Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-30-2014, 06:04 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to dee911
Sat TV - what do you use?

What do most full-timers use for Sat TV? We have the genie system with Direct TV and while we're totally happy with the reception and technical part of it, dealing with Direct TV as full-timers has been nothing short of a nightmare. We were originally told that we could keep our local channels from home (Chicago area) no matter where we travelled. Well, that wasn't true. Next we were told that we should just call them every time we get to a new place and they'll change our service address so we could get local channels. That's fine, except that at least 30% of the time we get a rep who tells us that we need to change to a "mobile service" that will cost us $15 per month more. Every rep we talk to gives us different information.

What I've finally started doing is calling and asking for our address to be changed whenever we get to a new location. If I get the song and dance about "you can't do that unless you upgrade your service", I simply say, "ok, good bye". Then I hang and up and call back and invariably get a different rep who changes our address with no problem. This stinks! Is there a better way? I do NOT want to pay an additional $15 a month when no one mentioned this when they sold it to us. Any advice/help much appreciated!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-30-2014, 06:21 PM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Have a dish on the roof that can't be upgraded. so I bought a Tail gator When we move we call Dish and then they ping the signal for current address and call dish. then we get the local channels. We only call if we are going to be at a location for several days. It is a PITA calling them, takes anywhere between 10 minutes to an hour. safe travels ed
EDALLSAILS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 06:42 PM   #3

Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I'm not sure who can get to this so I'll copy it here for y'all.

This is from Bill Adams over on the FMCA site:

This message has been posted on the AAD website:
All American Direct will cease operations on February 25th 2014 at 11:59 pm. At that time our services will no longer be available. All customers with time remaining on their service will receive a prorated refund by check or credit card. For further information please refer to the FAQ tab on this page.

thrushl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 06:49 PM   #4

To be honest, I have no Satelite system. I could have enjoyed it while I still worked, but now I am too busy for TV or work. Really!

Being F/T fills ours days with adventure, our evenings with a bit of internet time, a fine home-cooked meal, and...ZZZZZZ....

But my MH came with a Wyneguard Traveler. Want it?
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 05:00 AM   #5
paz

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrushl View Post
I'm not sure who can get to this so I'll copy it here for y'all.

This is from Bill Adams over on the FMCA site:

This message has been posted on the AAD website:
All American Direct will cease operations on February 25th 2014 at 11:59 pm. At that time our services will no longer be available. All customers with time remaining on their service will receive a prorated refund by check or credit card. For further information please refer to the FAQ tab on this page.

For those who are new to satellite TV or to Full-timing, the best way to get network channels when on the road is through distant network service (DNS). Since RVers are mobile, they normally can't receive local channels because locals are spot beamed. DNS provides network feeds from either the east or west coast.

The FCC banned Dish from providing DNS several years ago because of alleged abuse. Therefore, mobile Dish customers have been relying on ADD to provide DNS. With ADD out of the picture, it is unclear how mobile Dish customers will be able to receive network broadcasts unless Dish can win back the right to provide DNS.

With the uncertain future of DNS for Dish customers, Direct looks like the obvious choice for RVers, at least for the near future.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 06:12 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
I am not fulltiming, if I did I think I'd prefer the sports on DirectTV, but I don't know about the problems with local channels. In our RV we use Dish, and with a few exceptions have had no problems callng CS and switching our service location and getting whatever the local channels are in that area. A long time ago I enjoyed the distant networks but I guess the networks want me to watch the ads in the local area....which I enjoy so much....not
hogdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 10:42 AM   #7

We are FullTimers and have the Tailgater from Dish Network. Love it! We do the pay as you go, so if we are on the road for a few weeks, or visiting family, or whatever...we just suspend the service, and turn it back on when you stop. You can pick what local channels you want, we were in West Virginia still getting Kansas stations. We started out with just a regular "point it yourself" Dish and stand...but I would give anything to avoid all the time and frustration my husband spent messing with it. Now we just strap it to an AC and off we go! Also, it's super lightweight and you can carry it with you, or put it inside, and don't have to worry about anyone stealing it.
TeamLyon1029 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 04:56 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to dee911
Thank you everyone for the input. Sounds like there isn't one easy answer and that different things work for different people. Sad to see the state of customer service that we've come to accept tho...very sad.
Old 01-31-2014, 05:25 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
There is a HUGE market in "Pay as you go"for Canadian snowbirds.
So far, Dish is the only provider.

Will Direct TV pick this up or will Canadians be forced into a
two year contract with Direct TV??????
luckyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 05:38 PM   #10

We spend several months a year in our motorhome. Have Dish at the house so when we get ready to go, just pull the receivers out of the house and take them to the mh. Have a winegard Traveler on the roof (highly recommend but spendy) and a Tailgater for times when a tree won't move out of the way. As we move I just call Dish and have them update the service address. Can get all but local channels without calling but we like to watch shows carried on The major networks. Currently sitting in Key West, watching Jeopardy out of Miami.
Dennis4809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 05:44 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
The east coast DNS comes from NY. Why not just change your service address to there.
And use your Bat Wing for locals where ever you are.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 05:46 PM   #12

We have the Tailgater for Dish and use their Pay As You Go feature.

Great HD and easy to switch to receive locals after a move.
Us out West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 07:56 AM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
I use the same method as you do when calling DirectTV. If I don't get the response I need when I call them, I hang up and call back until I get the right response. That is what customer service has come down to today. We use a Winegard carryout for our satellite dish.

I had a "customer service" person from DirectTV threaten me with an FCC prosecution if I didn't do what she told me to do. Hysterical.

2016 Holiday Rambler Vacationer 35DK towing a Chevy Equinox
cappelte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 05:45 AM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyd View Post
Will Direct TV pick this up or will Canadians be forced into a
two year contract with Direct TV??????
With a DTV 2 year contract you can have it shut off for up to 6 months once a year. And that will take you 4 years to do the contract.

That should work for Canadians.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote