RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-02-2019, 01:39 PM   #1

RV'ing full time as a life style

What would it take monthly to afford full time Rv'ing and the retirement life? Some back ground I am 47, (wife 46) have a VA income for $3,000 monthly. Have a decent Roth IRA going on. Not sure if I want to sell or rent my home out. If sold, I would be debt free and still have about $100K left over. My RV cost $600 a month and because I am military 100% disabled, Most of my camping would be free through out BLM lands and state parks, so the most of my cost would be fuel and food and a Jeep that we would be pulling for $300 a month payment. Oh plus about $100 or less for insurance. What would it take to go on the road full time and just get the hell off the grid once and for all?

US RV As-is is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-02-2019, 01:50 PM   #2

Here is one person's budget from 2017. Google and you'll probably find a lot more. Everyone is different is spending habits so you'll have to adjust to fit your circumstances.

$30,000/year is an average around full-timers but many do it for less and many for more. Ways to cut would be less travel (fuel) and less eating out, for starters. Many volunteer in public parks and get a free campsite but that really shouldn't be the purpose of volunteering. Good luck!

2017 - End of Year Expense Report - Here and There

twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 01:58 PM   #3
Ex Millwright / Army Vet

Quote:
Originally Posted by US RV As-is View Post
What would it take monthly to afford full time Rv'ing and the retirement life? Some back ground I am 47, (wife 46) have a VA income for $3,000 monthly. Have a decent Roth IRA going on. Not sure if I want to sell or rent my home out. If sold, I would be debt free and still have about $100K left over. My RV cost $600 a month and because I am military 100% disabled, Most of my camping would be free through out BLM lands and state parks, so the most of my cost would be fuel and food and a Jeep that we would be pulling for $300 a month payment. Oh plus about $100 or less for insurance. What would it take to go on the road full time and just get the hell off the grid once and for all?
Well you're going to get all kinds of suggested monthly budgets and it depends on each persons tastes, where you stay and so on. But from what you wrote here, you'll have $900 of payments + insurance and then all the other stuff it takes to do this. But I think you'll have plenty of money. Your insurance budget is way low for FTing though. Probably triple that or more for rig and jeep. And you didn't mention what type of rig you'll be doing this in. If you're going FT, IMO sell the house. It'll just be a PIA and a continued draw on your money resources, taxes, repairs etc. Keep about 20K-30K set aside and easily accessible for an emergency fund.

It's sweet to be debt free.
TEAM Martin & Joanie, FTers, RVM#181
2012 WGO Vista 35F, 5 ST, Toyo M122's/duallys, Centramatics (all around), TPMS, ScanGuage II, Safe T Plus, SS Rear Trac Bar, CHF (F/R), Koni FSD's, 2017 FORD Fiesta Toad, Escapees
Making Traveling, FTing and Our Motorhome "GREAT AGAIN".
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 04:57 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by marjoa View Post
Well you're going to get all kinds of suggested monthly budgets and it depends on each persons tastes, where you stay and so on. But from what you wrote here, you'll have $900 of payments + insurance and then all the other stuff it takes to do this. But I think you'll have plenty of money. Your insurance budget is way low for FTing though. Probably triple that or more for rig and jeep. And you didn't mention what type of rig you'll be doing this in. If you're going FT, IMO sell the house. It'll just be a PIA and a continued draw on your money resources, taxes, repairs etc. Keep about 20K-30K set aside and easily accessible for an emergency fund.

It's sweet to be debt free.
I was going to be boondocking, so I was going to try to keep it down to about 5k-10k a year (depending on how much I travel). I am alone, but will most likely have two pets with me (cat and dog but only cat is 100% right now).

Will pay for RV with cash (used), will have about $2500 set aside for registration and insurance each year, and plan on eating in the RV for 90-95% of my meals. Not sure what I am going to do about health insurance yet though since I am not even close to getting medicare. With the selling of house and collectibles along with my 401k, after buying and modifying the used 5th wheeler for solar, and purchase a generator I will have approx $500,000 left to live on (which I am finding out is not much when I will be 45 years old in 4 years). If I was to put 5 more years into my 401k and maybe add about 50k value into the house. I might be able to bump that by 50-75k to about $600,000 total. Being 50 years old instead of 45 and retiring will help a lot, and maybe just putting the money into some kind of high yield acct I might be able to survive on the interest? Most high % savings acct will get you about 10k for every 500k deposited a year.
Pyropete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 05:46 PM   #5

No one can provide an answer that will be right for you. Start with the same budget that you use living in your home and adjust from there.

Also, can you do all of your own maintenance/upgrades on both the chassis and house for your coach?
Old 09-02-2019, 05:52 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
The biggest issue for most of us under 65 is health insurance. You have a head start on that with the VA so what you are suggesting is very doable.
https://wordpress.com/posts/enjoying-life.net
spdracr39 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 06:00 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Keep in mind if you rent your home out in California and then sell it later there is a 3% sales tax that California tacks on to the sale of a rental property.

Check with your accountant before you start renting out a house.

Don't know where I'm going, spose I'll get there anyway.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 06:03 PM   #8
Ex Millwright / Army Vet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyropete View Post
I was going to be boondocking, so I was going to try to keep it down to about 5k-10k a year (depending on how much I travel). I am alone, but will most likely have two pets with me (cat and dog but only cat is 100% right now).

Will pay for RV with cash (used), will have about $2500 set aside for registration and insurance each year, and plan on eating in the RV for 90-95% of my meals. Not sure what I am going to do about health insurance yet though since I am not even close to getting medicare. With the selling of house and collectibles along with my 401k, after buying and modifying the used 5th wheeler for solar, and purchase a generator I will have approx $500,000 left to live on (which I am finding out is not much when I will be 45 years old in 4 years). If I was to put 5 more years into my 401k and maybe add about 50k value into the house. I might be able to bump that by 50-75k to about $600,000 total. Being 50 years old instead of 45 and retiring will help a lot, and maybe just putting the money into some kind of high yield acct I might be able to survive on the interest? Most high % savings acct will get you about 10k for every 500k deposited a year.
Is this the OP answering? Sure sounds like it. But this is a different user name reply than the original poster which was "US RV As-is"?

Hummm.....strange. Maybe using him/her's acc't.
TEAM Martin & Joanie, FTers, RVM#181
2012 WGO Vista 35F, 5 ST, Toyo M122's/duallys, Centramatics (all around), TPMS, ScanGuage II, Safe T Plus, SS Rear Trac Bar, CHF (F/R), Koni FSD's, 2017 FORD Fiesta Toad, Escapees
Making Traveling, FTing and Our Motorhome "GREAT AGAIN".
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 07:40 PM   #9

We hit the road FT in APril of 2007
I was 53/she was 49

New Truck/New 5th wheel paid cash
Debt Free

Sold house in So Cal 3.5X more then I paid for it

We (ME) are not Landlords.....never wanted to be nor would I be a 'good' landload cause I wouldn't put up with the BS tenents can generate.
Besides in CA 'they' are too protected

WE KNEW we would NOT be returning to CA to live ever again

We traveled WEEKLY/Bi-Monthly cause we went FT to see/experience the good ole USA.....not just park and live in a RV
RV was a mobile bed/bath/cook station

Traveling was the reason to go FT
We stayed at Developed CGs (Private & Public), at City Parks, Fairgrounds, Boondocked etc.
Went/did what we wanted......put more miles on truck out adventuring/exploring each week then moving RV place to place.

$2500/month
FTrs Insurance Coverage on RV plus Ins on truck
Fuel, Maintenance/Upkeep, Site fees, Repairs, SAVING/INVESTMENTS, Food, ENTERTAINMENT etc

DEBT FREE---still am
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 11:15 PM   #10

Quote:
Is this the OP answering? Sure sounds like it. But this is a different user name reply than the original poster which was "US RV As-is"?

I think the OP and Pyropet are two different people. It gets confusing at times doesn't it?
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 11:56 PM   #11

Quote:

What are you talking about? I am a single person with no other account. Shoot I barley use this site unless I have a question. Anyways, not sure what you mean by your comment. I assure you, I have better things like running my business versus being split personality with multiple screen names on a camping website. Search me! I post a few things here and there and my past post will show I am true back to my 1994 fleetwood bounder when I fist started on this site.
Old 09-02-2019, 11:57 PM   #12

Ya, I am not sure what this guy is accusing me of. Who has a second sign in screen name on a site like this?
Old 09-02-2019, 11:59 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
We hit the road FT in APril of 2007
I was 53/she was 49

New Truck/New 5th wheel paid cash
Debt Free

Sold house in So Cal 3.5X more then I paid for it

We (ME) are not Landlords.....never wanted to be nor would I be a 'good' landload cause I wouldn't put up with the BS tenents can generate.
Besides in CA 'they' are too protected

WE KNEW we would NOT be returning to CA to live ever again

We traveled WEEKLY/Bi-Monthly cause we went FT to see/experience the good ole USA.....not just park and live in a RV
RV was a mobile bed/bath/cook station

Traveling was the reason to go FT
We stayed at Developed CGs (Private & Public), at City Parks, Fairgrounds, Boondocked etc.
Went/did what we wanted......put more miles on truck out adventuring/exploring each week then moving RV place to place.

$2500/month
FTrs Insurance Coverage on RV plus Ins on truck
Fuel, Maintenance/Upkeep, Site fees, Repairs, SAVING/INVESTMENTS, Food, ENTERTAINMENT etc

DEBT FREE---still am
Just awesome. Then I am on my way down he right path to make this happen soon.
Old 09-03-2019, 12:18 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by US RV As-is View Post
What would it take monthly to afford full time Rv'ing and the retirement life?
That depends on how you want to live. If you like a T-bone and lobster every evening, and need an 8 foot bathtub with a separate shower, you're going to need like a quarter million a year. If you're going to stay on BLM land with a day or two overnight at a full hookup place to get water and dump out your tanks, etc., don't need insurance and can trap and gather your own food, then you can do it for like $5000 a year. I bet you'll be somewhere between those two.

Let me give you some insight into my typical budget. If I cook, $500 gets me a month of food easily and I eat well. $175 a month pays for my truck, RV, and motorcycle insurance. I average probably $600 a month in full hookup RV lot rent. I average about $250 a month in fuel. (Obviously, the more traveling I do the higher that goes, but if I stay somewhere for two months, I spend very little on fuel. Motorcycles are so cheap to fuel.) I pay about $100 a month for my cell phone and internet access. I give myself $500 for entertainment. That's going to the movies and the occasional trip eating out, and a new video game once in a while, and whatever. I also expect $250 a month average for maintenance and repairs (or upgrades). That comes out to a total of $2375 a month. Let's just call that an even $2500 a month because my last couple of months have been a bit on the expensive side. That's $30,000 a year. That's not much.
You've got another $1000 a month in notes, so if you live like me, you'd be looking at about $42,000 a year. Your VA income and that $100,000 from selling your house would pay for all of your expenses for a very very long time even if you spent as much as me. You're planning on doing BLM land, so that alone would save you a ton of money. Theoretically, if you have any kind of investments, you could simply retire now. Just bear in mind that such a plan assumes you're actually going to be happy living like that for the rest of your life. That certainly might not be the case. Try the full time life for a year or two before you make any big commitments.

Itchytoe is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
full time, rving