Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-19-2019, 08:52 PM   #29

I have had bad experience with Americas Mailbox. Ive been with them 4 years. I would use someone else.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-20-2019, 08:07 PM   #30

I haven't got that far yet to think about health insurance when I go full time...bad enough dealing with it without going full time...lol

You MUST always read the language of your own particular plan its where the devil hides

Eric usually does some pretty good videos as he has been full timing for some time . Since the OP, and perhaps others, was thinking of South Dakota for residency his video was a pretty good walk through of the process.

All Youtubers do the sponsor/money/views-reviews/ support me/patreon/live view/ yada, yada but there are some very educational informative ones too

Daniel
Rvlegaleagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 03:09 PM   #31

Newmar Owners Club
We are not happy with Americas Mailbox either. Not very good customer service and they do nickel and dime you. We do our own vehicle registrations, very easy to do. Just call County Treas. and they will talk you through it; can all be done online or via mail.

Airedale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 03:17 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobkat3080 View Post
We use America's Mailbox and are VERY unhappy. They cannot follow simple instructions and will milk you for every dime they can.
Agree! After 2 years with them I moved to Dakotapost.net in Sioux Falls. Better service and their fees for different services are much less.
tizzyfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 03:55 PM   #33

We have been full-timers for 12 years and have used Americas Mailbox in Rapid City, SD. This offers you a legal residence, voting in local and national elections, mail delivery to wherever you are located at the time, license plate tags (they do it all and send the stickers to you), lower car insurance and medical insurance costs than we had in NV and you only have to go back every 5 years for a new drivers license picture. We highly recommend them plus you can do the application via the mail, but you need to go there for your initial drivers license
SteveNV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 04:00 PM   #34

We have been with Your Best Address in Sioux Falls since 2010. Excellent service. Will walk you through everything you need to do. Highly recommended..
Jweems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 05:22 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lv2Roam2 View Post
Americas Mailbox is a full-service outfit in Box Elder, SD (near Rapid City) ... website provides a lot of info.
America's Mailbox SERIOUSLY dropped the ball with our registration. I started 2 1/2 months before my tag expired, overnighted every request to them and they just sat on my file until time ran out. I had to pay the property taxes in my home state to get a tag to get my warranty work done before it expired.
If I go down the SD road again, I am now $5100 in the hole from the get go.

Use somebody else...ANYBODY else.

JET
JETCU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 06:33 PM   #36

I find South Dakota very Rv friendly, we signed up with Myhomeaddress.com they take good care of you.

Zzotte
Old 06-27-2019, 06:48 PM   #37

Hi Mr. Itchy T I’m from Louisiana also. Anyway, we FT and use Dakota Post. We’ve been very happy with the service. Like someone said, the lady that gives you all the info about registering your vehicles is quite brusque, that’s the nicest word I can use here. Anyway, everyone else has been great.

Regardless of where you get your mail, you don’t have to go there to get a driver’s license. Sioux Falls is on the other side of the state from our “residence”, Belle Fourche, was so much more convenient at the time. We’ve never even been to Sioux Falls. We got our drivers license last.

When you go to the DMV, don’t forget your mailbox agreement, the DMV recognizes these addresses and wants to see the paperwork.

It sounds complicated but it’s not that bad , they give you a check list
and you do one thing at a time.
nancybninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 08:13 PM   #38

Something to consider

We just traveled to and from Box Elder to set up our residency, registration, drivers licenses, and address, Decide to use America's Mailbox. Pennington county boasts the it does not have a wheel tax which some counties employ. Don't know what amount that results in, but it is another tax in some places. Driver's license was easy. Registration and title took 1 3/4 hours because the agent who waited on us was also answering the phone & we have 3 vehicles. Be aware if you use a credit card at America's Mailbox they add an additional fee. All in all it was a pretty easy and stress free process.
Reodad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 08:26 PM   #39

I use Dakota Post. Registered a coach and a car with them. The handle it all for $50. Each. I smile every time I pay their yearly fee of $127, because they save me well over $1000 per year in licensing and insurance costs.
WinnieJurney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 08:42 PM   #40

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveNV View Post
We have been full-timers for 12 years and have used Americas Mailbox in Rapid City, SD. This offers you a legal residence, voting in local and national elections, mail delivery to wherever you are located at the time, license plate tags (they do it all and send the stickers to you), lower car insurance and medical insurance costs than we had in NV and you only have to go back every 5 years for a new drivers license picture. We highly recommend them plus you can do the application via the mail, but you need to go there for your initial drivers license
Steve, you can renew your drivers license every other 5 years online. I did mine in 2017. You only have to go to SD every 10 years.

AND... My Home Address in Emery offers all the same services, but I bet your insurance will be lower with them. Emery is a tiny rural town of 400 people. Typically small town insurance rates are lower than the bigger city rates. Also, being a full time RVer is all the excuse you need for being exempted from jury duty.

My Home Address, INC
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 08:52 PM   #41

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by WinnieJurney View Post
I use Dakota Post. Registered a coach and a car with them. The handle it all for $50. Each. I smile every time I pay their yearly fee of $127, because they save me well over $1000 per year in licensing and insurance costs.
You pay $50/vehicle to handle yearly registration? I can’t remember for sure, but I believe I only pay $10/vehicle.

Hanson county only has a $2 wheel tax and the website confirms that their county has the lowest vehicle insurance rates in SD.

My Home Address, INC

Switch and I’ll split the referral bonus with you.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 11:20 PM   #42

I used Dakota Post. Great people. Will help you with all aspects of the process. We planned our stay there for two days to get everything done but did it in one day.