Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-06-2008, 02:18 PM   #15

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Short story, it that I can watch Letterman and Boston Legal, 3 hours early if I don't DVR them. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
All of the DNS network programming include both East and West Coast (NY and LA for DTV and San Fran and Atlanta for Dish Net) so the 3 hour difference is available to all DNS users.
Bill Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-06-2008, 02:19 PM   #16

Workhorse Chassis Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Just so you don't get confused when DirecTV tells you that you cannot do this, the law (not DTV) specifically forbids any one account holder from having DNS service on their account when local Network programming is available. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bill, the whole purpose of the DNS RV Waiver is to allow DNS service in a motor home. They did not spevify that I could not use it near Phoenix as it is obvious I don't need it then. But we spend summers up north and don't have ANY OTA TV most of the time.

Or perhaps we are not understanding??

2002 Itasca Suncruiser - WH Chassis - 35U - 2006 Jeep Liberty
hamguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 03:07 PM   #17

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Bill,

You are parsing. I clearly stated and you copied that DNS RV Waiver is to allow DNS service in a motor home. Please don't parse to alter the clear meaning. Not to get cranky, mind you.

2002 Itasca Suncruiser - WH Chassis - 35U - 2006 Jeep Liberty
hamguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 04:13 PM   #18

Not sure what I was thinking when I made my post. I have deleted its inaccurate information and I apologize to anyone who may have been confused by my post.
Old 06-13-2008, 03:24 AM   #19

Shortly after going fulltime we purchased a King Dome and DirecTV service at a rally. The installation was completed in less than 2 hours.

The Dome has two feeds, one to the main cabin and one to the bedroom.

Check with FMCA or your coach manufacturer's club for a list of vendors.

Fulltimers! - Currently in Gainesville, FL - working as Webmaster & Special Projects Manager
Digital Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 10:21 AM   #20

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
What ever you do stay away from Dishnetwork. I just found out there is a $5.00 charge for the extra receiver and $5.00 a monthe programing charge because the receiver not hooked to a phone line. Also because I cut the power to the two receivers at my house when I am out they are charging me another $10.00 a month programing fee. It seems the receivers have to call in from time to time. I have made another post about this under Just Conversation.
Tom
diandtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 02:11 PM   #21

Both DirecTV and Dish Network charge you an additional $5 for each additional receiver ($4.99). I have never heard of either service charging because a receiver is not connected to a phone line. There is no written requirement for a phone line in any agreement that I have read.
I suspect that you have gotten some bad information which is not unusual. Do you have a billing statement that shows these charges or is this just something that some idiot told you on the phone?
Old 06-13-2008, 02:17 PM   #22

We have Dish Network both at home and in the Coach. I do not have any of the receivers at home hooked up to a telephone line and have never had any problems with Dish about it. We never order any PPV movies so our installer said not to bother hooking up the phone line.

We are having trouble with the satellite on the coach as we cannot get it to lock onto 119 which is the satellite we watch the most. We can lock onto 61.5 and 110 but not 119. I am not sure what to do next.
Meandering Retiree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 02:36 PM   #23

The information you provide about your billing is what I suspect all Dish Net users will find to be correct.
If you are having problems with your antenna you should start a new topic with as much detail as possible but at a minimum what kind of antenna you are talking about.
Old 06-14-2008, 04:26 AM   #24

UUHHH Bill, Dish has charged for no phone hook-up for a good many years. Although I've been called and idiot off and on through out my life, "I" still don't believe it. lol
Having said that, there are a good many people that are not being charged for lack of phone hookup but they are just flying under the radar so to speak. I had to go to ceo@echostar.com to get rid of the $5.00 the last time I hooked up a new receiver and even they told me I was suppose to pay but they would except me "this time". That was the 2nd time I had a problem re phone hookup over the years and was able to get it worked out both times. For a year or two, I'm not sure of exact time, Dish had an RV group with their own number that was pretty good at RV related problems. Problem was, when I called them re Portland locals one time while I had DNS, I had several items that had been flying under the radar and lost all of them and still did not get my locals because I had DNS. Dang! AND, you were correct in an earlier post re not having locals and DNS at the same time. That's just not kosher but many are flying under the radar in that regard also, doesn't mean there are no regs against it. Pretty much anything you want to do with Dish or DTV you can do if you just keep calling back till you get the "right" CS person.

Ron

2004 Mt Aire 4301
ronharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 05:46 AM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Meandering Retiree:
We never order any PPV movies so our installer said not to bother hooking up the phone line.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
You don't even need a phone line to order PPV. Both Dish Network and DirecTV have online ordering of PPV...we've ordered PPV movies this way for years since we've never had our receivers hooked up to a phone line (first with Dish Network and now with DirecTV).
Old 06-14-2008, 06:30 AM   #26

We have DTV at home so we just added the RV.
I opted for an antenna on a tripod. That way I can find (most times)the satellite when camping
near trees.
I did everything "online", printed the form,mailed with a copy of the vehicle registration ordered the receiver. When I got the receiver I hooked it up, (piece of cake)set up the antenna, and called for activation.
It is $4.99 a month for receiver and $11.99 for the Distant network feed. We travel all year long, so $17.00 a month is OK.

Be sure to read the application. It addresses using a receiver that is installed at your home.

Which ever way you go ... enjoy !!

Best Regards, Clyde
Old 06-14-2008, 01:47 PM   #27

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">UUHHH Bill, Dish has charged for no phone hook-up for a good many years. Although I've been called and idiot off and on through out my life, "I" still don't believe it. lol </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
UUHHH Ron, I am not sure how my name got pulled in here along with a statement about you being called an idiot, but it's sure not anything I said!

If Dish has been charging all of their RV customers this fee I simply have never heard about it. If it is a real charge that every RVer is paying then every RVer needs to be on the phone with Dish Network requesting "an adjustment" or notifying them of their change to DirecTV. This might be the stupidest charge I have ever heard of!
Old 06-14-2008, 05:18 PM   #28

""Do you have a billing statement that shows these charges or is this just something that some idiot told you on the phone?"" This is where the "idiot" word came from. I "mis remembered" the exact quote I guess. I also left the lol off the end of my attempt at a little humor. Sorry! I did hear some politician say "mis remembered" one time though, so it must be a real word, huh? lol

As far as the $5.00 for no phone is concerned they have had that for many years. It really has nothing at all to do with RVs in particular. It's just no phone period. They are pretty good at working around it if there is a problem. When I talked to the ceo@ last time they really seemed to have no particular knowledge re RVs and gave in in spite of their confusion. I didn't throw any crap at them or stupid threats, like moving to DTV, just explained the lack of logic in the charge when RVs are concerned and that the RV group had made some exception ruling just for RVs in the past. If I remember correctly, the RV group had this RV stuff down pat. I'm not sure why they disbanded it but probably did not have enough phone traffic. I don't know if the phone number ever got around extensively like it needed to. This forum is pretty decent but some, mostly one, that I frequent has an unbelievable amount of really less than intelligent comments and the sat newbies can't tell the difference. I PROMISE that next time I will have plenty of lols so you will know I'm trying to be humorous and not attacking you. lol
I really don't think Dish or Direc care what we think is stupid re their business practices, they just sit around and count their money, I'm sure. There still isn't a nickels difference between them IMNSHO.

Ron

2004 Mt Aire 4301
ronharp is offline   Reply With Quote