Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-17-2017, 07:08 PM   #1

Sky high home prices...how do you fulltimers deal with the ever rising home prices?

I overheard a conversation between 3 full timers one of whom was thinking about buying a condo in Denver where prices have gone through the roof. Here in the Twin Cities (MN) homes are selling in a week, often for more than asking price. I looked at the Villages in FLA...a modest home is nearly 200K. (Maybe downsize into a mobile home?)
TJFogelberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-17-2017, 08:57 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
By definition, a full-timer lives in their RV all the time. If they decide to give up the RV life, they face the same challenge any home buyer faces. I see nothing unique in the person moving from an RV to a homeowner.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 09:12 PM   #3

Outdoors RV Owners Club
My home is bought and paid for, but it does need new tires now and then.

I just paid the taxes on my home for the next year: $47.

When I've had enough of this area, or they've had enough of me, my home and I will just go somewhere else.

I live full time in my RV. That doesn't mean 40 hours/week, that means 365 days/year. I should have done this a long time ago.
Old 07-18-2017, 04:19 AM   #4

Sky high prices, wow time to sell!
markandkim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 05:29 AM   #5

Not knocking the life style...but this is an issue worth consideration. California is the most extreme case...

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/17/u...=0&nytmobile=0
Old 07-18-2017, 08:53 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJFogelberg View Post
Not knocking the life style...but this is an issue worth consideration. California is the most extreme case...

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/17/u...=0&nytmobile=0

Yes it is, which is why we are selling one property and will sell the last one in CA within the next 3 years. With the proceeds, we can live in our 5er quite comfortably and have cash available to buy another sticks and bricks somewhere else if and when the time comes. In the meantime, we're enjoying the lifestyle and loving life.
Old 07-18-2017, 12:42 PM   #7

I would say that most folks that sell their house and go full-timing, stash the money from the sale of their house away for emergency or future purposes. That would be the wise thing to do anyway.

If one is finished with full-timing there are many less costly ways and less costly places to settle down.
twogypsies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 12:55 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
I would say that most folks that sell their house and go full-timing, stash the money from the sale of their house away for emergency or future purposes. That would be the wise thing to do anyway.

If one is finished with full-timing there are many less costly ways and less costly places to settle down.

YEP.......
Sell high/buy low

Sold our S&B in 2007 ---high prices
Went FT with an 'exit' plan but hoped to NOT exercise it
Life changes/curve ball and had to come off road
Just so happened....real estate was bottomed out and just starting recovery. Bought another S&B at rock bottom pricing

We looked into:
Buying RV lot....parking 5vr and living in it
Buying land....parking 5vr and living in it
Buying condo
Buying S&B

RV lot...high priced for continued living in 280 Sq ft
Land...too many restrictions, zoning issues etc to continue living in 280 Sg Ft.
Condo.....did that ONCE---hated living in 'community'
S&B.....small house with FHU RV site and garage---WON because of neighbors !!

IF can't be traveling weekly then no good reason to live in 280 Sg Ft rig
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 03:31 PM   #9

I understand the appeal of FTing...might even join the club one day. I guess my advice to newbies is to do your homework...don't assume you can "find a good deal" when you come off the road. We don't want to end up in a dump. Rrnys and home prices are on a tear unless you want to live in low demand areas. (we don't)
Old 07-18-2017, 05:24 PM   #10

Why not enjoy the best of both worlds. If you want to get around in a $250,000+++ brand new rig then sell the house and have nothing to fall back on.

Why not buy a 15 year old motorhome for $30,000 and keep the house and rent it out. Enjoy all or most of the facilities of a new coach without spending a fortune and have a steady rental income from your house, AND if your world tips upside down for any one of a dozen reasons, you have something to come back to.
Old 07-18-2017, 10:29 PM   #11

Alpine Owners Club
We sold our 3500 sq ft home in 2005. Never looked back. Why would I want to keep something that isn't where I want to spend my last years and that takes a younger person to maintain. A couple of years ago we purchased a used Park Model in Mesa, AZ for a little over $10K. We spend our winters there, enjoy it and come spring, when we get itching to explore again, we shut off water & power, cover the windows, empty frig, etc., and off we go. We have someone who stops by and checks on it each month, and a couple of days before we return, they turn on the power and water, check for any leaks with water coming back on, set up the patio, etc. so it is ready for us to move into for the winter. Best of both worlds, with a size that is easy for us to maintain.
Blog
Barbaraok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 04:22 AM   #12

Maintain a house, no way!
markandkim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 06:06 AM   #13

It seems like the answer is to buy a rig then sell the S&B and invest the money. If living in a high cost area make part of one's travels a search for a lower cost and possibly more comfortable place to live. When one goes off road the money is there for a new place that will probably be bigger than the RV but smaller and easier to maintain than the old S&B. Folks will go off road if they live long enough. Health issues are probably the biggest reason folks go back to a S&B.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 09:10 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJFogelberg View Post
I looked at the Villages in FLA...a modest home is nearly 200K. (Maybe downsize into a mobile home?)
Keep looking. That's one perk of full timing -- you can compare homes on a nationwide scale.

Plus, your idea of a "modest" home and mine are probably a lot different. For example, a 1000 sq ft home looks mighty massive to us.
TechWriter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fulltime