Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-19-2019, 05:40 PM   #15

Didn't carry a spare on our 40' MH. Never needed one.... and we traveled constantly.

Full-timers typically don't have extra room for a tire in their bay. Changing it? Nope.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-19-2019, 06:01 PM   #16

Damon Owners Club
Never mind the complexity of jacking the unit up, bear
in mind that the lug nuts are torqued to 450-500lbs.
This is a job for professionals, they will get a tire
that is sized adequately for the situation.

JMHO
Mac99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 06:17 PM   #17

Don't get me wrong - I would never attempt to change the tire myself.

Finding a mobile tire service is not generally a problem, but finding a tire could be if you have an unusual size tire. Common tires shouldn't be a problem, but some rigs have a tire size which is not found everywhere, so those owners could be waiting a few days if they have a flat on a holiday weekend.
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 08:02 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbaraok View Post
5 years without a problem - how old were the tires when you purchased your rig. 5 years is about the replacement time.

Also, there is a difference between tires on a trailer/5er/pickup and the big truck tire a lot of us use on our motorhomes.

I put new ungraded G tires on the camper 2 years after I got it so they were only 3 years old. The truck tires were 6 years old and I had planned to get new ones that summer, but instead got a new truck.

Yes, there is a big difference between pickup tires and MH tires. Not sure I understand the comment, cause when a tire goes bad you will need to replace it no matter how you get it. Not having space for a tire is just a lame excuse for not wanting to carry a tire. It would not be my choice, but everyone has their own priorities.
Edit - Mr D has a 40' MH and 40k load capacity and you can't find space for a tire?? At a minimum I would strap a unmounted tire on the roof with a cargo rack. The best spare tire is one never used!
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 08:13 PM   #19

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by skypilot_1 View Post
Big difference it weight/size on carrying a spare tire for 45' Essex DP, then a TT or even a 5er for that matter.
For years we carried a shrink wrapped un-mounted 22.5 tire strapped between frame rails. Most DP tire size is between delivery truck and OTR truck. And not stocked by most tire shops. So having a spare casing can mean dif between stayin or goin. Never had to use it.
My rig uses the same size tires as a Prevost bus conversion. In fact my 365/70 tag tires may be bigger than what Prevost uses. And there is NO WHERE to store that size tire.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 08:52 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by grindstone01 View Post
...Not having space for a tire is just a lame excuse for not wanting to carry a tire...
“Lame”?! Srsly?!

Your condescension is wearing mighty thin.
RiverBurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 02:34 AM   #21

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
My rig uses the same size tires as a Prevost bus conversion. In fact my 365/70 tag tires may be bigger than what Prevost uses. And there is NO WHERE to store that size tire.
Ours are 315/80, are larger then most OTR truck tires, same as you. Fastest we could get new tire on the road is a couple days. And on the Alaska trip....... longer.
Found I could carry one just ahead of rear axle between frame rails. As I said, never needed it.
skypilot_1 is offline   Reply With Quote