Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-26-2017, 09:08 PM   #1

States where you can live in RV off land out West?

My husband and I are just doing preliminary research into full-time rv-ing. We are possibly interested in doing this someday. Are there any places in Colorado, Montana,Idaho,Wyoming,South Dakota or Oregon where one can purchase land and legally live on it in an RV on or off-grid. We are not interested in California,Arizona, or Nevada because of extreme heat. Thank you for any help.
Watersafyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-26-2017, 09:22 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watersafyre View Post
My husband and I are just doing preliminary research into full-time rv-ing. We are possibly interested in doing this someday. Are there any places in Colorado, Montana,Idaho,Wyoming,South Dakota or Oregon where one can purchase land and legally live on it in an RV on or off-grid. We are not interested in California,Arizona, or Nevada because of extreme heat. Thank you for any help.
This may be interesting -
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 09:25 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Carolina Campers
2 summers ago I spent 2 weeks in Arizona in August. I'd rather die... Good choice on avoiding Arizona.

i'll be interested to see the answers on this one.
Old 06-26-2017, 09:41 PM   #4

Yes. I think it will be interesting because honestly I have been looking around,but maybe not searching the right way. If we ever just lived in an Rv and travelled, I would visit the warmer states in the wintertime.
Watersafyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 09:58 PM   #5

I'm definitely following this one!!! My wife and I are thinking of doing the same thing when we retire in about 4 years...
watersupply is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 06:55 AM   #6
paz

Quote:
...Are there any places in Colorado, Montana,Idaho,Wyoming,South Dakota or Oregon where one can purchase land and legally live on it in an RV on or off-grid...
Zoning restrictions are probably the only major obstacle so if you buy land out in the country where there is no zoning you should be able to live on that land in anything you want.

The only other restriction would be to comply with any environmental laws on waste water disposal so you may need to build a qualified septic system.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 07:01 AM   #7

Paz hit it on the head. this won't be a state question but rather one of local ordinances. I am sure every one of the named states has places you can do what you want but in every one you will have to check and comply with whatever the local rules are.
sbleiweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 07:06 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Local zoning, ordinances and building codes are your only concerns. Abide by them depending on where you want to relocate and you should be good to go.

Stock up your RV and start wandering around those states you had mentioned to see what possibilities you have.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 10:57 AM   #9

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
You do realize there are a lot of areas in CA and AZ where it is cool in the summer, right? And why would anyone want to be in MT, ID, SD in the winter? As for Oregon, cold in the winter, except for the coast which is rainy, can get very hot in the summer. Noticed you didn't include WA - why?
Blog
Barbaraok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 03:25 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
You might need to consider water rights in a lot of those western states, also. Add Utah to your list, anyway. X2 on Washington, also
Stripe34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 03:45 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Well, year round temps are either hotter than heck in the summer and mild winters, or butt cold in the winters and mild summers, or, like here in the SLC area, both. However, that is what appeals to me about rv's. I can chase the 75 degree weather, rather than live in one place. So, if you're gonna be off the grid, where's your power and water coming from, and your waste water going? You gonna buy a lot of solar cells ($$$$ and uncertain power) and drill a well ($$$$$ and water of uncertain quality and quantity) and put in a septic system($$$$$$$$ with all the permits) or just wing it? Seems cheaper and more reliable to be on the grid.
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 07:56 PM   #12

I agree it is hard to find a place with nice weather year round, that does not already have insanely high cost of living, high population density, etc. Having said that you might be better off with a summer place and a winter place. I kind of toy with such thoughts myself, and spotted a potential such place in Montana a few weeks ago, it was a small stream front lot with a storage shed of some type on it, with water and sewer (maybe a well for water). It was located in the mountains SE of Saratoga WY. In did not check zoning issues, etc. I know there were other nearby cabins though, I don't recall the price, it may have been $30,000 or may have been $150,000.

For a winter time spot I just ran across this listing (only about 30 miles from where I live now) for a camp site in east Texas. https://www.trulia.com/property/3261...-Call-TX-75933 I think the price was around $30,000 but don't see a dollar amount now. Looks a little rough, but may have potential. This part of east Texas does get some cold weather in the winter, but it rarely stays below freezing for over 24 hours, and highs in the 70's and occasionally 80's are common off and on all winter most years.
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 10:01 PM   #13

Why not build a pole barn to "store" your rv in? Add a bath, car port and or patio to enjoy the outside. Make sure you build to codes, just have gravel for the floor. Or concrete pad for the wheels, Mount the Sat dish on the side and you have a place. Rent it to your friends when your not using it....

Sam
2005 Renegade #1204 42 footer Columbia M3200CH-435,12 speed auto Cat 12 kw Genset, Roadtrip Mission in-mot Dish Network, Washer dryer combo, Jeep Liberty toad,1973 Cessna Skylane,1955 Chev 210 Belair survivor
samcrimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 10:42 PM   #14

One of your issues will be 'living in an RV'

Most zoning laws only allow that while in the process of building a home or do not allow it at all.
Mobile homes, manufactured homes, site built homes are allowed........has to do with Square Footage restrictions

Many deeded lots within developed campgrounds/parks/resorts one can live on site.

We checked into this several years ago when we were FT traveling.......ran into lots of zoning ordinances/laws both county and state that prohibited RV Living on piece of land

Good luck..........
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote