Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-19-2017, 09:59 AM   #15

The many assumptions and presumptions I see in this thread simply points out the fact that there are so many varied reasons why people "full time", indeed, there are many questions about what the term "full time" really means that any conversation that tries to make broad brush points is going to be problematic.

We will be full timing soon . . . probably in an expensive (to us and many) 2-4 year old DP. We are going to sell the house we NEVER intended to be our retirement home but we darn sure aren't going to use the proceeds to buy the DP. To us it WILL be an investment, an investment in the quality of our lives! We will then hit the road, roaming the country, and MAYBE find a place we would like to ultimately settle down in. One nice thing is that with the coach we will be able to "test drive" the area for quite some time

We put ourselves in a position to being able to do this by working for EIGHY EIGHT years between us; saving, investing and not just blowing our cash while still not depriving ourselves of enjoying our lives. Our space needs are low, heck we rattle around our current place as it is, but our QUALITY needs are high . . . like that first cup of joe in the morning under the awning with a nountain or seashore backdrop. Y'all do what's right for you making sure to live life . . . you can't "bank" time.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-20-2017, 02:06 PM   #16

Point of post (like many other posts here) is to exchange ideas and hear other rv'ers stories. Everyone's situation is a bit different... but similar themes seem to be emerging...

Downsizing=less maintenance.
Relocation could mean going from a higher cost area to a lower cost area.
Fulltiming=freedom from S+B responsibilities. Freedom to move around and explore.
TJFogelberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 02:41 PM   #17

Remember in 2007 news was reporting if you didn't get in now you might not be able to later? Prices will fall again, they always do. We are in a Rv park in the SF Bay Area that almost always has space available for $40 per night. The weather is good but the key is always in the ignition for when we're ready for a change.
Just the homeowners taxes here would keep me from buying.
Old 07-20-2017, 02:57 PM   #18

I wonder how many people really think about how they are going to live when they go off road. Not afford it but how they structure it. A lot of big cities have a lot to offer for able,agile, younger folks with the high costs to go with them. Most of the folks older than my 72 years that are going off the road are also not fighting crowds to get into an arena for the latest band or spending hours walking though a large museum. The are more likely at home or playing golf at a slower pace and keeping an eye on good medical care easily available. Good Internet these days lets folks stay in touch. All that can add up to a much lower cost community. Look at any community with a medical school and you will find a lot of what you really want. There are other ways to look but the point is to look and avoid all the extra stuff you can't or won't use.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 07:13 PM   #19

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
I wonder how many people really think about how they are going to live when they go off road. Not afford it but how they structure it. A lot of big cities have a lot to offer for able,agile, younger folks with the high costs to go with them. Most of the folks older than my 72 years that are going off the road are also not fighting crowds to get into an arena for the latest band or spending hours walking though a large museum. The are more likely at home or playing golf at a slower pace and keeping an eye on good medical care easily available. Good Internet these days lets folks stay in touch. All that can add up to a much lower cost community. Look at any community with a medical school and you will find a lot of what you really want. There are other ways to look but the point is to look and avoid all the extra stuff you can't or won't use.
That's one of the reason that we got a Park Model in Mesa, AZ. so that when the times comes to hang up the keys, we have somewhere already set up. Plus I love 'stretching out' in the winter. Easy to get around the area, businesses are welcoming to retirees, good medical care in the area, etc. Plus good cultural facilities all around to keep the mind active.
Blog
Barbaraok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 09:29 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJFogelberg View Post
Everyone's situation is a bit different... but similar themes seem to be emerging...

Downsizing=less maintenance.
"Different" but not necessarily "less".
TechWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 12:20 PM   #21

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
I understand the appeal of FTing...migyou ht even join the club one day. I guess my advice to newbies is to do your homework...don't assume you can "find a good deal" when you come off the road. We don't want to end up in a dump. Rrnys and home prices are on a tear unless you want to live in low demand areas. (we don't)
What point are you trying to make here
jarata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 03:24 PM   #22

When the music stops playing, make sure you have a place to sit down.
TJFogelberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 04:26 PM   #23

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
When the music stops playing, make sure you have a place to sit down.
That's an adult, common sense point of view. Sadly, some folks don't have it and then complain and moan when prices go up. My Dad built a home in the early 50's We moved into it when I was in kindergarten. The acre of land and the house had a $9,000 mortgage. We sold it and moved in 1966. Recently that house sold +$350,000. Prices go up. When I got my first car I was paying $.23 a gallon. Prices go up. Adults with common sense recognize and plan for price increases.

My daughter got a Master's degree then moved to Australia for 9 years. When she returned to the U.S., guess what, prices were higher than when she left in 2005. Whether you full time in an RV, rent or have a 'starter' home, prices go up when you look for a new place to live.

Nothing new here, move along.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 04:47 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bigmess View Post
My home is bought and paid for, but it does need new tires now and then.

I just paid the taxes on my home for the next year: $47.

When I've had enough of this area, or they've had enough of me, my home and I will just go somewhere else.

I live full time in my RV. That doesn't mean 40 hours/week, that means 365 days/year. I should have done this a long time ago.
I have Semi tags on my Trailer, one time fee and your done, never have to buy again. Check into it.
MorganT69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 09:28 PM   #25

I think everyone should sell their full timing RV and go back to the S&B as soon as possible before the houses get even more expensive! Who wants to be stuck in an RV traveling around the country meeting new people and paying top dollar for gas and diesel. Have to wonder who came up with this idea of full timing, must have been nuts

Daniel
Rvlegaleagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 06:45 AM   #26

Honestly not planning on buying a S&B again in my lifetime. If there comes a time I cannot travel the country in my MH I will end up in a park model somewhere. Those are still very reasonable in price.

Tags
fulltime