RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-08-2019, 11:13 AM   #1

Short Term Full Time Through Winter *and cat

My wife and I are are looking to build a house and will be selling our current home leaving us 6-9 months where we would like to just live it out in our 2017 Thor Four Winds 30D.
We live in Northern Utah and would expect an average of 20 for the low and 30s for the high but certainly can and does dip as low as 0 at times. So I'm concerned about making it through the Winter if the building goes that long. Considering it would be full-time would the furnace, water heater, and stock holding tank heaters be enough to keep us non-frozen and working? Maybe a skirt as well?
Or would we be fighting a lost battle and end up with broken pipes and a lot of repairs to make?

Side note: anybody ever had a cat in their RV? What's that like?

dped is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-08-2019, 11:21 AM   #2

I'm not sure I'd try that with those temps exposed to the elements. If the high is 30, you'd have to keep continual heat on pretty much every pipe 24/7 to avoid freezing. My bet is that you'd have to have quite a large propane supply to make it through a month let alone a winter.

As for cats, we see them all the time in parks.

Old 07-08-2019, 11:38 AM   #3

A skirt will help you a whole lot. They do hold some heat even though they aren't air tight. Keeping the inside warm will help prevent freezing lines. Get a heated hose for your main water supply. You can buy a mass produced one, or just get some heat tracing and insulation at your local big box store to DIY.

I've stayed in temps down to the high 20's overnight, but never when it stays below freezing for days at a time. It certainly can be done, but it depends on where your water lines are run. Are they exposed, or inside the walls?
Itchytoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 04:35 PM   #4

I'm guessing "lost battle" and the ensuing damage.

Litter boxes work well, either in motorhomes and/or sticks/bricks.

More expensive overall than an alarm clock in the morning, but you don't have to wind them.
Winterbagoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 01:14 AM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
Iíve done it in similar weather. A constant battle. My advice is rent, unless you just want the adventure of it all.
Kodiakan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 09:42 PM   #6

Are you going to build a pole barn or shed to park your RV in? Might be a option to consider.

We full time with a cat and travel days are tough on her, other wise she does fine when parked and has a good life.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170723_174641.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	257.5 KB
ID:	252874  
grindstone01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 11:20 PM   #7

We stayed in snow everyday for 2 weeks....day time high in 30's/night time in single digits

We stayed in snow/ice for 10 days...day time in single digits/night time as low as -19*F

Ran off fresh water tank and pump
Filled/topped off tank every chance in day time.....even resorting to using 5 gal bottles

Biggest issue....PROPANE
LOTS of PROPANE
we had Two 30# propane cylinders.....had to go get one refilled every other day
Furnace ran almost all the time PLUS we used TWO 1500W space heaters, lap blankets and heavy blankets on bed

We got 'caught' unexpectedly with both storms and decided to stay put and tough it out

For a 'winter' stay...........nope would NOT do it in an RV

And I grew up in WY ranch & working oil rigs. NOPE!!
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 09:55 AM   #8

Full timed in Michigan for 5 years with no issues. It can be done but takes some planning.

Get propane delivered to a 300 gallon tank. Oil filled heaters to keep the chill off. Insulated skirting, heat tape on the pipes all doable.

In a pole barn would be good or one of them large RV shelters but you wouldn't have any views.

Our coldest was 4 days of -40 windchill and it was cool inside but bearable

mikell is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cat, full time, winter