RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-14-2018, 03:54 PM   #1

Smallest RV for extended stay

Didn't really know where to post this question. We have 17' KZ TT & we're thinking of getting out of the Tennessee winter and going to Florida for 2 months this winter.

The longest stay we've spend in it was 14 days. That was in the summer and outdoor living was comfortable.

We're looking at campgrounds near Port Richey, which the "average" day time temp. is "supposedly" in the upper 60's, according to the Weather Channel.

So my question is what's the smallest RV you've stayed in for an extended period of time, say 2 months or more?

I had a friend that used to solo in a 9'6" truckcamper in Fla. from Jan 1-Apr 1 and he said he didn't mind it. But I want some opinions from "sane people"......LOL

tnrver is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-14-2018, 04:27 PM   #2

We've done 8 week trips in our 27' Winnebago Minnie which had a bathroom, main area with kitchen and dinette (later changed to a couch) and a bedroom area. Prior to that, we had a 28' Sunline trailer and that was better for extended stays. This year, we'll be doing a 8 week trip to FL in our "new to us" 34' MH. We really like the extra room.

But, to your original question, you have to determine what your comfort zone is. Some folks can do extended trips in a tear drop or pop up, and others insist on having a huge trailer, fifth wheel or MH. So, there isn't any definitive answer!

Old 10-14-2018, 05:01 PM   #3

Thanks scbwr, yeah I know its more of a personal thing but I was just wondering if anyone had an experience doing it in a unit as small as ours
Old 10-14-2018, 05:06 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
What works for you vs someone else of course varies. I've stayed by myself in 28' TT for about two weeks. Wife and I have stated together for a couple three weeks in 37' coach with two slides. We currently travel for several months at a time in a 40' coach with 4 slides. Would not want smaller fir extended trips. YMMV.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 07:04 PM   #5

Folks have full-timed year-round in tiny Casita trailers and truck campers. It just depends on YOU. If you stay in a park that has an active clubhouse then that could be a place for you when it rains …. or when it doesn't. If it was fine for you for 2 weeks I'll bet you'll do just fine but think of what you'd do on rainy days.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 07:15 PM   #6

We have a Conquest 18" TT. We did a week and a half trip earlier this year.
It's good for long weekends, but I wouldn't want to spend a lot of time in it!
Old 10-14-2018, 07:35 PM   #7

My wife gets claustrophobic in anything small, but even with that we managed several trips of 2 to 3 weeks in an 18 foot TT. She was okay with it on the sorts of trips where we would be out and about virtually the whole time sightseeing and exploring. While I make do with whatever space is available to me, the wife finds our current 36 foot fifth wheel a little tight if we’ll be spending much time in it. That said, she’s coming around albeit slowly.
Old 10-15-2018, 06:32 AM   #8

Winnebago Rialta. 22ft. The smallest class C motorhome available (yes it looks like a B class, but it’s not). Has everything that a motorhome has and is smartly and spacial designed inside.
Shnoby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 12:35 PM   #9

Outdoors RV Owners Club
It's been me and the German Shepherd in a nineteen foot travel trailer for about three years now. If you can get by in what you have is up to you. There is no right or wrong answer.
Old 10-15-2018, 06:58 PM   #10

Hey thank y'all for your input!! I guess the best way to find out is to do it. Worst case scenario, if it gets uncomfortable, i'll come home.
Old 10-16-2018, 12:23 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnrver View Post
Hey thank y'all for your input!! I guess the best way to find out is to do it. Worst case scenario, if it gets uncomfortable, i'll come home.
…. or buy a bigger one while you're there.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 01:58 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Perceptions are tricky things. “Too big” lasts for a few weeks. “Too small” lasts forever.
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 02:19 AM   #13

Foretravel Owners Club
My brother did 4 years in a 15' Aloha TT while attending Oregon State U.
Used empty cases of Bud as "skirting" .. and for heat/hot water had a 120 gal. propane tank set by a gas supplier..So yes it can be done..Just do your "due diligence" with cold/hot weather
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 06:38 AM   #14

Over the years we’ve gone from a 31’ to 35’ to 40’. We’ve done at least a month to six months at a time.For us, 35’ would be as small as we would want to go for more than a month. Like has been said, it’s a personal preference.

BillL is offline   Reply With Quote