Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-21-2014, 06:05 AM   #1

RV inspections as income

Like many of you, I am looking for ways to earn extra money on the road. There is a new organization forming called the NRVIA (National RV Inspector Association). One of the main players is Terry Cooper (The RV Professor). To join and take advantage of their training videos is about $500 yearly. I believe I have the skills and with proper training, could perform RV inspections satisfactorily. I am interested in this program but have some hesitations and would like some opinions from this learned group.

Do you think a program like this is viable? What would your concerns be? I am trying to ask the right questions before committing to this.

Thanks!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-21-2014, 06:17 AM   #2

The concerns I have are; 1. Those who most are in need of this (older, in bad shape), are not going to avail themselves of the service; 2. Tie-in, and perceived tie-ins with service providers; 3. Liability of missed calls/subsequent accidents.
soricobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 06:32 AM   #3

$500 per year cost for the video, plus insurance cost, plus advertising cost, equipment cost and upkeep, travel cost to get to the RV, book keeping and or IRS tax filing service cost. Remember, if someone wants an inspection, they will probably want it done by yesterday! Can you adjust your schedule? Travel to their location? Be realistic in calculating your cost. Your true cost.

What would you charge to perform the inspection? How many can you reasonably expect to perform in a years time?

On the plus side you will probably meet a lot of good people, see a lot of good/bad RV's and you will learn a lot.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 06:37 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigd9 View Post
$500 per year cost for the video, plus insurance cost, plus advertising cost, equipment cost and upkeep, travel cost to get to the RV, book keeping and or IRS tax filing service cost. Remember, if someone wants an inspection, they will probably want it done by yesterday! Can you adjust your schedule? Travel to their location? Be realistic in calculating your cost. Your true cost.

What would you charge to perform the inspection? How many can you reasonably expect to perform in a years time?

On the plus side you will probably meet a lot of good people, see a lot of good/bad RV's and you will learn a lot.
Pete,

Good questions. Many of your points I have considered and think I have covered. The organization says they will have a localized referral system so I will only respond to requests in the area I am currently located in. I don't need to do many inspections for my income as this is not the primary source.

Thanks again for the thoughtful feedback
Old 06-21-2014, 06:57 AM   #5

During my past life when I performed that dirty 4 letter word called "work" I saw a good many small contractors who were good at what they did, go under because they did not realistically figure their cost verses what they bid to do the job. I'm currently working with a small 4 man fencing contractor (through Lowe's) who is so slow and inefficient in scheduling work he is currently carrying 150+ hours of labor cost for 3 months performing my fencing job alone. That is a lot of money he's out. (Lowe's will not pay him until he is completely finished his job and the customer is satisfied)

Anyway, the point I was trying to make was make sure you figure your cost as accurately as possible.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 07:05 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigd9 View Post
During my past life when I performed that dirty 4 letter word called "work" I saw a good many small contractors who were good at what they did, go under because they did not realistically figure their cost verses what they bid to do the job. I'm currently working with a small 4 man fencing contractor (through Lowe's) who is so slow and inefficient in scheduling work he is currently carrying 150+ hours of labor cost for 3 months performing my fencing job alone. That is a lot of money he's out. (Lowe's will not pay him until he is completely finished his job and the customer is satisfied)

Anyway, the point I was trying to make was make sure you figure your cost as accurately as possible.
Thanks again Pete,

Before I semi-retired I was an independent IT contractor so am aware of costs for jobs I worked. Also, my wife runs her own company as a bookkeeper for small businesses. I feel confident in my ability to manage costs and to meet any tax/insurance requirements.

My concern is more on the marketability of this service. I know people want it and to find a certified inspector would be preferred. I want to be sure it's worth the time for the return.
Old 06-21-2014, 10:10 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
RV inspections as income

Quote:
Originally Posted by osgoor View Post
....My concern is more on the marketability of this service. I know people want it and to find a certified inspector would be preferred. I want to be sure it's worth the time for the return.

Ah, there 's the rub! I looked at this a few months ago, albeit not as deeply as you have, and was not convinced it could work.

I think a demand may be there; my problem is the sourcing. Your training, certification, recurrent training, and leads all come from the same source. I believe they will also stipulate the fee range you are allowed to charge for an inspection.

Now, we've all seen it. The sad fact is that a huge portion of folks buying an RV, possibly even the majority, would just as soon trust the dealer to "inspect " the unit as they would call another person they don't know into the mix. So I think it may be several years before the notion of independent inspectors might take hold.

Given all the considerations the other folks have mentioned, I think your fee would have to be well over $200 to be reasonable for you, and I don't see that being doable- or allowed by NRVIA.

This is where my nasty, cynical old self emerges.

Is it just a lucky coincidence that their acronym is virtually identical to that of the RVIA (a respected industry organization with whom they are wholly unconnected), or is it their intent to mislead? Is it just coincidence that the NRVIA resides at the same street address, in the adjoining suite of offices, as Workamper News? I think not.

The NRVIA is WKN, second only to Good Sam in their relentless marketing to members. It is first and foremost a revenue stream. You will see increasing costs for recurrent training and recertification, and the inability to raise your own fees to cover your expenses. You would be no better off than a small contractor who does 75% of his business installing storm doors and decks for HD. They control your feed, so they control your business.

I hope my cynical old self is wrong in this case , and I wish you good luck in whatever you decide.
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 11:32 AM   #8

What will NRVIA be providing you besides training videos each year. I would think the content would change little year to year so yearly videos mean little in relation to the cost. Will they be advertising in major publications as well as smaller ones? Will they be providing referrals to NRVIA inspectors to consumers who contact them looking for an inspector? Will they be providing you with marketing materials? Do they set their prices or do you? Is this something you could viably do on your own and be just as successful without NRVIA? What is their plan as far as recognition to make NRVIA a trusted organization that consumers would want to use? How will consumers hear about NRVIA to begin with? I guess my questions all boil down to what will your $500 get you from NRVIA that you could not get on your own as an independent rv inspector? If it is not something useful that will help you build your business, then it sounds like the only one making money is NRVIA.
Orangepeel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 02:03 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangepeel View Post
What will NRVIA be providing you besides training videos each year. I would think the content would change little year to year so yearly videos mean little in relation to the cost. Will they be advertising in major publications as well as smaller ones? Will they be providing referrals to NRVIA inspectors to consumers who contact them looking for an inspector? Will they be providing you with marketing materials? Do they set their prices or do you? Is this something you could viably do on your own and be just as successful without NRVIA? What is their plan as far as recognition to make NRVIA a trusted organization that consumers would want to use? How will consumers hear about NRVIA to begin with? I guess my questions all boil down to what will your $500 get you from NRVIA that you could not get on your own as an independent rv inspector? If it is not something useful that will help you build your business, then it sounds like the only one making money is NRVIA.

Again, very good points. I have posed similar questions to them and have received mixed feedback so far.

More info:

They will provide an online referral system based on zip code or area but this is still in the works.

They do require 28 continuing education units per year to remain certified. This re-certification can come from different sources but, as was hinted at earlier, they would provide most of the CU's and at some cost.

They are not indicating any limitation on the fees that can be charged and have indicated the average price of an inspection is $600.00. This also can be a bit hyped by the point is "no fee cap". Also, no royalties are required.

The total marketing program is under development but they do say they will invest in marketing in areas where inspectors are located. As a full timer that moves around the country it may be hit or miss as to how this serves me.

I understand that this is a revenue stream for them but it is a business and not a charity. What has to be determines is whether or not the cost benefit ratio works as well for me as it does for them.

As I ask harder questions I will gauge how many and how deeply they reply. I am hopeful that they will not just stop replying and determine I am not worth the time as there are easier fish to catch.
Old 06-21-2014, 03:21 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by osgoor View Post
As I ask harder questions I will gauge how many and how deeply they reply. I am hopeful that they will not just stop replying and determine I am not worth the time as there are easier fish to catch.
I think you have the key here. If they are staying engaged and answering your hard questions that is a very good sign that they are indeed trying to build a legitimate organization not just putting together a profit center for themselves.
Orangepeel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 04:56 PM   #11

Freightliner Owners Club
The August 21, 2014 episode of the RV Industry News podcast features an interview with the guy representing the NRVIA.

I too am interested in doing something like this on the side but am not totally convinced. Im going to consult with some friends in the industry and get their opinion.

Here's the podcast link : https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/...840640386?mt=2

1996 Airstream Cutter '32 Pusher on a Freightliner X-Line chassis, Cummins 12V 5.9 Turbo, Allison 6-speed. 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Ltd. toad.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 02-14-2015, 06:22 PM   #12

Here's an interesting conversation about this topic..
RV inspectors - Are any of you actively working in that capacity? - Working on the Road - Escapees Discussion Forum
Old 02-14-2015, 07:13 PM   #13
Commercial Member

As a NRVIA member, I admit my opinion may be a little biased. However, the NRVIA is trying to establish consistent standards, ethics, and practices before the growing industry gets out of control like the Home Inspection industry.

Given that NRVIA is only a little over a year old, they have made some great progress and alliances with the other governing RV associations.

Two nights ago NRVIA had a State of the state webinar which is now posted as YouTube video. Some very interesting numbers showing the growth and needs were presented. The video is worth your time if you are truly interested.
Old 02-14-2015, 07:29 PM   #14

How many decades of experience repairing all the systems, and structure of multiple brands of RVs does an RV inspector have?????
I may have a unique, jaded view of things, as paper certificates hanging on the wall means nothing to me, if there is no experience, or ability tied to it.
Why would a few videos, and online classes, and some association sticker make someone an expert????
Understand, I think the home inspecting industry is pretty much of a sham...
I have known many people who did that on the side, that if they had a hammer, they would hurt themselves, and a with a screwdriver would be more likely to poke their eye out than fixed a wall plug.
IamJerryP is offline   Reply With Quote