Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-23-2016, 07:06 AM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
Storage do's and don't's

Please share any mistakes you made and tips on how to pack stuff.
Suzie & Chuck USNR USAF USCGA Challenger Owners Club 2015 37KT Challenger, Demco Commander tow bar, Ready Brake, Sewer Solutions, Safe-T-Plus 41-230, 5-Star tune, towing 2017 Ford Edge FWD 3.6L V-6 four down & 385 FastTrack kayak in the basement.
Summer - Creede, CO Winter - Okeechobee, FL
ctpres is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-23-2016, 07:12 AM   #2

Not sure what you are asking Chuck. How to pack the MH to put it into storage? We just park it as is, leaving the refer door ajar and plugged into power.
sbleiweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 07:44 AM   #3
paz

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctpres View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbleiweiss View Post
Not sure what you are asking Chuck. How to pack the MH to put it into storage? We just park it as is, leaving the refer door ajar and plugged into power.
...or because this is the full-time forum, are you asking how to pack household items you're planning to keep for storage?
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 07:55 AM   #4

Paper towels between glass plates and dishes in the cupboards to prevent rattling.

If your fridge doesn't already have bars to contain sliding items, purchase some inexpensive ones from camping store.

If you have a residential fridge, install a supplemental latching system to prevent the fridge from coming open when you run over that curb . . . . don't ask me why I know this . . .

make a rack in the front genny compartment, or propane compartment for gutter material for stinky slinky . . . also works great to hold that LONG hose you bought!

Roadmaster spare tire carrier to hold that spare tire and not take valuable under coach storage space, (but that's really another discussion!)

Plastic storage trays in overhead cupboards to store DvD's, games and such so you can pull out entire tray to go through instead of having to stand on stool to see what's in them.

If you have an older coach, replace the CRT TV's with flat screens. Mount the one in the bedroom on a swing are and use space behind to store linen and such!

Build or buy small baskets to install by the night lights on either side of bed for things like emergency flashlights, ear plugs, chapstick, or whatever.

In pass through or undercoach, build a wood tray that extends above the frame rail to store brooms, beach umbrellas, stick thingie used to install magna shade on front winshield.

That ought to get you started!
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 12:25 PM   #5

Argh..... I want to do some target practice on the red moving critter.

As far as storing things in your RV....there are really no issues. Just load it up with necessities. For the kitchen, scale down. What appliances would you use doing a month period in your home? That's what you'll probably want to take along. Some appliances can be used in many ways such as the crockpot. We used Corelle for dishes. Don't think of this as a camping trip. Think of it as you're home and pack, as such.

For the basement, we used stackable plastic boxes. If you can see through them - better. If not, pack like items together and label the boxes. We got various sizes at WalMart.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 01:01 PM   #6

We find that labeling storage containers inside is especially helpful. We have a 5th wheel with a bank of cabinets that will hold shoe box size containers. We label them with the contents which makes it much easier for us to find things. We put the non skid shelf liner between our dishes and pans but do not do anything else. We store everything away when traveling. We never leave anything out on the counters, etc.
jpharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 01:55 PM   #7

Triple E Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Don't put a large Jars of pickled eggs at the front of the fridge.
End result(*_(_))(*+^&%$
Ted Lambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 03:19 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctpres View Post
Hang from legs and drain blood.

Cut off legs, arms and head.

Wrap separately and freeze.
dexters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 09:30 AM   #9

For all the items loaded in the basement I have the plastic bins numbered with a sheet of paper inside with what is contained in the bin. Also have a spreadsheet on the 'puter that has all items inventoried in bin # and location. Makes it real easy if I am looking for something instead of asking where in the world is that? Memory is not what it used to be...
I used to have so much 'stuff' I don't recall what I have and what I had.
I also went a step further and weighed the bins so I know what I can and what must be disposed of/sold/donated.
It's a bit extreme but it works for me.
Old 05-30-2016, 08:08 PM   #10

I have the plastic/stackable bins but not sure of best way to carry our chairs? Anyone found a good way to carry them?
Mean1255 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 12:07 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean1255 View Post
I have the plastic/stackable bins but not sure of best way to carry our chairs? Anyone found a good way to carry them?
I am in the process of installing brackets on the basement ceiling to hold the chairs and ladder.

Think of something like this but doing it with plastic tubing:
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...ac80475df9.jpg

Tags
storage