Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-16-2019, 10:44 AM   #29

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard5933 View Post
You make some good points. But, who do you think should be paying for the roads you drive on? I'm for everyone paying their fair share - no more, no less. If we as a community decide we want good roads, then it's up to us to ante up and pay for them.

So I live in Atlanta, and GA has a 7% tax on the entire purchase. So if I can avoid the 7% why wouldn't it? I've paid "my fair share" the entire 15 years i've lived here and i've not gotten a good return on my investment in my community. Over the past few years Atlanta went from 11th worst traffic IN THE WORLD to 8th worst. What is my recourse for such poor performance "vote um out" good luck with that...

Let me put it another way, if you had a restaurant right down the street that was over priced, and was ranked 8th worst in the world would you eat there, or would you drive a little farther and eat at a restaurant with better food and more value for the $?

At some point I have to see the results of my investments, the roads are crap in terms of quality of current roads, and the over infrastructure is way way way over utilized and no real plan out there to fix the problem, instead of paying into the beast, i'd rather starve it. If our local, state and federal politicans had the same job performance in the private sector for a company that was publicly traded they would all be fired in the first 6 months, performance just isn't there. Just one guys opinion.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-16-2019, 10:50 AM   #30

American Coach Owners Club
In Texas, if your coach has handicapped modifications your doctor wrote a prescription for, the motorhome is sales tax exempt.
AE Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 11:42 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by AE Wanderer View Post
In Texas, if your coach has handicapped modifications your doctor wrote a prescription for, the motorhome is sales tax exempt.
This is likely done that way partly as trying to ease the burden of the handicapped, and partly b/c those modifications will shred the value of the unit.
Most taxes are based on the resale value if they aren't specifically called out as "sales" taxes.

The Carolinas in particular have yearly "personal property" taxes on vehicles that means that someone who buys a new pickup truck will be paying around $3500 EVERY YEAR to the state. Yes, it slowly goes down... But there is a reason that you don't see a lot of brand new vehicles wearing SC plates.
geordi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 11:59 AM   #32

Outdoors RV Owners Club
If you don't want to pay the sales taxes for where you live, move to where you want to pay taxes, then buy your stuff.

Lots of folks always say that if you can't find a job where you are, you should move to where there is work. Now that you can buy an RV but you don't like taxation, well, you know what to do.
Old 06-16-2019, 12:52 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by geordi View Post
This is likely done that way partly as trying to ease the burden of the handicapped, and partly b/c those modifications will shred the value of the unit.

Most taxes are based on the resale value if they aren't specifically called out as "sales" taxes.

The Carolinas in particular have yearly "personal property" taxes on vehicles that means that someone who buys a new pickup truck will be paying around $3500 EVERY YEAR to the state. Yes, it slowly goes down... But there is a reason that you don't see a lot of brand new vehicles wearing SC plates.
Do they also have income tax, sales tax, and real property taxes?
Old 06-16-2019, 12:57 PM   #34

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by AudiDudi View Post
I believe it is still cheaper than CA sales tax and registration fees - same for WA depending on the area. Montana Counties can also add some vehicle valuation fees to the registration costs.

Here's the section of code that details Montana's motor home registration fees. From MCA 61-3-321:

(7) (a) Except as provided in subsection (7)(c), the annual registration fee for a motor home, based on the age of the motor home, is as follows:
(i) less than 2 years old, $282.50;
(ii) 2 years old and less than 5 years old, $224.25;
(iii) 5 years old and less than 8 years old, $132.50; and
(iv) 8 years old and older, $97.50.
(b) The owner of a motor home that is 11 years old or older and that is subject to the registration fee under this section may permanently register the motor home upon payment of:
(i) a one-time registration fee of $237.50;
(ii) unless a new set of license plates is being issued, an insurance verification fee of $5, which must be deposited in the account established under 61-6-158;
(iii) if applicable, five times the renewal fees for personalized license plates under 61-3-406; and
(iv) if applicable, the donation fee for a generic specialty license plate under 61-3-480 or a collegiate license plate under 61-3-465.
(c) For a motor home with a manufacturer's suggested retail price of more than $300,000 that is 10 years old or less, the annual registration fee is the amount provided in subsection (7)(a) plus $800.
I didn't say an LLC wouldn't save you money if you qualify. I said it was less lucrative now.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 01:09 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
I didn't say an LLC wouldn't save you money if you qualify. I said it was less lucrative now.

Agree!
AudiDudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 01:39 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Yung2 Quit View Post
If you believe that paying excessive taxes guarantees a higher standard of living, then you would love California.
If you read my posts, you'd know that I don't enjoy paying taxes more than anyone else. However, it costs money to run a city/state/etc. and the money has to come from somewhere.

And you're correct, having higher taxes doesn't guarantee a higher standard of living. But, having lower taxes also doesn't guarantee anything.

As has been said already, if you live in a state with taxes you consider too high, there are lots of options including moving to a lower tax state.
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 01:53 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46490 View Post
Where can a person register a new MH and not pay sales tax and have their vehicle registered. What are the limitations and or ramifications for doing so.

Your profile says you live in Utah.

Utah collects a 6.85% state sales tax rate on the purchase of all vehicles. Some dealerships may also charge a dealer documentation fee of 149 dollars. The maximum tax that can be charged is 900 dollars.

I’d say you don’t have a problem!

Sorry to be a thread killer
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 02:03 PM   #38

Florida has one time 7% sales tax and a yearly $35 to $50 REG fee depending on the vehicle.
Old 06-16-2019, 02:07 PM   #39
srh

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbaraok View Post
And why would you stay residents of a state with income taxes, sales taxes, etc. when you go fulltime when there are lower tax options available?
Not so easy to do when you have kids that go to school and wife still working!
Thanks for your thoughts, though!
Old 06-16-2019, 10:29 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Yung2 Quit View Post
Do they also have income tax, sales tax, and real property taxes?
As far as I know - yes to all three. I owned no "real property" while I was in SC, so wasn't subject to that, but I know they have sales taxes and income tax.
geordi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 09:34 AM   #41

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by srh View Post
Not so easy to do when you have kids that go to school and wife still working!
Thanks for your thoughts, though!
So you aren't fulltiming? As in, moving around the country?
Blog
Barbaraok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 12:11 PM   #42

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbaraok View Post
Obviously most people in California believe that they are receiving services they want as evident by their voting for legislators who have enacted those taxes/fees. And yes, in a lot of ways California has a much better standard of living than other places in the USA - - which is why so many people keep moving to the state. What you don't like are taxes for things that YOU don't want/need - - and you will find that in EVERY state.
The Times, they are changin
According to data from the American Community Survey, from 2007 to 2016, about 5 million people moved to California from other states, while about 6 million left California. ... On the flip side, top destinations for those leaving California were Texas, Arizona, Nevada, and Oregon.
California has more immigrants than any other state. California is home to more than 10 million immigrants—about a quarter of the foreign-born population nationwide. In 2016, the most current year of data, 27% of California's population was foreign born, about twice the US percentage.
skypilot_1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sale