RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 09-02-2019, 01:39 PM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: moreno valley, CA
Posts: 79
RV'ing full time as a life style

What would it take monthly to afford full time Rv'ing and the retirement life? Some back ground I am 47, (wife 46) have a VA income for $3,000 monthly. Have a decent Roth IRA going on. Not sure if I want to sell or rent my home out. If sold, I would be debt free and still have about $100K left over. My RV cost $600 a month and because I am military 100% disabled, Most of my camping would be free through out BLM lands and state parks, so the most of my cost would be fuel and food and a Jeep that we would be pulling for $300 a month payment. Oh plus about $100 or less for insurance. What would it take to go on the road full time and just get the hell off the grid once and for all?
__________________

US RV As-is is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-02-2019, 01:50 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Enjoying the Western States!
Posts: 9,342
Here is one person's budget from 2017. Google and you'll probably find a lot more. Everyone is different is spending habits so you'll have to adjust to fit your circumstances.

$30,000/year is an average around full-timers but many do it for less and many for more. Ways to cut would be less travel (fuel) and less eating out, for starters. Many volunteer in public parks and get a free campsite but that really shouldn't be the purpose of volunteering. Good luck!

2017 - End of Year Expense Report - Here and There
__________________

__________________
Full-timed for 16 Years . . .
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Diesel
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th wheel
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 01:58 PM   #3
Ex Millwright / Army Vet
 
marjoa's Avatar


 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: FTers. We're all over the place.
Posts: 2,838
Quote:
Originally Posted by US RV As-is View Post
What would it take monthly to afford full time Rv'ing and the retirement life? Some back ground I am 47, (wife 46) have a VA income for $3,000 monthly. Have a decent Roth IRA going on. Not sure if I want to sell or rent my home out. If sold, I would be debt free and still have about $100K left over. My RV cost $600 a month and because I am military 100% disabled, Most of my camping would be free through out BLM lands and state parks, so the most of my cost would be fuel and food and a Jeep that we would be pulling for $300 a month payment. Oh plus about $100 or less for insurance. What would it take to go on the road full time and just get the hell off the grid once and for all?
Well you're going to get all kinds of suggested monthly budgets and it depends on each persons tastes, where you stay and so on. But from what you wrote here, you'll have $900 of payments + insurance and then all the other stuff it takes to do this. But I think you'll have plenty of money. Your insurance budget is way low for FTing though. Probably triple that or more for rig and jeep. And you didn't mention what type of rig you'll be doing this in. If you're going FT, IMO sell the house. It'll just be a PIA and a continued draw on your money resources, taxes, repairs etc. Keep about 20K-30K set aside and easily accessible for an emergency fund.

It's sweet to be debt free.
__________________
TEAM Martin & Joanie, FTers, RVM#181
2012 WGO Vista 35F, 5 ST, Toyo M122's/duallys, Centramatics (all around), TPMS, ScanGuage II, Safe T Plus, SS Rear Trac Bar, CHF (F/R), Koni FSD's, 2017 FORD Fiesta Toad, Escapees
Making Traveling, FTing and Our Motorhome "GREAT AGAIN".
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 04:57 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by marjoa View Post
Well you're going to get all kinds of suggested monthly budgets and it depends on each persons tastes, where you stay and so on. But from what you wrote here, you'll have $900 of payments + insurance and then all the other stuff it takes to do this. But I think you'll have plenty of money. Your insurance budget is way low for FTing though. Probably triple that or more for rig and jeep. And you didn't mention what type of rig you'll be doing this in. If you're going FT, IMO sell the house. It'll just be a PIA and a continued draw on your money resources, taxes, repairs etc. Keep about 20K-30K set aside and easily accessible for an emergency fund.

It's sweet to be debt free.
I was going to be boondocking, so I was going to try to keep it down to about 5k-10k a year (depending on how much I travel). I am alone, but will most likely have two pets with me (cat and dog but only cat is 100% right now).

Will pay for RV with cash (used), will have about $2500 set aside for registration and insurance each year, and plan on eating in the RV for 90-95% of my meals. Not sure what I am going to do about health insurance yet though since I am not even close to getting medicare. With the selling of house and collectibles along with my 401k, after buying and modifying the used 5th wheeler for solar, and purchase a generator I will have approx $500,000 left to live on (which I am finding out is not much when I will be 45 years old in 4 years). If I was to put 5 more years into my 401k and maybe add about 50k value into the house. I might be able to bump that by 50-75k to about $600,000 total. Being 50 years old instead of 45 and retiring will help a lot, and maybe just putting the money into some kind of high yield acct I might be able to survive on the interest? Most high % savings acct will get you about 10k for every 500k deposited a year.
Pyropete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 05:46 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
FatChance's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 2,528
No one can provide an answer that will be right for you. Start with the same budget that you use living in your home and adjust from there.

Also, can you do all of your own maintenance/upgrades on both the chassis and house for your coach?
__________________
'04 Newmar Mountain Aire 4016
400ISL/Freightliner
FatChance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 05:52 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
spdracr39's Avatar


 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Cabot, Arkansas
Posts: 2,075
The biggest issue for most of us under 65 is health insurance. You have a head start on that with the VA so what you are suggesting is very doable.
__________________
2004 Beaver Monterey Laguna/2015 Chevy Equinox
2014 Chaparral 327RLKS 5'er (FOR SALE)
2017 GMC 2500HD SLE 6.0L Z71 4x4 Standard Bed
https://wordpress.com/posts/enjoying-life.net
spdracr39 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 06:00 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Arch Hoagland's Avatar
 
Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Clovis, CA, USA
Posts: 8,664
Keep in mind if you rent your home out in California and then sell it later there is a 3% sales tax that California tacks on to the sale of a rental property.

Check with your accountant before you start renting out a house.
__________________
2004 Monaco La Palma 36DBD, W22, 8.1, 7.1 MPG
2000 LEXUS RX300 FWD 22MPG 4020 LBS

Don't know where I'm going, spose I'll get there anyway.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 06:03 PM   #8
Ex Millwright / Army Vet
 
marjoa's Avatar


 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: FTers. We're all over the place.
Posts: 2,838
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyropete View Post
I was going to be boondocking, so I was going to try to keep it down to about 5k-10k a year (depending on how much I travel). I am alone, but will most likely have two pets with me (cat and dog but only cat is 100% right now).

Will pay for RV with cash (used), will have about $2500 set aside for registration and insurance each year, and plan on eating in the RV for 90-95% of my meals. Not sure what I am going to do about health insurance yet though since I am not even close to getting medicare. With the selling of house and collectibles along with my 401k, after buying and modifying the used 5th wheeler for solar, and purchase a generator I will have approx $500,000 left to live on (which I am finding out is not much when I will be 45 years old in 4 years). If I was to put 5 more years into my 401k and maybe add about 50k value into the house. I might be able to bump that by 50-75k to about $600,000 total. Being 50 years old instead of 45 and retiring will help a lot, and maybe just putting the money into some kind of high yield acct I might be able to survive on the interest? Most high % savings acct will get you about 10k for every 500k deposited a year.
Is this the OP answering? Sure sounds like it. But this is a different user name reply than the original poster which was "US RV As-is"?

Hummm.....strange. Maybe using him/her's acc't.
__________________
TEAM Martin & Joanie, FTers, RVM#181
2012 WGO Vista 35F, 5 ST, Toyo M122's/duallys, Centramatics (all around), TPMS, ScanGuage II, Safe T Plus, SS Rear Trac Bar, CHF (F/R), Koni FSD's, 2017 FORD Fiesta Toad, Escapees
Making Traveling, FTing and Our Motorhome "GREAT AGAIN".
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 07:40 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 10,348
We hit the road FT in APril of 2007
I was 53/she was 49


New Truck/New 5th wheel paid cash
Debt Free


Sold house in So Cal 3.5X more then I paid for it


We (ME) are not Landlords.....never wanted to be nor would I be a 'good' landload cause I wouldn't put up with the BS tenents can generate.
Besides in CA 'they' are too protected



WE KNEW we would NOT be returning to CA to live ever again



We traveled WEEKLY/Bi-Monthly cause we went FT to see/experience the good ole USA.....not just park and live in a RV
RV was a mobile bed/bath/cook station


Traveling was the reason to go FT
We stayed at Developed CGs (Private & Public), at City Parks, Fairgrounds, Boondocked etc.
Went/did what we wanted......put more miles on truck out adventuring/exploring each week then moving RV place to place.


$2500/month
FTrs Insurance Coverage on RV plus Ins on truck
Fuel, Maintenance/Upkeep, Site fees, Repairs, SAVING/INVESTMENTS, Food, ENTERTAINMENT etc


DEBT FREE---still am
__________________
Is it time for YOUR medication or MINE
2007 Dodge 3500 w/Tractor Motor & NUWA 5vr
US NAVY---USS Decatur DDG-31
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 11:15 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Enjoying the Western States!
Posts: 9,342
Quote:
Originally Posted by marjoa View Post
Is this the OP answering? Sure sounds like it. But this is a different user name reply than the original poster which was "US RV As-is"?

Hummm.....strange. Maybe using him/her's acc't.
I think the OP and Pyropet are two different people. It gets confusing at times doesn't it?
__________________
Full-timed for 16 Years . . .
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Diesel
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th wheel
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 11:56 PM   #11
Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: moreno valley, CA
Posts: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by marjoa View Post
Is this the OP answering? Sure sounds like it. But this is a different user name reply than the original poster which was "US RV As-is"?

Hummm.....strange. Maybe using him/her's acc't.
What are you talking about? I am a single person with no other account. Shoot I barley use this site unless I have a question. Anyways, not sure what you mean by your comment. I assure you, I have better things like running my business versus being split personality with multiple screen names on a camping website. Search me! I post a few things here and there and my past post will show I am true back to my 1994 fleetwood bounder when I fist started on this site.
US RV As-is is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 11:57 PM   #12
Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: moreno valley, CA
Posts: 79
Ya, I am not sure what this guy is accusing me of. Who has a second sign in screen name on a site like this?
US RV As-is is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 11:59 PM   #13
Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: moreno valley, CA
Posts: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
We hit the road FT in APril of 2007
I was 53/she was 49


New Truck/New 5th wheel paid cash
Debt Free


Sold house in So Cal 3.5X more then I paid for it


We (ME) are not Landlords.....never wanted to be nor would I be a 'good' landload cause I wouldn't put up with the BS tenents can generate.
Besides in CA 'they' are too protected



WE KNEW we would NOT be returning to CA to live ever again



We traveled WEEKLY/Bi-Monthly cause we went FT to see/experience the good ole USA.....not just park and live in a RV
RV was a mobile bed/bath/cook station


Traveling was the reason to go FT
We stayed at Developed CGs (Private & Public), at City Parks, Fairgrounds, Boondocked etc.
Went/did what we wanted......put more miles on truck out adventuring/exploring each week then moving RV place to place.


$2500/month
FTrs Insurance Coverage on RV plus Ins on truck
Fuel, Maintenance/Upkeep, Site fees, Repairs, SAVING/INVESTMENTS, Food, ENTERTAINMENT etc


DEBT FREE---still am
Just awesome. Then I am on my way down he right path to make this happen soon.
US RV As-is is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 12:18 AM   #14
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 408
Quote:
Originally Posted by US RV As-is View Post
What would it take monthly to afford full time Rv'ing and the retirement life?
That depends on how you want to live. If you like a T-bone and lobster every evening, and need an 8 foot bathtub with a separate shower, you're going to need like a quarter million a year. If you're going to stay on BLM land with a day or two overnight at a full hookup place to get water and dump out your tanks, etc., don't need insurance and can trap and gather your own food, then you can do it for like $5000 a year. I bet you'll be somewhere between those two.


Let me give you some insight into my typical budget. If I cook, $500 gets me a month of food easily and I eat well. $175 a month pays for my truck, RV, and motorcycle insurance. I average probably $600 a month in full hookup RV lot rent. I average about $250 a month in fuel. (Obviously, the more traveling I do the higher that goes, but if I stay somewhere for two months, I spend very little on fuel. Motorcycles are so cheap to fuel.) I pay about $100 a month for my cell phone and internet access. I give myself $500 for entertainment. That's going to the movies and the occasional trip eating out, and a new video game once in a while, and whatever. I also expect $250 a month average for maintenance and repairs (or upgrades). That comes out to a total of $2375 a month. Let's just call that an even $2500 a month because my last couple of months have been a bit on the expensive side. That's $30,000 a year. That's not much.
You've got another $1000 a month in notes, so if you live like me, you'd be looking at about $42,000 a year. Your VA income and that $100,000 from selling your house would pay for all of your expenses for a very very long time even if you spent as much as me. You're planning on doing BLM land, so that alone would save you a ton of money. Theoretically, if you have any kind of investments, you could simply retire now. Just bear in mind that such a plan assumes you're actually going to be happy living like that for the rest of your life. That certainly might not be the case. Try the full time life for a year or two before you make any big commitments.
__________________

__________________
2014 F350 DRW 6.7L CC FX4 King Ranch Ruby Red Metallic 148,000 Miles 4,200 Hours
2018 Cherokee Grey Wolf 29TE | Because I'm home, no matter where I am.
2018 Honda CB650F | Because the truck leans the wrong way when I turn.
Itchytoe is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
full time, rving



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Is being independently wealthy a requirement for full-time RV'ing solo? Nomadnurse Solo RV'ers 64 05-27-2019 12:33 PM
Full Time RVing, Frozen Wasteland Style 1bigmess Full-Timers 7 01-14-2018 04:55 PM
Mileage Older style MH vs Current Style Craig36 Class A Motorhome Discussions 1 08-28-2017 01:57 PM
FT'ing to Prepare for FT'ing Chatley Full-Timers 7 07-06-2015 09:24 PM
Full Time RV'ing with Kids BeerLover80 Full-Timers 8 06-16-2015 11:52 AM

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:23 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.