RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-16-2018, 11:19 AM   #15

If you take the 17 footer to Fl for two months, you'll get a good idea of what is important to you. The great think about FL is you can spend a lot of time outside. That can make it easier if one of you tends to get up earlier than the other. I'm the early riser and when we had the trailer, I could be quite quiet...just put on the coffee pot and sit with my computer to catch up with news, email, rv forums etc. Having the option to sit outside really helps. And, you'll also see how your rig does in terms of enough storage space for gear and stuff. In our case, I'm the one with more "toys" including my photo gear as well as computer, printer, etc.

But, the most important factor will be what the DW likes/dislikes after two months in a smaller trailer. I don't mean that negatively....just that you'll be at a point where you can discuss what space you need and what options you want to pursue. So...enjoy and take your time if you decide to get a new rig!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-16-2018, 04:23 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
Ö. or buy a bigger one while you're there.
The only thing stopping me is i'd need a bigger truck, cant afford to do both.

tnrver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 10:35 PM   #17
RVM 18

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
If you made it 14 days in your TT and didnít want a divorce I'd say give it a try. I've fulltimed in a 24í MH for 7.5 years and spend lots of time outdoors. I'm putting up a tent shed tomorrow so Iíll have a place to work on projects here in the AZ desert. I plan to be here until April.
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 07:29 PM   #18

As you can see you'll get as many different answers as there are people answering this question! LOL

We have been full timing in a 30' travel trailer for 17 months. We have 2 swivel rockers and a love seat in our "living room area', a small kitchen, a dinette, bathroom, and a bedroom with a door on it. It really has suited us just fine. It has what's called a king slide that contains the dinette and love seat. The slide is 3' x 11.5'. It adds quite a bit of openness to the travel trailer. We have a big window on the rear where our 2 swivel chairs are and 2 large windows in the slide. With the shades open it feels like we have a larger space than it really is. Our goal in buying this was to travel all around the USA, seeing sights for a few years. We don't plan on full timing forever or maybe we would have bought something bigger, who knows. But for us we didn't want to drag a monster of a 5th wheel or drive a huge class A all over the USA. That just didn't appeal to us. But that's us.

Everyone has to decide for themselves what size and type of unit fits them best.
Old 10-17-2018, 08:40 PM   #19

Weatherbase.com is another good site to study temps, highs and lows etc. Look for a park with a 24/7 clubhouse and you should be fine.
TJFogelberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 08:53 PM   #20

Too small is a perception, just like too big and just right. These terms vary with the person(s) and the situation.
In 2008 my wife and I spent 8 months in a dome tent touring Europe on our motorcycle.
In 2015 we took our US motorcycle and a Lees-ure Lite tent trailer for an 8 month trip around the USA.
We have over 400,000 miles on our motorcycles over 40 years, mostly camping with various tents and trailers.
You can read about our adventures at www.bobkatsjaunt.com.
In the spring of 2018 we sold the house and bought a Newmar Bay Star and are heading out with it in January for our next big adventure.
Each trip has had the "just right" size for the situation.
But we do have to admit that having "indoor plumbing" is a real treat with the Newmar.
Bobkat3080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 12:42 PM   #21

I went from a 40 foot 5th wheel to 20 foot TT Iive in it full time with my dog, itís easy to clean, everything it with in a few feet. Easier to tow and park
Mike54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 08:21 PM   #22
RVM 18

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
In Feb 2014 I had both my knees replaced during the same surgery. The great part about living in a small MH after surgery is that everything you need is within a few steps and there's plenty of places to hold onto for siupport.

Nine weeks after surgery I was back on the road, but I only drove about 150 miles per day.
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 06:49 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnrver View Post
Didn't really know where to post this question. We have 17' KZ TT & we're thinking of getting out of the Tennessee winter and going to Florida for 2 months this winter.

The longest stay we've spend in it was 14 days. That was in the summer and outdoor living was comfortable.

We're looking at campgrounds near Port Richey, which the "average" day time temp. is "supposedly" in the upper 60's, according to the Weather Channel.

So my question is what's the smallest RV you've stayed in for an extended period of time, say 2 months or more?

I had a friend that used to solo in a 9'6" truckcamper in Fla. from Jan 1-Apr 1 and he said he didn't mind it. But I want some opinions from "sane people"......LOL

Only You can answer that question.
Dasmoeturhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 07:08 AM   #24

Entegra Owners Club
Something to think about. I live close the area you are looking at . That time of year, we could have a tropical wave with a week of rain, or we could have a tropical heat wave with high temps and humidity, or a week of very cold weather. Either condition will take maybe a week inside. When looking at a 60 day residence for Fl those have to be taken into consideration. Or it could be one of those perfect years, you just never know.
2016 Colorado Z71 PU
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 09:20 AM   #25

We have met full timers living in a conversion van and couples living in Class C's. One gal was full timing in a 8' camper she made and was doing great!
Not everyone needs a 45 Class A to live in, it's all about what works for you. Try the TT for a season, you can always bail out if it's not working.

Life is all about the attitude you choose.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 03:34 PM   #26

I getting a 45 foot Class A and I'm wondering where I'm gonna put the wife and kids...
DKB218NYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 03:54 PM   #27

I've been full timing in a truck camper with my 70lb dog and we do alright. I'll admit, it's better in the summer when we spend a lot of time outdoors. I'm currently planning to upgrade to a 23-25' TT and looking forward to having more space to move around. It does get old having the dog constantly underfoot.

The size of camper that will make you happy is something you have to decide on your own.
dangerranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 05:05 PM   #28

I lived a whole summer in a 24 ft TT while I was building my house. Now 38 ft seems small. It all depends on you.