Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-15-2013, 12:55 PM   #1

SD Driver's License - how long do I have?

I have the mail forwarding set up in SD and I just sent papers for my vehicle registration. I understand can take 4-5 weeks before I have them in hand.

House on the market soon...when it sells how long do I have before I have to show up in SD and get my driver's license?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-15-2013, 03:42 PM   #2
Community Moderator

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Here is everything you need to know about SD Drivers License requirements: Drivers Licenses in South Dakota - mail forwarding - Americas-Mailbox. If you didn't select Americas Mailbox as your SD mail Forwarding agency, you should have! They did my vehicle registration for me and it was painless. If there is no lien holder (you have clear title) then registration only takes a few days after they receive the papers from you.

Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2012 Honda CRV on Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar. Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 06:08 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
When we sold our home in California and began full timing last year, we were told by the folks at America's Mailbox that there was no hurry to get our driver's licenses - to just do it when we traveled through South Dakota. We ended up flying to Sioux Falls a few months later to get our licenses though, because our California licenses were about to expire and of course that would not be good.
www.LowesTravels.com
sdlowe11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 07:36 AM   #4

That's the service we picked and they've been wonderful.
Old 04-16-2013, 07:38 AM   #5

I was just concerned when we take off ful-time with our SD plates but driver's license from our current state...what happens if there is a traffic stop or accident and we don't have both from SD?
Old 04-16-2013, 09:53 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by cozycamper View Post
I was just concerned when we take off ful-time with our SD plates but driver's license from our current state...what happens if there is a traffic stop or accident and we don't have both from SD?
"Who can get a South Dakota driver license?

Anyone who operates a motor vehicle or motor-driven cycle on public roadways in South Dakota is required to have a driver license. You are required to have a South Dakota driver license if you live here for more than 90 days."

South Dakota Department of Public Safety: Licensing: Driver Licensing

I would think that after 90 days of establishing your residency, you'd best be having a SD drivers liscense.

If you are within the 90 days and you have a problem, you can rightly state that you aren't required to have a SD license for 90 days.
Old 04-16-2013, 10:15 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Not to steal this thread, but if you have a SD license which is good for 5 years from issue date. Do you have to go back to SD to get a renewal or do they renew your SD license if you have no citations ?
Old 04-16-2013, 10:19 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by okie-dokie View Post
Not to steal this thread, but if you have a SD license which is good for 5 years from issue date. Do you have to go back to SD to get a renewal or do they renew your SD license if you have no citations ?
Well, unless you can mail in your eyeballs..."The license is valid for 5 years. To renew an Operator's License, you must pass the vision test."
Old 06-28-2013, 03:21 PM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
We've used Americas Mailbox, since September 2012, and have been very happy with their service and would recommend them. When we retired we drove out to Box Elder and spent 10 days in their campground touring the area. A.M. only needed two days to get our vehicles registered, could have been one day but the runner had left already on the day we dropped off our paper work.
Drivers license was very easy and friendly too. Not at all like the DMV in PA.
Americas Mailbox all the way.
Old 06-30-2013, 12:27 PM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubwheat View Post
Well, unless you can mail in your eyeballs..."The license is valid for 5 years. To renew an Operator's License, you must pass the vision test."
That has changed or is in the process of changing. A few months ago they passed legislation allowing renewal very other time by mail. It is supposed to take effect this summer.I don't know about on-line renewal though.
Old 06-30-2013, 12:54 PM   #11
RVM2

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubwheat
Texas has online renewal - and I had read the SD change as well. No need to pluck your eyes out. If you're full time with Escapees or out of SD - both locations are ideal. Little winter getaway in south Texas or summer visit in SD. Just time it right from the beginning. Now that's

Plano, Tx (FullTime ETA Nov 1st 2014)
flaggship1 is online now   Reply With Quote