Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-21-2015, 08:50 AM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Not all 10 year rule parks are uppity . ( some are sure) most are just trying to protect themselves from squatters druggies etc and before you laugh it's a real problem for park owners the park can become one you wouldn't stay in very quickly! My BIL was A cop and had more trouble with the two Rv parks near his town ( domestic disputes , drugs etc ) than you would believe! they weren't "live in run down" parks either! laws prevent timely eviction in many cases and the ( folks) like this know it and use the system. The park owner/ mgmt can't deny the people.... but they can the rig and it's just a tool
BillJinOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-21-2015, 11:14 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillJinOR View Post
Not all 10 year rule parks are uppity . ( some are sure) most are just trying to protect themselves from squatters druggies etc and before you laugh it's a real problem for park owners the park can become one you wouldn't stay in very quickly! My BIL was A cop and had more trouble with the two Rv parks near his town ( domestic disputes , drugs etc ) than you would believe! they weren't "live in run down" parks either! laws prevent timely eviction in many cases and the ( folks) like this know it and use the system. The park owner/ mgmt can't deny the people.... but they can the rig and it's just a tool
I've always wondered if a situation as above occurred if it would hold up in court. If the park owner allowed 'some' RVs that are over 10 years and kicked out others there had better be a better reason than 'over 10 years'.

Also, there are domestic disputes and drug users in the best looking parks. They just do a better job of hiding it.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 10:27 AM   #17

Our park had a 10 year rule for anything over 2 weeks but it was mostly look out the window and decide. Decent ride nice camper not a problem
mikell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 10:51 AM   #18

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcwventures View Post
Thank you everybody for your input and advise, it is making my husband and I feel better about buying an older rig.

One of the rigs we are considering is a 2005-2009 KZ Escalade 41CKS, which is a nice looking rig and like you all suggest we should hopefully have no problem. Thanks again
Don't overthink this. Strict enforcement of the ten year rule is not that common, and certainly should not enter into your purchasing decision.

Buy what you want and happy camping.
Dog Folks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 11:21 AM   #19

Ours is a 2001, nice looking, haven't had an issue yet!
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 05:44 PM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcwventures View Post
We are in the process of buy a used (2005-2009) fifth wheel toy hauler and will be taking off for full timing at the beginning of 2016 and plan to go for hopeful 10 years.

We have been hearing a lot about how some RV parks won't allow rigs older than 10 years, does anybody know this to be true and if so do RV parks ever make exceptions if the rig looks to be in good condition and not tattered.
This is true. These are "snob" resorts. Most of them will advertize this practice in there literature some place. Plan ahead and you will be ok.

Happy full-timing,

Rick Y
Old 07-26-2015, 05:56 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerichorick View Post
This is true. These are "snob" resorts. Most of them will advertize this practice in there literature some place. Plan ahead and you will be ok.

Happy full-timing,

Rick Y

These are not universally "snob" resorts. As several posters have said, it's a tool of management to screen their customers. I'm not crazy about the practice, but I understand it. Our full time coach is 12 years old now and it's never been a problem for us. We stayed at a place down on the Texas coast over the winter with the 10 year rule. When I made our reservation a couple of days before arrival and I answered '03 to the year of coach question, I was asked to email 4 pics of the coach. One of each side. 10 minutes later to reservation was confirmed.

At one time I got upset by such things but life is short.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 10:36 PM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
+1 on Steve's post. We've never had any difficulty with our '02, and we've stayed a few times at parks that had such a policy. These are not all "snob" policies, although the ultra-defensive would have you think so. Smart park operators do this to establish a legal mechanism that allows THEM to decide whom they rent space to on their property. It allows them to keep out "Cousin Eddie". As a rough guess I would think about 98% of the overage RVs pass muster.

John & Diane, fulltiming since '12
'02 DS 40, FL, 3126, '04 Element
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 09:32 AM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ownby View Post
These are not universally "snob" resorts. As several posters have said, it's a tool of management to screen their customers. I'm not crazy about the practice, but I understand it. Our full time coach is 12 years old now and it's never been a problem for us. We stayed at a place down on the Texas coast over the winter with the 10 year rule. When I made our reservation a couple of days before arrival and I answered '03 to the year of coach question, I was asked to email 4 pics of the coach. One of each side. 10 minutes later to reservation was confirmed.

At one time I got upset by such things but life is short.

Steve Ownby

Full time since '07
You are correct, Steve, in some instances. But I have read folks in past threads on this forum who have not been able to stay in one of these snob friendly campgrounds with there newly restored older RV. Some managers practice the letter of the law and ignore the intent. They don't want to risk offending the Provost owner by parking a '65 mint restore vintage next to them. Sad but true. I hope the OP never has this happen.

Happy trails,
Rick Y
Old 07-27-2015, 10:49 AM   #24

Alpine Owners Club
Well that is the Prevost owner's lost at not getting to know an RV enthusiast.

I've never understood the fixation on the 10 yr rule. If they don't want our money, we will go somewhere else. It isn't like all parks have the same rule. Our current winter park just asks for pictures if older than 10 years, not a problem. They also have a rule of nothing under 22 feet long and no tents. Rules are usually based upon problems they have had before.

Barb
Blog
Barbaraok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 06:37 AM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbaraok View Post
Well that is the Prevost owner's lost at not getting to know an RV enthusiast.

I've never understood the fixation on the 10 yr rule. If they don't want our money, we will go somewhere else. It isn't like all parks have the same rule. Our current winter park just asks for pictures if older than 10 years, not a problem. They also have a rule of nothing under 22 feet long and no tents. Rules are usually based upon problems they have had before.

Barb

I'm old but I think I still look good and am serviceable.