RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-27-2016, 04:47 PM   #1

Stuff....so much stuff.

We moved a year ago, and in the process we got rid of a bunch. This month, we emptied out our storage unit and started going thru the stuff again, getting rid of more. Can't believe that we brought some of it with us. So much crap. It's a painful process, and I can't believe how much extra crap we have.

There is some stuff that we plan on keeping - family keepsakes, photos, and some stuff we just don't want to part with. We don't plan on more than a couple years full time before we settle down someplace.

Any advice on sorting thru the pile of stuff accumulated thru life, other than do it several times?

aknavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-27-2016, 06:38 PM   #2

You moved a year ago and put the excess in a storage unit. Other than family treasures, I'm sure you didn't miss anything else you've been paying storage fees on.... so this time - just get rid of it!!!

twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 07:05 PM   #3

So true....as I sort thru the stuff that was in storage, all I can do is ask "Why?". This time around, it will be minimal. All the furniture and household stuff is going to either sell or be donated. The only thing besides family stuff that I have a hard time with is tools.....a good tool collection is hard to part with. On the other hand, my Dad is a retired auto shop owner who took all his tools to his home shop, so I can really have all the tools I want, as long as I'm willing to haul them home. Guess I just made that decision!
Old 11-28-2016, 05:08 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Just posted on another thread.Downsizing... For me it is all going. Family was here for Thanksgiving and gave away whatever they wanted. Sold 4700 worth of "stuff" so far this year. 8 months before I retire. I have one BR where if I want it it goes in there. Otherwise it goes on CL and/or eBay. I list a couple things every week and it ALL has to go by the time I retire. The house is being sold and no way I am paying storage. Some things I like and won't be going with me, a picture will have to do.
I tell you it feels awesome and I can't wait for it all to be gone and I am on the road.
Old 11-28-2016, 08:23 PM   #5

Yeah, it feels good to see the extra stuff go. I can't wait to really start clearing out - furniture, housewares, etc. That'll have to wait until we're closer to the trip, but the storage stuff is steadily going.
Old 11-28-2016, 08:35 PM   #6

I found a "picker" thru a local auction house.
All of the stuff that owed me nuthin was bartered, agreed, paid and gone in the same day!
Can you say "not difficult?"

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 09:26 AM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Several sorts, Call a local thrift store (Salvation Army, or anyone other than Goodwill) load up their truck, and rent a smaller storage unit.
Old 11-30-2016, 08:33 AM   #8

As I said in the other thread. My wife and I are more minimalist than most.

Here is a funny George Carlin take on stuff. I saw this a long time ago and even though it is comedy it stuck with me.

CarolynanBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 11:01 AM   #9

Please, no more stuff!
markandkim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 04:00 PM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
Just wait till you figure out there is to much "stuff" in the RV and you begin moving stuff from RV into storage originally used for s&b stuff.
Suzie & Chuck USNR USAF USCGA Challenger Owners Club 2015 37KT Challenger, Demco Commander tow bar, Ready Brake, Sewer Solutions, Safe-T-Plus 41-230, 5-Star tune, towing 2017 Ford Edge FWD 3.6L V-6 four down & 385 FastTrack kayak in the basement.
Summer - Creede, CO Winter - Okeechobee, FL
ctpres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 04:42 PM   #11

We had an Estate Auction
Told family/friends come get what you want cause it is GOING/GONE

Then Estate Auction .........
EVERYTHING was bid on and SOLD in one day

We had already put things in RV we:
Wanted....personal/family which we kept to a minimal
Needed---the basics
Thought we needed.......good to have/might need etc

End of Auction we had $$$$$ we set aside for 'WHAT IFs' and didn't have to do anything but watch the folks squabble over our 'stuff'
Some things went LOW ----some things About What We Figured-----Lot of stuff HIGH (laughably HIGH)

Then 1st 6 mos. on the road traveling we found that that stuff in the 'Thought We Needed' category------we didn't need cause we hadn't used it in those 6 mos.

6 mos later...........same thing---if not used then GONE

After 1st year we were down to things/stuff that we actually used.
Then we went with the 1 bag in---2 bags out routine (something in/something goes)

Found out life is so mush more enjoyable w/o all the stuff
To this day we still only have stuff that we actually use

Just Say NO!
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 06:56 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
And after you get rid of all the junk, you don't have room to put more stuff in your RV, therefore you can't buy more, and your expenses go down even more! More money to travel, go out and enjoy life.
Old 12-05-2016, 07:40 AM   #13

Sold the house, sold or gave away the furniture, three garage sales, took so many loads to Goodwill that they knew me by my first name. We are left with a 5x10 storage unit so that the price was low. I agree with someone else's post, I have a hard time getting rid of the tools.

partskenn is offline   Reply With Quote