Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-09-2016, 04:06 PM   #1

RV Water softener and Reverse Osmosis

Hello

Any advice on RV Water Softeners and RO systems?
jbowlby is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-09-2016, 11:53 PM   #2

Check the RV Water Filter Store.
TechWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 07:16 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The smaller water softners that most RV stores sell work well, but you have to rinse the media in them often with salt brine. In fact so often after a while I found that it was a waste of time. I used mine for about 3 months before I just sold the thing. They don't really change the taste of the drinking water, just make it softer.

I assume you must be on some really hard well water. I'd recommend a 5 micron water filter to get as much of the dirt out as possible. Then I use a huge carbon filter for our cooking water. Drinking water on the other hand, is best done with an RO system. If you have the space to install one on your rig go for it they are well (pun) worth it.

I use a 20" 5 micron filter, then a saltwater softener before the RO filter at our house. We have extremely hard water and bad tasting water. I have an RO filter at our house and the filters last 2 to 3 years. Our RO system gives perfect tasting water. The water softener keeps us from having to replace the faucets due to the alkali in our water. They will foul up after just a couple of years.

We don't have a lot of room on our moho so we keep 5 one gallon jugs of RO water on board at all times. We buy our water from the water machines at the different grocery stores. The machines are a RO water filter system with a ultraviolet thrown in too, every once in a while we will run into a machine that they have failed to change the filters in, but not often.

The problem with RO systems is while they say they will work on 40psi they really require 60psi water pressure to function correctly. Most RV pumps work at 40psi. The other problem is that they often rinse the RO filter, so you will have a full grey water tank sooner than you think. I am aware of the newer non rinsing RO systems, but have not tried one yet. Any one with experience with these?
Old 09-10-2016, 07:29 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
RO systems for RV's take up too much room that could be used for storage plus there is a lot of waste water once you have gone through the RO process. You will also be running off of your fresh water tank ALL the time as that's where the RO water is stored until used.

I have used my Travel-Soft water softener for over 13 years and it has performed well all through the years. I have never had any mineral buildup on any faucets or in my hot water loop.

We use bottled water or RO water from local water suppliers or machines for cooking, drinking and for our dog.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 11:47 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
We use bottled water or RO water from local water suppliers or machines for cooking, drinking and for our dog.

RO systems for RV's take up too much room that could be used for storage . . .
An under-the-sink RO system does not take up much space. In fact, probably less space than all that bottled water you're carrying.

Quote:
You will also be running off of your fresh water tank ALL the time as that's where the RO water is stored until used.
This sounds like you're describing a "whole house" RO system where ALL the water in an RV's holding tank is treated.

I think most folks with RV RO systems opt for an under-the-sink system.

Quote:
. . . plus there is a lot of waste water once you have gone through the RO process.
Not if you plumb the waste water from an under-the-sink RO system back into the fresh water tank. Then zero water waste.
TechWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 12:31 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
I guess it depends on whether the OP wants just RO water for drinking water or RO water for drinking and cooking purposes or he wants RO water for his entire RV.

Yes, there are various sized units at a variety of prices, some which are counter-top, some fit under the kitchen sink and others will take up part of a storage bay as I stated previous.

More actual information available HERE to read more about RO systems versus peoples opinions.

Prices of various systems are HERE.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 01:40 PM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have the FloPuir Mark 8000 SEE HERE
Cost is $182 and includes shipping if bought from the site above. Regeneration is done with a box of common table salt.
It is similar to others like the "On-The-Go" water softener which is the one Camping World sells I believe.

Both are 8000 grain units which means they will last longer than those with smaller numbers without requiring regeneration. Some folks use "Water Sticks" but the biggest one of those I have seen is only 1500 grains. The 10,000 grain units will last even longer before needing regeneration.

In AZ where we spend most of the winter the water hardness is about 50 grains per gallon. That means that an 8000 grain unit will soften about 160 gallons before needing to be regenerated. Since we use about 13 gallons of water per day we have to regenerate every 12 days or so.

In our home in CO we have a water hardness of 20 GPG, there the softener will last about a month.
Old 09-10-2016, 01:47 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay L View Post
I have the FloPuir Mark 8000 SEE HERE
Cost is $182 and includes shipping if bought from the site above. Regeneration is done with a box of common table salt.
It is similar to others like the "On-The-Go" water softener which is the one Camping World sells I believe.

Both are 8000 grain units which means they will last longer than those with smaller numbers without requiring regeneration. Some folks use "Water Sticks" but the biggest one of those I have seen is only 1500 grains. The 10,000 grain units will last even longer before needing regeneration.

In AZ where we spend most of the winter the water hardness is about 50 grains per gallon. That means that an 8000 grain unit will soften about 160 gallons before needing to be regenerated. Since we use about 13 gallons of water per day we have to regenerate every 12 days or so.

In our home in CO we have a water hardness of 20 GPG, there the softener will last about a month.
X2

On-The-Go, FloPur, Water Stick etc all use same ion resin bead method.
Regenerate (clean beads) using table salt

Ours is an On-The-GO 8000 grain unit
We've had ours since 2007
2 adults....average regen is done every 10 days or so. Takes about 45 minutes total time.
Larger capacity units are available now

If looking for water softener........Same concepts/methods so buy the lowest priced one.
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 06:03 PM   #9

Freightliner Owners Club
I purchased and installed an under counter RO system from the RV Water Filter Store. The owner is very knowledgeable and will guide you through any issues. To solve the water pressure and filling the grey tank problems I installed two valves that turn off the water supply to the RO and turn off the line to the waste tank. This way, when connected to city water the RO tank can be made to fill. When dry camping I turn the valves off which isolates the RO tank from everything but the counter spigot.

My opinion is softening the water is something that should be done. Again, from the RV Water Filter Store, I purchase the double softener tank and mounted it in my water bay. Two filters feed the softener before entering the coach lines; one sediment and the other carbon.
jones47172 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water