Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-06-2018, 09:00 PM   #15

You don't need a big fifth wheel to full time in. Start out with a used travel trailer for $10k and try it out for size. You can always upgrade or change as you see how things go. We camp hosted with another full time couple that had a 22' travel trailer and a 1/2 ton 8 year old truck and they were dong fine with their set up.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-07-2018, 09:03 PM   #16

No you shouldn't.

Yes there is.
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 05:44 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by marjoa View Post
No you shouldn't.

Yes there is.
Such as?????
jmartin104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 09:57 AM   #18

Forest River Owners Club
I disagree that used RV’s are “maintenance hungry”....

We bought our 2008 Berkshire used and have had it for 7.5 yrs... I haven’t found the necessary maintenance to be out of the ordinary.... plus - a good extended warranty (we have CoachNet and love it) helps remove most of the worries of “out of the norm” maintenance.....

We are now full-timing and will eventually find that “perfect” place when we stop.....
ernest917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 10:35 AM   #19

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I envy you and can't wait to know what you decide

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmartin104 View Post
My wife and I (early 50's) are planning to sell our house in Central FL next March/April. Since we don't know where we want to live, we got the idea to get an RV and try out a few states (NC, SC, TN for starters). We figured we could live in each state for about 6 months to get a feel for if we like it or not. If we don't, we can move on to the next state.

This idea appealed to us more than trying to rent a furnished apartment for 6 months at a time:
  • Though it depreciates, at least some equity could be built up in an RV
  • 6 month, furnished apt leases are hard to find and expensive
  • We would at least have the option to move the RV if we don't like the particular area
  • We plan to keep the RV for family outings once in a permanent house

We don't know what we don't know so we are reading and reading and seeking input.

Money is an issue and I still work but can do so from anywhere with internet access. We have never lived in an RV but both of us are home all day so cabin fever hasn't really hit us. Thoughts?

What would you do with all your stuff?
I'm going to follow your thread to find out more
Bounder28T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 11:43 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bounder28T View Post
What would you do with all your stuff?
I'm going to follow your thread to find out more
We plan to sell most of the stuff that has no sentimental value or would cost more to replace than to store. Anything left will go into storage. Bonus: it's a perfect time to get rid of 30+ years of crap we have collected.
jmartin104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 11:49 AM   #21

No one can tell you what to do but here's our experience:

We sold our house at the end of 2016 and got a 12 mo lease on an apartment. We planned to full time but life happened and we weren't ready. It only took 2 months and we were ready to get out of there.

A year later, exactly 1 year ago today, we took delivery of our new Bay Star and have been full time ever since. We weren't winners in housing roulette so we had very little cash on hand. We financed the motorhome. Will we lose money, sure. Been there done that. Life is short and you can't take it with you.

Now, we pay about the same in MH payment, CG fees and gas as we did for our apartment every month, sometimes hundreds less if we boondock or stay in Thousand Trails parks with out membership.

We look at it this way. When you rent, you get nothing back...nothing! Yeah, you'll lose money on your RV but you'll get something back when you sell it.

We made the transistion from 2400 SF house to apartment to 32 foot MH in a year but could have easily done it all at once. We sold most of our furniture because it wouldn't fit in our apartment and then sold all the new, but inexpensive, furniture we bought to furnish the apartment. One step would have been easier and cheaper.

As for internet, it cam be had in many different ways. It might cost more than you're used too but if it's for work, it's probably deductible...at least in part. Our best speeds ever where at South Joshua Tree, thirty miles from Palm Springs. 40+ down and 35 up.

To save money on camping you can boondock or look into Thousand Trails. We don't look at RV parks as a destination but a place to sleep while we enjoy the area. You're not buying the space so if it's not perfect, you're going to move in a few days/weeks anyway. You've got wheels.

As for a back up plan, why? I've said it before and I'll say it again. Did you have a back up plan when you got married, started your career, bought a house, had kids or got pets? Probably not. You knew what you wanted or life happened and you just did it. Why do you need a back up plan for full timing. You've got a home and you can find places to park it. Even if you get sick or lose a job, it's not different than a sticks and bricks...except you can move your house to where you need it for care, a new job, whatever.

Again, life is short. Why waste time being timid and fearful. If you want to full time, do it. Jump in and live. And you're already residents of FL. Domicile there, get a mail forwarding service and you're ready to go. One step down already.
Old 12-09-2018, 07:16 AM   #22

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
After 30 years we do collect a lot of stuff, I can relate to that. You have a new vs. used inquiry. I would not buy new, I would take my time and find a real nice pre-owned coach, private seller. You said money was an issue, so be smart with your money.
Old 12-09-2018, 07:29 AM   #23

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I still envy you

Good plan, most folks do just that. Storage is an expense unless you have family to help. If you don't mind me asking: will you pay cash for your motorhome/TT/5er? Justification: I would want the lowest monthly overhead I could achieve, and zero long term debt would be my priority.
Old 12-09-2018, 08:38 AM   #24

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Bank/invest as much money as you can on the sale of your home, for all the obvious reasons.
Operating any type of RV has expense, some considerations are as follows:
Up keep (not the same as repairs)
Repairs
Campground fees
Travel cost/fuel/tires etc.
Living cost/propane/groceries/restaurants/Laundry etc.
Insurances/permits/other fees i.e. roadside services
Registration/taxes

From what I have read and based on conversation: some folks do it for less than 2000 a month some folks need a lot more than 2000 a month. It's not an inexpensive lifestyle, more affordable for some! yes, but not without overhead.

You stated you plan to keep your RV for future family adventures, that will be money well spent but have no cash return, just tons of incredible memories.

If you do this: spend wisely, invest wisely, crunch numbers and compare them to what you are doing now to what you want to get into. The bottom line is this "happiness", if you are successful at that it's a win.
Old 12-09-2018, 03:25 PM   #25

We are full-timers from central florida and we sold our home 3 years ago. We are in a 2000 36' National Tropical. We have found that an older higher quality RV is better than a newer cheaper one. There are always going to be things that break or wear out just like in a stationary house. Every month has been less than $2000.00 for us. Health insurance in Florida is extremely expensive since there is no competition for BCBS. We are looking into other states that have a competitive market outside of the ACA.
Old 12-09-2018, 05:04 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmartin104 View Post
My wife and I (early 50's) are planning to sell our house in Central FL next March/April. Since we don't know where we want to live, we got the idea to get an RV and try out a few states (NC, SC, TN for starters). We figured we could live in each state for about 6 months to get a feel for if we like it or not. If we don't, we can move on to the next state.

This idea appealed to us more than trying to rent a furnished apartment for 6 months at a time:
  • Though it depreciates, at least some equity could be built up in an RV
  • 6 month, furnished apt leases are hard to find and expensive
  • We would at least have the option to move the RV if we don't like the particular area
  • We plan to keep the RV for family outings once in a permanent house

We don't know what we don't know so we are reading and reading and seeking input.

Money is an issue and I still work but can do so from anywhere with internet access. We have never lived in an RV but both of us are home all day so cabin fever hasn't really hit us. Thoughts?
I'm your age doing exactly what you plan (except the working part). I'd buy a USED RV that meets your needs. We bought a 5th wheel that was two years old and got an excellent deal privately so were not "all in" on the rig and not getting killed by depreciation if we change our mind. That has worked excellent for us to date. We have very few issues with our rig. We also thought it would nearly impossible to find rentals on that timeline when we needed them.

We are considering buying a home in central Florida. Shoot me a PM with what you may be selling, it's possible we may be interested.
Old 12-10-2018, 06:51 AM   #27

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredV View Post
We are full-timers from central florida and we sold our home 3 years ago. We are in a 2000 36' National Tropical. We have found that an older higher quality RV is better than a newer cheaper one. There are always going to be things that break or wear out just like in a stationary house. Every month has been less than $2000.00 for us. Health insurance in Florida is extremely expensive since there is no competition for BCBS. We are looking into other states that have a competitive market outside of the ACA.
Fred & Carla, check out South Dakota or Texas as your state of residence while full timing. I would choose South Dakota and I believe it's the most popular among full timers. longest license renewal, low insurance, a and low to no taxes.