Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-27-2017, 11:54 PM   #15
dp7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watersafyre View Post
My husband and I are just doing preliminary research into full-time rv-ing. We are possibly interested in doing this someday. Are there any places in Colorado, Montana,Idaho,Wyoming,South Dakota or Oregon where one can purchase land and legally live on it in an RV on or off-grid. We are not interested in California,Arizona, or Nevada because of extreme heat. Thank you for any help.
I know you are not interested in California (can't blame you!). Riverside county has an ordinance that requires a minimum of 750 square feet of living space. You may want to check if the places you are considering have a similar requirement.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-28-2017, 05:29 AM   #16
cwk

American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
There have been a number of prior discussions about the topic of owning land to park an RV.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f92/build...ty-309055.html

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f64/ideal...ml#post3258634

In the FIRST thread, see post # 17. It describes what one couple in Indiana did. Unfortunately, the link to the actual article does not work. Tiffin moved it. HOWEVER, I was determined and found the article on Tiffin's website. Go to: http://www.tiffinmotorhomes.com/owne...ng-it-smoothly

Then, select "2012" then "Summer" in their quarterly publication. Finally, look for page #36 (PDF page #20) and you can read about the couple. Pictures included!

Hope these help.
cwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 06:27 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwk View Post
There have been a number of prior discussions about the topic of owning land to park an RV.

In the FIRST thread, see post # 17. It describes what one couple in Indiana did. Unfortunately, the link to the actual article does not work. Tiffin moved it. HOWEVER, I was determined and found the article on Tiffin's website. Go to: http://www.tiffinmotorhomes.com/owne...ng-it-smoothly

Then, select "2012" then "Summer" in their quarterly publication. Finally, look for page #36 (PDF page #20) and you can read about the couple. Pictures included!

Hope these help.
http://maxcdn.tiffinmotorhomes.com/s...2%20Summer.pdf

Go to page 36 - Scroll down.

Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 07:07 AM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
I give you Puerto Rico. Annual high 95 degrees. Annual low 75 degrees. Daily temperature swing 10 degrees. And the west coast beaches near Rincon.
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 10:51 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by paz View Post
Zoning restrictions are probably the only major obstacle so if you buy land out in the country where there is no zoning you should be able to live on that land in anything you want.

The only other restriction would be to comply with any environmental laws on waste water disposal so you may need to build a qualified septic system.
Thank you. I definitely have a lot to learn first and appreciate your input.
Watersafyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 10:55 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
Local zoning, ordinances and building codes are your only concerns. Abide by them depending on where you want to relocate and you should be good to go.

Stock up your RV and start wandering around those states you had mentioned to see what possibilities you have.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Great idea
Old 06-28-2017, 11:07 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbaraok View Post
You do realize there are a lot of areas in CA and AZ where it is cool in the summer, right? And why would anyone want to be in MT, ID, SD in the winter? As for Oregon, cold in the winter, except for the coast which is rainy, can get very hot in the summer. Noticed you didn't include WA - why?
Well, for the winter maybe we could travel some to dry warm areas. We have no rv or anything as of now. Actually Washingtom would be very nice too. These were just some of the places I was looking at. In some ways summer is harder for me and staying cool is a must. Thank you for your input.
Old 06-28-2017, 11:14 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripe34 View Post
You might need to consider water rights in a lot of those western states, also. Add Utah to your list, anyway. X2 on Washington, also
Thank you. I did not consider water rights. I will check into Utah as well. I have never been past Colorado.
Old 06-28-2017, 11:19 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyMac View Post
Well, year round temps are either hotter than heck in the summer and mild winters, or butt cold in the winters and mild summers, or, like here in the SLC area, both. However, that is what appeals to me about rv's. I can chase the 75 degree weather, rather than live in one place. So, if you're gonna be off the grid, where's your power and water coming from, and your waste water going? You gonna buy a lot of solar cells ($$$$ and uncertain power) and drill a well ($$$$$ and water of uncertain quality and quantity) and put in a septic system($$$$$$$$ with all the permits) or just wing it? Seems cheaper and more reliable to be on the grid.
Right and so very much to consider. I think travelling if possible to start when and if this is possible would be preferable. I think I would like to be on the road awhile. That is why I have to learn as much as I can now. Thank you very much for your help.
Old 06-28-2017, 11:26 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac-1 View Post
I agree it is hard to find a place with nice weather year round, that does not already have insanely high cost of living, high population density, etc. Having said that you might be better off with a summer place and a winter place. I kind of toy with such thoughts myself, and spotted a potential such place in Montana a few weeks ago, it was a small stream front lot with a storage shed of some type on it, with water and sewer (maybe a well for water). It was located in the mountains SE of Saratoga WY. In did not check zoning issues, etc. I know there were other nearby cabins though, I don't recall the price, it may have been $30,000 or may have been $150,000.

For a winter time spot I just ran across this listing (only about 30 miles from where I live now) for a camp site in east Texas. https://www.trulia.com/property/3261...-Call-TX-75933 I think the price was around $30,000 but don't see a dollar amount now. Looks a little rough, but may have potential. This part of east Texas does get some cold weather in the winter, but it rarely stays below freezing for over 24 hours, and highs in the 70's and occasionally 80's are common off and on all winter most years.
I think the idea of two spots is a good one if it were feasible. Of course we would have to find something reasonably priced or owner financed. Thank you for your input.
Old 06-28-2017, 11:30 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by samcrimm View Post
Why not build a pole barn to "store" your rv in? Add a bath, car port and or patio to enjoy the outside. Make sure you build to codes, just have gravel for the floor. Or concrete pad for the wheels, Mount the Sat dish on the side and you have a place. Rent it to your friends when your not using it....

Sam
Do people do this? Wow, that is a very good idea. Thank you.
Old 06-28-2017, 11:33 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
One of your issues will be 'living in an RV'

Most zoning laws only allow that while in the process of building a home or do not allow it at all.
Mobile homes, manufactured homes, site built homes are allowed........has to do with Square Footage restrictions

Many deeded lots within developed campgrounds/parks/resorts one can live on site.

We checked into this several years ago when we were FT traveling.......ran into lots of zoning ordinances/laws both county and state that prohibited RV Living on piece of land

Good luck..........
Thank you for sharing your experience. I wonder if there are any lots that aren't crazy expensive. I don't even know where to look for that.
Old 06-28-2017, 11:38 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by dp7 View Post
I know you are not interested in California (can't blame you!). Riverside county has an ordinance that requires a minimum of 750 square feet of living space. You may want to check if the places you are considering have a similar requirement.
Thank you. We may want to visit California, but if we actually decide to buy land I will definitely check into all the min sq. footage requirements too.
Old 06-28-2017, 11:41 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwk View Post

Hope these help.
Thank you so very much. I appreciate it. I will definitely check it out.