Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-31-2013, 05:49 PM   #1

Post Soldier Seeking Full-Timer Input

Good morning! I've been looking around and doing some limited searches, but figured I'd create a thread in hopes of getting some answers to my unique questions. I redeploy in the near future and my temporary living arrangements fell through, requiring me to look for a place to stay in the near-term as well as long-term. That, coupled with a desire to start living lighter, has led me to the decision to buy a travel trailer. I know space is at a premium and weight reduction even more important--especially since I have only a half-ton pickup as a TV. Anyway, on to the questions:

Can anyone give me an idea of what to look for in a used trailer? Are there any common stress points or features (plumbing, appliances, electrical system) that tend to wear out? I will be looking at 1995-2006 21' to 26' travel trailers from a number of manufacturers. Do any of you warn against or recommend certain makes, models, or years?

I was a mechanic prior to joining the Army and have hauled my tools around for years. Most of them will be kept in storage, and a burglar liberated others which I may have found useful. I'll be putting together a small kit with basic wrenches, pliers, and screwdrivers, but are there any specific tools that may come in handy (hose clamp-off pliers, wheel bearing packers, grease guns)? I have my cordless set (fortunately left by the burglar, though he took all of my power and air tools) and need to replace some of my stolen hardware (hose clamps, bolts, nuts, etc). Is there anything that you would recommend as inexpendable in the average travel trailer? Should I look into buying some basic spare plumbing and electrical parts once I decide on a trailer?

Going hand-in-hand with the above, does anyone carry an air compressor with them? Mine, along with my generator, were stolen in the burglary and I'd like to replace both with something I can haul/store in the trailer. The compressor would ideally be able to drive my 1/2 impact (the only air tool left by the burglar) and be used to adjust air pressure from time to time.

I know my gun safe will not work with the full-timer lifestyle, so it too will be staying in storage. For the gun owners out there, how do you secure or hide your firearms (taking into consideration that few want to disclose their secrets, please feel free to PM me or ignore this question)? I'll likely keep a shotgun and one or two pistols with me and want to ensure they are as secure as a thin-walled trailer will allow.

Pet owners: any advice on keeping a full-grown lab happy in a small trailer? Mine can be lazy and seems content hanging out in the house, but he can also be destructive as all get out. Any ideas on "dog-proofing" a travel trailer to minimize collateral damage? I noticed a few recommendations for travel fences in the pet forum and will likely buy one.

There are countless other questions I have, many of which will be answered as I explore the forums and other sites, and some of which will only be answered after I find my future home and learn about its particular nuances. Any answers, advice, or other information provided are much appreciated!
fm2176 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-01-2013, 07:35 AM   #2

FM.... in the tool bar of the section you will find FILES....inside that section of this forum is a USED MH BUYERS CHECKLIST. Have a look at that. It is kind of the bible that I go by as I check off all systems when I inspect an RV for purchase. I always bring my little giant ladder and I hop up on the roof first. If the roof can not pass my inspection or is deemed not salvageable....I walk away right there. I too did exactly what you are thinking during my time in the military. Had my gear stored in a trailer....towed it to the MP long term POV lockup at FT Bragg on my long deployments. I covered and tarped my TV and trailer.....everything up on wood....did my best ANTI Rodent protection (dryer sheets)....had RV tire covers for all wheels even TV....and always came home to a nice place. I had a 27 ft 1974 trailer.....the layout sucked but it was home....and I paid month to month for my space at the Fayetteville RV park when I was in garrison.....so that a deployment did not leave me committed to paying a long term stay and opening my trailer to theft (which as you know is high around any base). The MP lockup was free.....and I felt relatively safe leaving my equipment there. I did suffer a breakin and military insurance paid for the damage and recovery. PHOTO everything you own....store the digital copy on several USB sticks and leave one at the platoon before deployment.
Gocoffeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 07:42 AM   #3

Thanks for your sacrifice from one vet to another.
Have you given thought to storage while deployed?
The biggie for most folks when buying used is leaks. Has the trailer leaked before? Second is where will you be living? Kansas in dead winter would not be any fun. But then again Georgia can also get cold, but usually only lasts for a short time. Lack of insulation and small heaters are the two biggies.
Old 11-01-2013, 07:46 AM   #4

The dog will adapt to the trailer life better than yourself. I have many dogs now and travel lightly in my RV but they always come. I have regular visits to GOODWILL and buy nice heavy quilts (cheaply) I use these as covers for the furniture and such.

Gun storage in my MH.... no different than in my home or in my locker when I was a soldier. I had concealed handguns and a small shotgun. In the MH.... the hand guns sit in small zip up cases per my kind of storage.... the shotgun above the entrance door....in a custom rack. Ammo in regular storage drawer. Now for security when I am deployed..... If I was not taking my personal weapons on mission.....they went into Armory in my unit. We had provisions to check in and store personal weapons. If I got caught on an alert.....and my life was sent into over nite turmoil due to rapid deployment.... My 1ST SGT was my back up... at the time I was enlisted.... she was not allow in combat so she did mop up and helped guys like myself. She would tow everything to MP LOCK UP.

One last input... a product called CLOSET DRY....sold at many places but I bought it at LOWES and HomeDEpot... It is a calcium carbonate in a plastic tub and absorbs moisture. I learned about it while getting stationed in SouthComm. I used it in my trailer in places where I stored food and my clothes. Learn about it....love it ...live it. It will save you some very musty and stinky returns from deployment. I kept my frig basically empty....but when disconnected....the frig could get moldy if I left the door closed during storage. Closet Dry....will save you that issue. NOTE TO SELF.....do not spill the liquid found in the closet dry tub on anything in your trailer. It is a nasty salt.....and it is gooey. Do not dump it down your drain.... dump it out side.
Old 11-01-2013, 12:29 PM   #5

Thanks for the responses so far! I learned my lesson with the burglary; always considered myself more wary than most, but I let my guard down when I moved to GA. My house in LA is in a quiet neighborhood with an active community watch system (no need for signs there!), and the four years I spent in Northern VA were incident free. Fortunately, my home owner's insurance looks like it will cover my losses minus deductible. I will definitely be taking photos of everything but hadn't considered storing them on multiple drives. Also looked into RV insurance and will be contacting my insurance company to see what is covered if used as a primary or secondary home.

I'll have to check out Closet Dry. I went to Michael's and got a couple pounds of silica to keep moisture out of the safe since I had little time or money to shop around for better alternatives. Hopefully this is the last deployment for a while. My plan is to spend another year at Fort Stewart and then try to get back to The Old Guard. If I do deploy, or find myself in an area that is not travel trailer friendly (Arlington, VA may present some challenges in finding a suitable park close by), I'll be doing everything I can to prep the trailer for storage.

I hope to buy from a reputable dealer if financing is an option. If not, I'll probably pay cash in a private transaction. Regardless, I'm about to check out the files section and put the printer to work! Will also be sure to check for obvious signs of leakage inside and out.

Thank you all for your service! I'm still a relative up-and-comer in the Army and owe a lot to those NCOs and officers who helped me earlier in my career.
Old 11-01-2013, 12:44 PM   #6

FM...I think almost all of us will agree that a 5th wheel or tag along used trailer....and you can go up to a 30ft'er with your TV and most likely be very road stable (my current boss has a 31 footer behind his Dodge 1500 pickup truck). Go older and used to get a great deal.... if you hunt well and I assure you Stewart, Benning, Bragg, LaJune, all will have a big supply....check the credit unions on post for the repo and turn in sheet. I got mine from that source.
ON Post RV parks.... cheap source of stay but not long term.... they make you move your unit every 7 days. Was not bad for myself....I paid $7 per day to live on post...used my bicycle for local transpo.... had a motorcycle (still have it)...for my main ride. Bought and sold used cars as a hobby....so had a car every once in a while and would move off post if I was pressured by holiday RV traffic or big on post events.
Closet dry in gun area is a big plus too.... will keep your piece rust free.
Wish they used it in the Armory.... my piece would look nasty after 9 month of storage there.
Old 11-01-2013, 12:54 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gocoffeer View Post
FM...I think almost all of us will agree that a 5th wheel or tag along used trailer....and you can go up to a 30ft'er with your TV and most likely be very road stable (my current boss has a 31 footer behind his Dodge 1500 pickup truck). Go older and used to get a great deal.... if you hunt well and I assure you Stewart, Benning, Bragg, LaJune, all will have a big supply....check the credit unions on post for the repo and turn in sheet. I got mine from that source.
ON Post RV parks.... cheap source of stay but not long term.... they make you move your unit every 7 days. Was not bad for myself....I paid $7 per day to live on post...used my bicycle for local transpo.... had a motorcycle (still have it)...for my main ride. Bought and sold used cars as a hobby....so had a car every once in a while and would move off post if I was pressured by holiday RV traffic or big on post events.
Closet dry in gun area is a big plus too.... will keep your piece rust free.
Wish they used it in the Armory.... my piece would look nasty after 9 month of storage there.
Fortunately, Fort Stewart offers monthly rates. It's $500/month and there is no sewage (though there is a dump station), but I can ride a bike to work easily, and plan to buy a motorcycle in the next year or so. I've got a buddy checking the Lemon Lot and have been browsing Craigslist as a few other places.

I've yet to even register a firearm on post--I just keep mine well away from installations. Though the campground isn't in the cantonment area, I'll be sure to register whatever I keep with me. I've run two arms rooms and couldn't fathom keeping my firearms in one, but then again I've got a few dozen guns and a decent safe to secure them. My arms room in DC was in the basement and the four industrial-sized dehumidifiers would fill up 1 or 2 times a day! Not the most gun-friendly environment...
Old 11-01-2013, 01:08 PM   #8

We have similar paths...just different decades. Stewart is very nice. I have only passed thru and never was attached or TDY'd from there. If you do it right you can save some decent money and have a nice rig to toy around in or sell in the end. I have just about finished a solar project on mine. My passion is cycling and I place the bikes in the RV and use the RV like a big locker room. Nice to have an apartment like atmosphere to return to after a ride. Shower.... sip a brewski... watch some TV or listen to some tunes... go park at a Walmart lot and drive back for another ride the next day...then boogie on home.

If you could have been on campus when I was stationed at Bragg... it was that wonderful...Panama and Desert Storm period right back to back. Lots of TDY.... lots of off campus time. You took what free bees UncleSam was offering....the Armory was safe and I never got anything taken. Occasionally.... a nice armor might get interested in one of my pieces and pull it off the shelf and rod it for me... but you already know the horror of returning from an extended down time and finding those deployed goodies all rusty and nasty.....which made me most conscious of signing out my goodies and rubbing them down at least monthly.
Old 11-01-2013, 03:13 PM   #9

I can imagine the joy of returning to some filthy firearms. My career has kept me away from combat theaters for years, but many of my peers and even a few subordinates have deployed 4-5 times. I've been the stubborn guy--kept my apartment when we went to Kuwait for the invasion and packed light when I left my house to move to GA. Guns and tools were my priorities, and they are secured off-post.

If I go the bike route, I'll be looking for a decent bike in a few months as well--my $50 flea market Mongoose D40 is at the house. I really want to get an inexpensive motorcycle too and could see my bed taken up by a cruiser-style Honda and a mountain bike of some sort. Your reference to Walmart piqued my curiosity as I've seen a number of RVs at the Richmond Hill loaction. Sure enough, it looks like their parking lots are popular overnighter locations. I'll be exploring that possibility some in the next year, I'm sure, as I travel from GA to LA to VA!
Old 11-02-2013, 01:51 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Came across this video that tells the realities of full timing better than most. Might be a good idea to listen to it to verify things for yourself.
Old 11-02-2013, 01:02 PM   #11

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
There are many used RV sites on the web, Including the classifieds here. Many dealers have 'em as well.

And you can visit many campgrounds,,, Often if you visit a CG (Camp Ground) you will find trailers for sale there.. Often the owner of the trailer can meet you and show you around.

NOTE: WHEN YOU BUY, Plan on spending at least 2 days with the seller going over the trailer stem to stern, Learn where EVERYTHING is, epically fuses, circuit breakers, converters, Inverters, plumbing features including the water heater bypass.. Ask about every switch and control, And VIDEO TAPE the tour.

We get a lot of questions: Where is this fuse, or "What is this switch for" or Where is the ______ (Device)

I shortcutted my Delivery Inspection tour and missed a fuse box.. Thankfully I found it.. one day before I blew a very important fuse inside it.
Old 11-02-2013, 02:08 PM   #12

I am stationed at Ft. Riley (KS) and full~time in a 25ft Travel Trailer with my wife and 2 cats, wish we did it sooner. Pm me and I can list out things I keep on hand and answer any other questions you have.
TurboLQ9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 04:52 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
There are many used RV sites on the web, Including the classifieds here. Many dealers have 'em as well.

And you can visit many campgrounds,,, Often if you visit a CG (Camp Ground) you will find trailers for sale there.. Often the owner of the trailer can meet you and show you around.

NOTE: WHEN YOU BUY, Plan on spending at least 2 days with the seller going over the trailer stem to stern, Learn where EVERYTHING is, epically fuses, circuit breakers, converters, Inverters, plumbing features including the water heater bypass.. Ask about every switch and control, And VIDEO TAPE the tour.

We get a lot of questions: Where is this fuse, or "What is this switch for" or Where is the ______ (Device)

I shortcutted my Delivery Inspection tour and missed a fuse box.. Thankfully I found it.. one day before I blew a very important fuse inside it.
Thanks! I have a tendency to buy first and then try to discover stuff on my own. I didn't know my truck had power folding mirrors until I was sitting in it one day listening to XM and playing with switches after drinking a few beers (no, I wasn't driving, it was in my garage). That was two years after I bought it; should would have come in handy in DC!

As a newbie learning all I can about the locations of various things and how they work is very important. Trial and error is fine until there is a leak of some sort or I have a power issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboLQ9 View Post
I am stationed at Ft. Riley (KS) and full~time in a 25ft Travel Trailer with my wife and 2 cats, wish we did it sooner. Pm me and I can list out things I keep on hand and answer any other questions you have.
Sending a PM shortly!
Old 11-04-2013, 06:19 AM   #14

FM...Many of us pull into Walmart...SAM's Club, LOWES etc for an evening stay as we travel. These are RV friendly locations that allow truckers and RVers a parking lot space in most locations in exchanges for our customer loyalty and our respect for their property. I love to drive out on a Friday evening after work and go as far on my drive as possible and find a Walmart to pull in and stay. I do my dinner shopping ...watch some TV and hit the sack. In the morning ...it is a shower and back on the road to go do some cycling. When i visit my elderly parents...I take the gal and dogs and RV. We stay in the Walmart parking lot each evening in their town and I drive the RV up into their neighborhood during the day. Gives me a relaxing place to fall off the grid no matter where I am.

Tags
advice, full time, full timer, help with purchase, military, repair