RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-20-2018, 04:12 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
RV Insurance for Full Timers

I realize that this topic has been beat to death, off and on. I read quite a few threads but many were 2 - 6 years old, so I thought that I would ask the Full Timers group and get some current information.

My wife and I are going FT on or about December 1st and I began getting quotes on RV insurance as a full timer. We currently have insurance through The Hartford / AARP and were very happy with that rate, however, the quote I received from them for FT coverage was right at 5 times higher!

As you can imagine, this was a non-starter for us, so I began doing some research and got a quote from GEICO for just over double of what we had been paying The Hartford. Going from PT to FT, this did not seem unreasonable, however, I wanted to get some input regarding GEICO from others out there.

Googling seemed to produce about a 50/50 mixture of pro GEICO vs con GEICO comments.

I’m looking for some constructive advice from FTers without a browbeating. TIA for any assistance / advice you can give.

JWEibeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-20-2018, 04:20 PM   #2

I use these folks:
https://rvins.com

They got me a better rate with Progressive than on my own via the website.

I also had a claim and the experience with Progressive was very very good.

Your state of residence is a big factor and getting the toad insured as a full timer is another.

RMD3819 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 08:18 PM   #3

We have Safeco, pretty reasonable imo
BandMRVers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 09:10 PM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
When you fulltime you no longer have the liability from your house insurance to fall back on - - that's one of the reasons the insurance is so much more expensive. We went with Gila Insurance Group - https://www.gilainsurance.com - they are very familiar with RVers needs.
Blog
Barbaraok is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 10:01 PM   #5

This may be a stupid question, but why does the insurance company have to know you are fulltime? If you have a claim, can't you just file it as if you were in vacation camping somewhere?
Old 11-20-2018, 10:11 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RusLwt001 View Post
This may be a stupid question, but why does the insurance company have to know you are fulltime? If you have a claim, can't you just file it as if you were in vacation camping somewhere?

First off it you have a 'domicile' and use a Mail Forwarding Company those addresses are KNOWN by banking institutes, insurance companies etc

Secondly it is FRAUD
Insurance could prosecute....but at least they would deny claim and drop you

Besides....you would NOT have insurance coverage like a home owners policy because you wouldn't have a S&B.
SO having a Full Timers Insurance Policy is smart and covers more then just comp/collision
Slip/Fall accidents

Medical Coverage for visitors
Replacement value
Etc

Check out Overland

https://rvins.com/best-rv-insurance-for-full-timers.htm

Also Explorer RV....Ins Broker that finds multiple guotes
https://www.explorerrv.com/
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 10:41 PM   #7

We used Miller Insurance Co. to give us quotes. They'll search around for the best rate. Yes, you need full-timer's insurance and yes, it is an added cost. Some insurance companies don't even know what full-timer's insurance is.

Miller Insurance Agency
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 07:43 PM   #8

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
We used Miller Insurance Co. to give us quotes. They'll search around for the best rate. Yes, you need full-timer's insurance and yes, it is an added cost. Some insurance companies don't even know what full-timer's insurance is.

Miller Insurance Agency
Just signed today with Miller Insurance, They were half price of my other quotes. They are very familiar with fulltimers.
mrdinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 07:47 PM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
we use our rv port home as RESIDENCE and the bus is covered same but much less premium.
do you have a house or a place that would be considered a residence? a relatives house maybe?
my policy does not have a TIME IN USE provision, so we can be anywhere for any length of time

what state is your DL in?
powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 08:21 PM   #10

We just signed with miller ins. They were half priced compared to gieco We are based out of fla. Roxanne was great to work with
wingingit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 09:35 PM   #11

We pay a VERY Reasonable amount of money for Progressive FT insurance. Includes towing, hotel, and contents coverage as well.

The diesel 1 ton truck insurance is 3x more then our FT policy on the Trailer...
Old 11-22-2018, 02:30 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by powerboatr View Post
we use our rv port home as RESIDENCE and the bus is covered same but much less premium.
do you have a house or a place that would be considered a residence? a relatives house maybe?
my policy does not have a TIME IN USE provision, so we can be anywhere for any length of time

what state is your DL in?
We currently live in the southern part of Illinois but our house is empty and on the market, so we are living FT in our motorhome, except when we are staying at either or son or daugther’s homes for a visit. Because of my retiree insurance, I may be forced to keep my “domicile” in Illinois while utilizing a mailing forward service. There is a UPS Store in our town, which uses a physical street address, just like the major forwarding services. Still researching this, as well....
JWEibeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 05:36 PM   #13

We signed up for full timers insurance with Progressive for our TT and truck. We've never had a claim so I can't tell you how well they deal with claims.
Old 11-23-2018, 08:12 AM   #14
Ex Millwright / Army Vet

Location: Livingston, TX - This is our legal domicile/home base as we are FTers and travel around the country.
Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post

Miller Insurance Agency
X2.

This is who we have too.

It really pays to shop around. This function is about as fun as going to the dentist but is necessary.

marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
full time, full timer, insurance