Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-14-2015, 01:11 PM   #1

Seriously Thinking of Full Timing

Ok, like the title says, my wife and I are seriously considering full timing, more out of necessity than anything. I had to retire early (disability), and my wife retired to get away from a toxic boss. Now, here is my dilemma.... We have managed to keep things going for a year and a half, but with the payments we have we are probably going to have to downsize a bit. We also are not in a position to replace our fiver or truck (financially). Our fiver is a 2006 Dutchmen 24B and it is not a full time unit, although I did live in it for the better part of 2 years when I was working out of town (by myself). My question is how well would a person suspect this fiver to stand up to full time living? I don't plan on constant moving, just maybe once a month or two. Any advice?
Tom
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-14-2015, 01:30 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Hope you are handy with tools. If not things could get real expensive real fast. You will find you won't need employment to stay busy. You will have plenty to do repairing normal wear and tear of the two of you living in a unit that really isn't designed for fulltime occupancy. Not saying it can't be done but I strongly urge you to have an "exit plan" before you move in.
MaverickBBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 02:09 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to Dan Wong Send a message via Yahoo to Dan Wong
one mans opinion

F.W.I.W.
This is my own experience; For many years, I dream of full-time RVing. Finally, it happened, I retired with disability. I brought an older Class C. All fixed up trying to live a lift style I had dreamed about.

I found out, only two years into RVing (not even full time), all the romantic notion about RVing is gone. No way can An RV substitute the comfort of home. (my disability probably had lot to do with it), I probably should have retired earlier. secondly, I found cost of travel not as cheap as I thought (I am a frugal person). Gas price last two years was much higher than today.

I see from your writing RVing is not new to you, I am not qualify to offer you any advice, I only wanted to share my own experience - hopefully it may be helpful. (I also wanted practice my English writing skill so I don't become total illiterate, Glad I join IRV2 forum it provided me opportunity to practice my English)

I am glad I didn't sell everything before I plunged into full-time RVing - just not for me.
Dan Wong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 02:36 PM   #4

Dan - It's not for everyone, but at least you tried it. We plan to do it next year and are excited. We have been RVing for over 20yrs now, weekends and vacations. We have figured all of cost for this and will be purchasing a new RV. Good luck....
Flanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 03:45 PM   #5

It's not just how well the unit will stand up. You will be changing virtually everything in your life in terms of what you have and where you are. Can you deal with living that life with your disability? Do you have any reason to stay where you are? Would relocating solve some of your problems or create more? Would going on the road for a year to look for a better place make sense? A lot of questions, no answers because only you can decide.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 06:19 PM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
People fulltime in everything from old VW vans to 2.5 M Prevosts. And the nice thing s outfall timing is you can follow the sun, so it doesn't need to be all season. IOW - Get going! 😀

Barb
Blog
Barbaraok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 08:10 PM   #7

Thanks, everyone for the advice! MaverickBBD, You could say I am handy with tools. I do all my own mechanical work (except rebuilding my auto tranny) from a head gasket on my truck to just about anything else.
What we are planning is to keep enough furniture, etc. to be able to furnish a small house (in storage) in case things don't work out. I have lived in the trailer by myself for almost two years straight working, but my wife hasn't. We have kids and grandkids in the area, so we would be coming back probably every summer plus the holidays. I have an idea for the holidays, but don't know for certain, yet. Many years ago I used to drive big trucks and was gone anywhere from 2 1/2 to 7 1/2 weeks at a time and only be home for about three days in between. I am sure I could handle it, but the wife..... time will tell, but I am somewhat apprehensive as to how well my trailer will take it.
Far as my disability, it is Meneir's disease so the climate doesn't affect me much unless I get a big wet snowflake in my ear. Then it goes nuts........
Old 01-18-2015, 09:08 AM   #8

Without knowing where you are financially, it would be difficult to advise .....
What we did was sell everything we own ... with the exception of 1 car. Paid off everything ... and luckily had enough to pick up a used MH. Size does matter here if you're going full time .... Storage ??? we evaluated what we mite store as compared to the cost of storage and found what we had could be replaced for what we'd pay in storage ..... ended up selling it all .........
As stated prior ... not in position to advise ... but happy to share our experience ...
We hang in one area for 2-3 months at a time .. in areas where we have family ... with good budgeting, one can get by on a rather limited income ........

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
hal1phx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 09:16 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
I love the comment that RVing is a "hobby in a hobby." The reference is to being handy and liking to tinker and fix things. For us, however, it's a "hobby in a hobby in a hobby." Traveling by MH allows us to get to places we might have never gone to otherwise ... and while there explore local history and culture and geography. Sometimes on foot, sometimes on water, sometimes by Jeep. Not knowing what the next adventure will be is a big part of the attraction to us.

We retire this summer and will be fulltime by Fall.

\ken
Ken, Deb, & Gadget (WIT Club, FMCA, SKP, and grateful volunteers with Habitat for Humanity and SOWERs), traveling in a well-behaved 2005 Winnebago Vectra 40FD w/1100w solar, some gee-golly-whizbang, and a TRAILERED 2015 Cherokee TrailHawk toad.
Bumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 09:46 AM   #10

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
If it were me, I think size of the RV would be secondary to, can I live the Full Time lifestyle financially for years to come. Do you own a home? If selling it now, will you be on the plus side. What is the market like in MN.?

Some full timers might say living on $5,000 a month is going to be pushing it. While others might be thinking $1500 a month would be very do-able.

Was up in Alaska 2013 and was talking to full time couple living in a very small egg-shell RV towing it with a Honda Ridgeline. Another couple while in a WV. State Park were full timing in a eggshell 18' 5er and very happy.

My cousin and husband lost everything in the recession and started full timing a few years ago work camping around the country. Some jobs they really didn't like, others paid very well. This past summer they both worked at a campground near Philly. Both loved it and were asked to come back this year. Must be making enough to afford a new Ram diesel and new high end 5er. They might work a season somewhere and take a month off to travel to their next job. He was in construction and she was in office support stuff.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 09:57 AM   #11

While my wife and I are not broke, it takes almost all of our limited income to keep the bills paid. When I wound up retiring my income got cut by about 2/3. We talked about things a bunch and still don't know what we should do. There is a possibility that we may sell our house and one car then maybe rent a small place (wife kind of wants a S&B home). Fortunately we do not need to get in a big hurry for this decision.
Old 01-18-2015, 03:31 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Your last post says it all...."Happy life, happy wife." Better look for something S&B you can afford.
Tetonchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 03:45 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MnTom View Post
Ok, like the title says, my wife and I are seriously considering full timing, more out of necessity than anything. I had to retire early (disability), and my wife retired to get away from a toxic boss. Now, here is my dilemma.... We have managed to keep things going for a year and a half, but with the payments we have we are probably going to have to downsize a bit. We also are not in a position to replace our fiver or truck (financially). Our fiver is a 2006 Dutchmen 24B and it is not a full time unit, although I did live in it for the better part of 2 years when I was working out of town (by myself). My question is how well would a person suspect this fiver to stand up to full time living? I don't plan on constant moving, just maybe once a month or two. Any advice?
Tom
Lots of what if that should be addressed.

A lot of the answer is in your hands. What do you expect? Do you expect to live in high end resorts or down to earth parks? How tough are you on your unit. Do you take your shoes off when entering to keep the rugs clean or just walk in and replace the rugs on a regular basis? Hopefully you get the idea. If you take care of stuff you dont have to replace it as often.

As pointed out in previous posts you can have your future in your hands by the way you approach the issues you are having. If you have lemons make lemon aide.
Old 01-18-2015, 05:55 PM   #14

You already no what's it's like living in the 5er, now you would have to consider living in one with a disability. Bathrooms ate small if you can't move around easily, and the steps getting into the 5er, and then more steps either to the living room or bedroom can be a real bear at times.

Like what has been said earlier, it ain't cheap fulltiming. Especially if your rig is old. If it's in good shape, and your handy it might work. Fuel prices are low right now, but don't count on that forever.
RVM #104
Dasmoeturhead is offline   Reply With Quote