Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-17-2013, 12:17 PM   #1

Sugar ants

Have a sugar ant problem and can't figure out how to get rid of them. Tryed any traps seven dust, around the motorhome And, comet any suggestions
david2499 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-17-2013, 12:35 PM   #2

I'm not sure what a sugar ant really is. But, I had ants in my house one time and found a product called "Terro" to be quite effective. You put it on little pieces of paper and the ants suck it up, take it back to the nest, and eventually it kills the queen. If you can't kill the queen you won't kill the colony that's why the sprays don't work.

Now, I have camped at sites where I get these tiny, little bitty, ants in the TT. Because they are at the site I'm camping at I can't get rid of them. After I come back home I have killed the ones I see with spray and the rest will die off in a few days without the colony to support them. But, as soon as I go back to that same camping site they come back in. I've never found a way to stop them.
Caveman CBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 01:07 PM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
There are two types of ants - those that eat sugar and those that eat grease/animal protein.
I have successfully used the bait cans by buying different brands with different ingredients and putting 12 or so of them down at once. Some brands seem to kill one kid and other brands the other.
Old 02-17-2013, 01:13 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I spray WD-40 on the hoses prior to the entry point in the coach. Where it comes in contact with the ground, baby powder.

I also put baby powder around the tires, and jacks. This has eliminated the problem with very little effort. We often camp in areas that have ants.

Of course shoes stay outside.
redbaron73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 03:55 PM   #5

My mom said to use Terro.

My mom was right! It worked in Florida, Texas, California, and back home in Illinois. We keep the little liquid thingys on hand, and now the powder stuff, too, since we encountered them using our water hose as a ladder to climb into our coach. Just follow the directions. You'll find Terro at most any hardware store. Good luck!
jdocter7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 04:00 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
2X on the Terro
Dave Leeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 05:11 PM   #7

Texas Boomers Club
A solution of equal parts honey and borax is quite effective on sugar ants. Heat the honey and mix in the borax. Paint the paste on ant trails, entry points, around the base of counters, etc. Be sure and keep it out of the reach of pets and kids, though.

A Google search of "honey borax kill ants" will give you a lot more information if needed.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 05:52 PM   #8

Thank you everyone for your help we will try They suggestions
david2499 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 09:25 PM   #9

All the suggestions above do work very well. But you must follow up by washing with ammonia to destroy the ant trail. Soap and water or pine sol will not work as well without ammonia, but make sure to use no bleach at the same time. I also spray my hoses and wheels and supports with to destroy the ant trails. Good luck.
The 3 Bears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 06:30 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Terro now comes in several forms. You can also find it Lowe's, HD or online. Best thing we have found for just about any kind of ant. It does say to be careful with it with pets thou.
Old 03-07-2013, 08:42 AM   #11

I had the Ant problem for 4 months and $175 later , I tried every thing from home remedies to Home Depot, Raid,WD-40,Ant Traps, ground granules, you name it I bought it.

The Ants are living in your trailer!!

Final solution was this: (Best $45 I ever spent)

1) you will need a good sprayer ($25)

2) you have to find a commercial (proffessional) pest control place that sells the below pesticides (Google is your friend) Sometimes you have to sign a waiver to protect the pest control business.

3) The 3 products are:

A) Permethrin - outside only!!!! (Optional, has odor for a 1-2 days)

B) DemonWG - ant killer (inside, safe on pets,no odor.

C) I G Regulator- birth control, indoors, safe on pets,no odor.

You have to mix B&C together and spray inside your trailer (Everywhere). Cracks,corners,etc

Read directions for mixing. you should spray 2x in 14 days. Then maybe again a few months later

GOOD BYE ANTS!!!!!!!!!!!

During this Process, using retail stuff to stay on top of it is not a bad idea.
Pebbles bam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 08:47 AM   #12

Coffee grounds are a cheap way to keep ants away.
greezykid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 10:10 AM   #13

iRV2 No Limits Club
Most ants prefer sweets or greases, although they will gather the opposite during certain times depending on the Queen(s) needs and instructions to the workers.
The best bet, instead of trying all the standard things is to gather about 6 ants, without crushing them. The easiest way to do that is put them in a plastic bag and then in the freezer for 24 hours.

Take your samples to the local Agricultural Extension office. Most towns have them. Get an identification form an expert as to the exact species you are dealing with. That same person can recommend products that will work based on the specific species. It is usually free!!
Dog Folks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 10:40 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by david2499 View Post
Have a sugar ant problem and can't figure out how to get rid of them. Tryed any traps seven dust, around the motorhome And, comet any suggestions
In early Feb we picked up thousands of "Argentine Ants" at COE park in Texas...in only TWO DAYS.
Argentine ant - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
When we checked in, the park had warned us about the ant infestation and suggested we put Comet around the tires, jacks, hose and cord....(that did not protect our coach).
We killed what we could with ant spray and returned to Wisconsin hoping to freeze them out.
Did it work??........time will tell!

BTW, they completely ignored Torro, but got into a sealed doughnut package and onto the butter in a Tupperware butter dish.
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote