 AM   #4

Insurance for Contents

Thanks for the advice. I will definitely check with National Insurance. It is really amazing with you start adding up the replacement value of all the small stuff you have in your home! To say nothing of the expensive electronics and such. I really need to take care of this as it worries me all the time! As we all know, life if full of the unexpected.
Texasdrifters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 08:03 AM   #5

Progressive for USAA customers is excellent with great rates...
Old 11-27-2016, 02:54 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
We had Progressive full timers and later National General (Good Sam) full timers insurance, In both cases we paid extra for an increased contents rider. I don't recall how much the standard coverage was but it was not enough. We had a $50,000 limit with the rider.
Old 11-27-2016, 05:18 PM   #7

When I had National Insurance, they limited the amount of personal property coverage to some percentage of the RV's value, and it wasn't enough, and they had nothing to make up the difference. I think they changed that, but it's something to be aware of.

Also, you mentioned electronics. On my fulltimer policy with Blue Sky, I have personal property coverage, but an item isn't included if it's valued at over $500 (I think--something like that). I had thought that if I had to, I would just allocate things under the personal property coverage, as far as what to claim, but that's not an option.

My expensive laptop wouldn't be covered under the personal property coverage even if it was the only thing I was making a claim for and even if it represented only a small percentage of the personal property coverage I have. That surprised me.

So I have expensive items like laptops and bicycles scheduled separately, and last time I looked, the yearly premium on these items is 1% of the value.

But the wildcard is what happens when I suffer an actual loss, especially of personal property (which is what you were asking about). I've never read about anybody's detailed experience, but I get the feeling I'm going to have to show a receipt for every frying pan and pair of socks I buy, and I just can't imagine.
oatmeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 06:21 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by oatmeal View Post

But the wildcard is what happens when I suffer an actual loss, especially of personal property (which is what you were asking about). I've never read about anybody's detailed experience, but I get the feeling I'm going to have to show a receipt for every frying pan and pair of socks I buy, and I just can't imagine.
As I have said, every state, and every company and every policy can be different. We lost our coach and everything inside it to a fire. We had replacement cost policy for the contents. With State farm, we first had to list every single item we wanted to claim, list the age and the approximate cost including shipping, and taxes. Our list was 334 items long listing everything from aspirin to toilet bowl cleaner. State Farm then cut us a check for the deprecated amount of money for the contents.

Then since we had a replacement value policy we took that same list and started to replace everything. As we did I would periodically send State Farm an itemized list with copy of receipts attached. Each receipt was referenced back to an item on our original list. Then State Farm would issue another check for the difference between what the deprecated amount and the actual cost. This went on for almost two years! I developed a tracking spreadsheet to keep up with the comings and goings even catching a mathematical mistake or two in their calculations. State Farm was very accommodating allowing us to add items we forgot to list in the beginning, and they never questioned a single item on our list.

I warn everyone to make a inventory of everything in their homes and/or RV' and store that inventory in a remote safe place like the cloud or even the insurance agents files. As they say, pictures are indeed worth a thousand words, so take pictures of every room, every drawer, every storage compartment.

I never want to go through that again, but I am grateful for a wife with a great memory and the patience to work through this disaster.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 12:18 PM   #9

Thanks for the detailed explanation of how the contents get accounted for and/or replaced. I've always wondered.

I know it will be different depending on who the insurer is (and State Farm doesn't do fultimer insurance), but there's such a dearth of information on exactly how claims are fulfilled that I appreciate hearing about anybody's experience.
oatmeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 07:02 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Waste of money. I leave lower compartments unlocked. Stuff inside worth less than repair, replacing doors. Never had anything stolen. Never go to questionable places. Everyone around already has same junk. Rarely see outsiders because RVs are parked close together. Don't take valuables, leave at home. Don't advertise anything of value.
Old 12-05-2016, 04:19 PM   #11

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiesta48 View Post
Waste of money. I leave lower compartments unlocked. Stuff inside worth less than repair, replacing doors. Never had anything stolen. Never go to questionable places. Everyone around already has same junk. Rarely see outsiders because RVs are parked close together. Don't take valuables, leave at home. Don't advertise anything of value.
Did you know that most basement locks on many RVs use the same key? I believe it's #724. I have shocked many RVers by proving I can unlock their storage doors.

Mine are locked to prevent my 8 pound, long-tailed traveling companion from stealing stuff. Otherwise I'd leave mine unlocked. I never wanted anything in any vehicle that prompted anyone to break in to steal -- no 8 track, CB, expensive audio or Christmas presents.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 04:38 PM   #12

Quote:
Fiesta48

Quote:
Originally Posted by okmunky View Post
Did you know that most basement locks on many RVs use the same key? I believe it's #724. I have shocked many RVers by proving I can unlock their storage doors.

Mine are locked to prevent my 8 pound, long-tailed traveling companion from stealing stuff. Otherwise I'd leave mine unlocked. I never wanted anything in any vehicle that prompted anyone to break in to steal -- no 8 track, CB, expensive audio or Christmas presents.
IF FULL TIMING you are already leaving your stuff in your HOME

Homeowners Insurance for FTrs to cover your personal stuff etc. is not waste of monies....it is practical & prident.

Some way having ins coverage on a S&B house and contents
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
insurance